Discord rich presence

segalll

Question

If you don't know what discord rich presence is, it's that thing in discord which shows more info about the game a user is playing.

Example:2kujuVN.png

I think it would be cool to show the user's location in-game, time user has been playing, and stuff like that.

Edited by segalll
fix image

8 answers to this question

They haven't even made it possible for one player to look at other's stat even in-game, so really doubt the possibility of that being added on discord is nearby. But sure, could be a cool feature to have for those who want to share all that stuff with others.

Edited by Akshit
+1
6 hours ago, segalll said:

I think it would be cool to show the user's location in-game

/w <person username here> where are you?

it's that thing in discord which shows more info about the game a user is playing.

type in the name of the game on google

time user has been playing

add them on steam or ask directly, what the hell is up with all this stalkerish mentality stuff that u wanna know about people jeez.

8 hours ago, Akshit said:

They haven't even made it possible for one player to look at other's stat even in-game, so really doubt the possibility of that being added on discord is nearby. But sure, could be a cool feature to have for those who want to share all that stuff with others.

I swear if they ever make this and don't allow some to keep everything private, I'm probably only logging to play tours and that's it.  

Also, I do not see or understand the need for this, so I'm pretty neutral here.

I think it would be cool to show the user's location in-game

Yeah no thanks. Learn to communicate like normal human beings and ask where that person is through whisper.

Edited by razimove
9 hours ago, Kole said:

Would be easy to create all kinds of neat bots for discord if only we had an API to work with. Cough.

Don't really need a public API mind you. However, the effort and time put into making a bot when they can add the most requested info in game isn't worth the payoff.

1 minute ago, XelaKebert said:

Don't really need a public API mind you. However, the effort and time put into making a bot when they can add the most requested info in game isn't worth the payoff.

I think an API and info inside mmo are two different things in this context. I can see the value in an API but also understand that it will probably never happen. The discussion about discord bots was also independent of mmo devs completely, as it would be a user project.

Long time Xela, hope all has been well o/

3 hours ago, Kole said:

I think an API and info inside mmo are two different things in this context. I can see the value in an API but also understand that it will probably never happen. The discussion about discord bots was also independent of mmo devs completely, as it would be a user project.

Long time Xela, hope all has been well o/

The value of a public API is debatable for an MMO with respect to PokeMMO. The info that most want to pull with it is something you can easily get logging into game. Plus you would still need to get approval from the dev team for how you are using the API. There would need to be tight control over how the data can be used for various reasons that can include legal reasons related to privacy. As an example, wanting to check the GTL for listings via an API doesn't really serve a purpose. Being able to purchase from the GTL via a 3rd app would require things like encryption and token exchanges, which are massive pains to create, to ensure proper authentication. So being able to even view GTL data would just be pointless as the listing you want may well be sold by the time you log in. The devs will not just let you hook into the normal authentication means as that is fraught with security issues. Odds are if the devs want any external apps pulling data from their servers they will be coding them on their own rather than letting the community create them.

As for Discord bots and rich presence, this was something that I had an idea for once upon a time, but the value of which was deemed to be not worth the effort put into it. As an example, a dex bot that would return the spawn info for a given species or location. There really isn't value in having that info available on Discord as it can be easily found in game. Info on where your friends are located is something that could be added to that window. You'd have to find a balance between value and effort to create. Both working with APIs and creating bots and rich presences requires extra effort that may not even be worth the payoff, which would be largely minimal.