Set Difficulty

BoltBlades12

Question

What we should have as a feature is an adjustable difficulty for those who might be having trouble with Gym/E4 rematches(or storyline in general)

We should have a thing in settings that allows us to change the difficulty of NPC battles:

Ex. 

-Easy

-Normal

-Hard

-Impossible(the current difficulty setting)

And to balance everything out, there should be less yield of $$ and BP should you choose to do the lower difficulties, and as such, have higher rewards for people who complete the harder difficulties

15 answers to this question

I feel like the current difficulty is more "normal" then "impossible". 

Also, I feel like you should not be able to have an easier way. Maybe a choice for a harder E4 and greater rewards could be an idea but I don't feel like making things easier will truly help anyone grow as a player. Just my opinion though.

Edited by Vicanhson
47 minutes ago, hannahtaylor said:

The story is made to help you learn about pokemon. Natures, EVs, IVs, what's good against what etc. Having an easy story is going to make postgame even harder

Can’t teach people anything if they leave due to the difficulty.

2 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

It's only my opinion but if you feel like PokeMMO's storyline is too hard, maybe the game is just not meant for you and it's perfectly fine, no game can or will please everyone.

I feel like the staff wants to bring the game towards a more difficult post-story in the future and you can't really have that much separation of difficulty between both parts. 

I also think that the story is easy if you have played the vanilla games, know a bit about team composition, like types & stats (not even "hardcore" PvP teambuilding) and take the time to level your team to the level cap before each new gyms and the Elite Four.

Edited by Vicanhson
2 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Well, since I'm like 99% sure you probably don't even play the game, I need to ask you, have you seen a lot of people quitting? I see always a constant influx of new players, which means maybe it's pretty easy already.

The difficulty for the base game is fine. If you have a decent team you should do well and if not just level to the level cap and you can overcome difficulties. and if a difficulty change were possible it would make grinding for money via gym leaders and e4 way easier.

11 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

-Impossible(the current difficulty setting)

Spinda disagrees. 8 badges with only Spinda. Only part not possible was elite 4, but that was already predicted from the start. Honestly, most bets didn't have me beating 8 gyms with that team.

On topic here though. What MMO employs a difficulty system? I'm honestly curious what MMOs you are playing that do this because afaik there are zero. The reason being that the payoff is literally not worth the effort. You have to literally redesign almost everything from scratch, loot tables, spawns, AI algorithms, etc. Now you may ask, why would loot tables need redesigned? Well, you can't have players who are set to "Easy" getting payouts on par with players who are on higher difficulties. It's the same all the way up the ladder. The players who choose "Hard" mode shouldn't be compensated at the same rate as those on "Expert". If you have a single loot table for everything, "Easy" would become the defacto rate for everyone to play at. Those who simply want to keep up while getting a challenge will become frustrated and either leave or be forced to adjust their difficulty to keep up. It's literally not worth the effort.

18 hours ago, hannahtaylor said:

It's not hard if you prepare your pokemon correctly, use the right types and level to the cap 

Leveling to the cap is what bothers me most about the game. Defeating the Elite Four doesn't seem possible unless you level to the cap, which I had to do for almost every badge in Hoenn. Hoenn easily added about 100 hours to my playtime, just from all the grinding I had to do.

18 hours ago, DerpyBubblez said:

Leveling to the cap is what bothers me most about the game. Defeating the Elite Four doesn't seem possible unless you level to the cap, which I had to do for almost every badge in Hoenn. Hoenn easily added about 100 hours to my playtime, just from all the grinding I had to do.

You can't expect to beat someone if you're a low level xD

18 hours ago, DerpyBubblez said:

The cap just means you cant go higher than that pre e4, Id argue you should get mons to cap before going into e4, but if you already have comps and items, just faceroll it, if not, try haxorus, gengar, zam and similiar mons with proper natures, and IVs on the main stats at least like around 15 or higher.

6 hours ago, hannahtaylor said:

You can't expect to beat someone if you're a low level xD

I can be within 1 or 2 levels of an opponent, but not be able to defeat them. In that case, I have to grind to the level cap, which is not fun.

6 hours ago, razimove said:

The cap just means you cant go higher than that pre e4, Id argue you should get mons to cap before going into e4, but if you already have comps and items, just faceroll it, if not, try haxorus, gengar, zam and similiar mons with proper natures, and IVs on the main stats at least like around 15 or higher.

I'm really not into the game for competition. I originally wanted to just experience Pokemon White in a better way, but now I'm going for a living dex.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:17 PM, razimove said:

Well, since I'm like 99% sure you probably don't even play the game [...]

I do not agree with him but he is playing the game. Just saw him a few minutes ago while eving.

Spoiler

1565371905-20190809-132921.png

Edited by Vicanhson
Reformulating

Sorry to break it to you, but this story is far from impossible. You can literally beat the Elite 4 with just one or two pokemon. I know because I beat all 3 of the elite fours with just one pokemon in each and 2 HM slaves/backup to recover the main poke which I only had to do once in the E4.

If you truly feel like the NPC battles in this game are impossible in difficulty, I'd say make sure you're playing the game right. This isn't the OG nintendo game where spamming any attack and pressing A the whole time wins you every battle.

Also, people that quit because of this difficulty, would have quit anyhow when they would get stomped in later game rematches or PvP.

So I suggest you learn the basics of pokemon and RPG weaknesses, because when you know how to take advantage of the weakness, it's really not hard at all.

If anything, the unova story should be harder, if i could clear the whole story but E4 with a single timid 2x31 jolteon (well EV trained ofc) then anyone should be able to clear the story with the right coverage in team .-.

If you dont understand EVs IVs natute and weaknesses, well.. thats on you.