an idea from other MMOs

nickesco

Question

12 answers to this question

It's worth noting that everyone finds free things appealing, but most games that offer daily log-in rewards often tend to offer things in a way that incentivises / requires you to log-in daily to progress, which is a skinner-box design. these games also tend to be balanced around the assumption that you will have those items, meaning you typically aren't getting an advantaged from those items but they're rather just giving you the baseline resources needed to progress in the game.

Daily log-in items for PokeMMO would be a complicated feature to do right as we do not have many items that would be appropriate at base.

1. They'd likely have to be untradeable / unsellable otherwise they are just contributing to inflation and/or become problematic due to alts.
  2. If we give out X amount of Pokeballs or other seemingly trivial things then that can often contribute to 100% of a player's requirements easily, which means they aren't spending in-game cash on these items, which means less money is leaving the economy which lessens the amount that inflation is kept in check.
  3. as pokemmo was not balanced around the idea of freebies from the initial concept stage (unlike most of the skinner-box MMO's that utilise log-in bonuses) the game is balanced around what you can currently obtain reasonably, giving powerups or bonuses or freebies would either: 
    1. A) Result in the game just being easier for no real reason, or:
      B) we have to make the game harder to balance out the bonuses, but then it feels like you need to log in every day to get those bonuses or you're just behind and thus we've become a skinnerbox MMO.

For the reasons above I am unsure if PokeMMO is a good candidate for such features, even though I agree at first glance the concept of free things is indeed appealing.

23 minutes ago, Matoka said:

It's worth noting that everyone finds free things appealing, but most games that offer daily log-in rewards often tend to offer things in a way that incentivises / requires you to log-in daily to progress, which is a skinner-box design. these games also tend to be balanced around the assumption that you will have those items, meaning you typically aren't getting an advantaged from those items but they're rather just giving you the baseline resources needed to progress in the game.

Daily log-in items for PokeMMO would be a complicated feature to do right as we do not have many items that would be appropriate at base.

1. They'd likely have to be untradeable / unsellable otherwise they are just contributing to inflation and/or become problematic due to alts.
  2. If we give out X amount of Pokeballs or other seemingly trivial things then that can often contribute to 100% of a player's requirements easily, which means they aren't spending in-game cash on these items, which means less money is leaving the economy which lessens the amount that inflation is kept in check.
  3. as pokemmo was not balanced around the idea of freebies from the initial concept stage (unlike most of the skinner-box MMO's that utilise log-in bonuses) the game is balanced around what you can currently obtain reasonably, giving powerups or bonuses or freebies would either: 
    1. A) Result in the game just being easier for no real reason, or:
      B) we have to make the game harder to balance out the bonuses, but then it feels like you need to log in every day to get those bonuses or you're just behind and thus we've become a skinnerbox MMO.

For the reasons above I am unsure if PokeMMO is a good candidate for such features, even though I agree at first glance the concept of free things is indeed appealing.

You may be right, but if you can implement it good, there's no way you can't unbalance everything. I'll give you an example:

Let's say this is the firse 7 day login bonuses:

• Day 1: 3 Pokeballs
  • Day 2: 3 Pure water
  • Day 3: 5000 Pokedollars
  • Day 4: 2 Oran berries
  • Day 5: 2 sets of random seed (1 big, 2 smalls)
  • Day 6: 2 antidotes and 2 burn heals
  • Day 7: 1 direct hit, 1 speed x

We can say this is a less offensive balance problem, and the scale can go up without unbalance much from there. Now, we scale consecutive this:

• Day 8, 15, 22: Can be 3 of any pokeball, either be superballs, repeat balls, dusk ball, etc.
  • Day 9, 16, 23: Can scale up to: Soda pop, lemonade or moo moo milk.
  • Day 10, 17, 24: Can be up any types of money or well be a amulet coin (Since the nerf/buff). Be in mind you recive one of them every month, so they're not intrusive, since you have to constantly log in to get one.
  • Day 11, 18, 25: Can be any set of berries you can come up with.
  • Day 12, 19, 26: Any set of seeds. Seriously, any set, don't matter how, as long you will be able to plant at least 2 berries.
  • Day 13, 20, 27: Any set of stat healing items. (You can put a saffron box at day 27, again, you'll have to log in for 27 consecutive days, so it's a effort at least)
  • Day 14, 21, 28: Any set of battle stat boosters. (Same here, you can put a lucky egg small, since you have to log in for 28 consecutive days)

Now, once you get to the last big reward, your reward streak will reset, so you'll be back to reward 1: 3 Pokeballs

Also, you can make special login bonuses on holidays.

Noy, you see what i did there? Sonething not so intrussive, and doesn't affect the economy that much. I'll agree with the untradeable items tho.

Edited by RadicallDreamer
Forgot to put something

To be fair, the only way i could see daily login rewards be implemented is either:

A. An amulet coin (untradeable + expiers whitin 7days or less so you can stack until you feel like using them) that gives you 1-31% (login streak/resets first of the month) increased money for 1hour.

Or B. Exactly the same as the amulet coin but with lucky egg insteed.

Thus making the farm-/trade-able versions to still give an edge over the freebies.

Since 25%+ amulet coin could be considered pretty damn good i could see daily rewards go like: day1 1%coin, day2 1%egg, day3 2%coin, day4 2%egg... day30 15%egg, day31 16%coin.

Cant see anything else that would work as a daily reward besides maybe a daily potion ._.

The best way to handle daily login bonuses is to reward the player for actively playing after logging in rather than giving them the bonus outright. Giving the bonus outright only encourages keeping the streak alive and not actually engaging with gameplay. Ways to do this could be daily login quests that reward the player based on difficulty to complete and time to complete with the reward being larger the faster you complete the quest.

1 hour ago, FinnTheMember said:

I would like to see some special vanity for players who has over 1000 hour in game. or more.

The vanity wouldn't be special since a lot of players have way more than that amount. We already have special vanities like this (Pumpkin backpack and Scary hockey mask) which was only obtainable in events. So if you see a player with one of those it's basically a statement that they have been around for a while.

Edited by Goku
On 8/12/2019 at 4:49 PM, Goku said:

The vanity wouldn't be special since a lot of players have way more than that amount. We already have special vanities like this (Pumpkin backpack and Scary hockey mask) which was only obtainable in events. So if you see a player with one of those it's basically a statement that they have been around for a while.

Yeah you are right. Something else similar also ok. I just saw something similar in Runescape game. It was pretty cool. Giving player a special item and global announcement.

Edited by FinnTheMember
On 8/13/2019 at 12:39 PM, FinnTheMember said:

Yeah you are right. Something else similar also ok. I just saw something similar in Runescape game. It was pretty cool. Giving player a special item and global announcement.

They'd have to retroactively award users who had already crossed this threshold though otherwise those who were already over 1000 hours would feel slighted. This also means System Announcements would be going off the first time anyone at 1k hours or more logged in, which would honestly be annoying.