Talk About “Donations”

BoltBlades12

Simply put, the term “donations” in terms of getting reward points with real life money is simply false advertising.

It should just be called in-game/in-MMO purchases.

I am aware that a donation is a gift for a cause, like charities and such.

But when you donate for those, usually you don’t get anything out of it, other than the feeling of benevolence in your heart, a good reputation, or maybe a pat on the back.

So in other words, when you truly donate, you don’t necessarily get a material incentive out of it.

Hence, why PokeMMO calling the purchase of reward points with real money “donations” is just clear false advertising and an attempt to hide the fact that a profit is being made.

If it really was a donation, it’d go along the terms of:

“If you enjoy our game, please consider donating to our cause for support”

Meaning that people would donate purely to support the game and not for any other reason.

In other words, you wouldn’t be getting any reward points if it truly was a donation.

Because by that logic, I’m “donating” if I buy Gems on Clash of Clans or PokeCoins in Pokemon Go.

Not implying that PokeMMO is 100% P2W as you can win without spending a cent. Just pointing out that calling micro-transactions “donations” is inaccurate and false advertising.

Comment below if you want, I’m just making my case/point clear.

Edited by BoltBlades12

Why are you being a hater?

They donated their time to make this game for free.

they offered the incentive of reward points if you donated real money so they can continue creating content.

all your shit talking seems to imply that you think all they do is eat, sleep and work on this game.

let Them make money for their work

because they obviously put a lot into it.

if you don’t like the speed that they release content then you are free to find another Pokémon mmo

5 hours ago, HaileSelassie said:

they offered the incentive of reward points if you donated real money so they can continue creating content.

all your shit talking seems to imply that you think all they do is eat, sleep and work on this game.

if you don’t like the speed that they release content then you are free to find another Pokémon mmo

I’m not being a hater, I’m just pointing out that calling the purchase of Reward Points with real money “donations” is just false advertising.

7 hours ago, HaileSelassie said:

Look, I don't even agree with this guy, but either way, you're totally wrong.

They did not donate their time, they invested their time. They expected enough people to be interested, given the title of the game, that they would sell, meaning they are selling you a product indirectly, you might not buy, but you might advertise to your friends and so on, one of them will end up buying. 

So please, don't white knight them, that's also wrong.

5 hours ago, Malorne said:

Its just a legal loophole to avoid the term "ingame purchase" for a fanmade game, dont dwell on it too much

Exactly this.

Edited by razimove
xd
1 hour ago, BoltBlades12 said:

I’m not being a hater, I’m just pointing out that calling the purchase of Reward Points with real money “donations” is just false advertising.

It's not false advertising.

You are obtaining exactly what is being advertised.

It's not as if you're unsure whether or not the 500RP you are about to obtain actually is 500 RP and not 500 BP.

Edited by Tyrone

What are you  even talking about. PokeMMO is a non-profit organization dedicated to care for people with special needs. (such as OP.)

Your donations contribute to the cause and as a reward you are given the option to collect some in-game goods.

You might choose to keep your reward points without spending them.

Edited by axx
1 minute ago, mxdzzz said:

Not agree. In real life, I have seen a lady collecting donation for kids, she gave me a chocolate bar as the reward. :D 

Though that was more of a incentive of generosity, NOT a purchase. You didn't buy that chocolate bar with the money you donated, you donated for the kids and you got a small incentive.

The same case does not apply here, as you HAVE to purchase reward points with real money.

Again, if Reward Points purchases classify as "donations", then by that logic, the purchase of Gems in Clash of Clans, PokeCoin in Pokemon Go, etc. also count as "donations"

23 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

It's not false advertising.

You are obtaining exactly what is being advertised.

It's not as if you're unsure whether or not the 500RP you are about to obtain actually is 500 RP and not 500 BP.

Yes, I know what I'm getting the reward points I'm paying for when I pay for them.

That's not the point I'm trying to make

The false advertising part is calling them "donations" when they're reallly just in-MMO purchases.

45 minutes ago, razimove said:

Look, I don't even agree with this guy, but either way, you're totally wrong.

They did not donate their time, they invested their time. They expected enough people to be interested, given the title of the game, that they would sell, meaning they are selling you a product indirectly, you might not buy, but you might advertise to your friends and so on, one of them will end up buying. 

So please, don't white knight them, that's also wrong.

I'm not white knighting anyone. I'm just pointing out the fact that the purchase of Reward Points with real money is an IN-MMO PURCHASE, NOT A DONATION.

3 minutes ago, axx said:

What are you  even talking about. PokeMMO is a non-profit organization dedicated to care for people with special needs. (such as OP.)

Where did you learn that?

6 minutes ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Though that was more of a incentive of generosity, NOT a purchase. You didn't buy that chocolate bar with the money you donated, you donated for the kids and you got a small incentive.

The same case does not apply here, as you HAVE to purchase reward points with real money.

Again, if Reward Points purchases classify as "donations", then by that logic, the purchase of Gems in Clash of Clans, PokeCoin in Pokemon Go, etc. also count as "donations"

Yes, I know what I'm getting the reward points I'm paying for when I pay for them.

That's not the point I'm trying to make

The false advertising part is calling them "donations" when they're reallly just in-MMO purchases.

I understand what u mean. U think too much, bro. lol

1 minute ago, Akshit said:

I didn't say purchasing reward points was the ONLY way to get them.

Other games such as these have similar methods to getting the special in-game currency, such as Clan Games/obstacle removal to get Gems in CoC, or taking over Gyms in Pokemon Go.

What I'm saying is that calling the purchase of reward points a "donation" and not an in-MMO purchase is, again, false advertising. Since you are paying real money to get the special in-game currency.

8 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

The same case does not apply here

Not really. If you don't donate, they won't give you the chocolate. Beliebe me, I've tried. As you said

8 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

you donated for the kids game and you got a small incentive. 

ftfy

While false advertising is the wrong term, the fact that "donator's status" only lasts 1 week, 2 weeks, or 1 month, could be considered false. Once you have spent money you would forever be a "donator" not for a limited time depending on the amount you "donated". 

Edited by blankf4ce

They shouldn't need a legal loophole. They are trying to profit off of nintendo's idea. If this were actually just a fan-made game, made for the enjoyment of other, then I'm sure people would be more than happy to donate. However, the devs trying to make this into an all out cash-op is ruining the game and the enjoyment of it for a lot of the players. 

11 minutes ago, blankf4ce said:

While false advertising is the wrong term, the fact that "donator's status" only lasts 1 week, 2 weeks, or 1 month, could be considered false. Once you have spent money you would forever be a "donator" not for a limited time depending on the amount you "donated". 

schrodinger's donation

They would probably do better with a Pay what you want model. Radiohead, and Moshpit Tragedy Records were able to make one of the most profitable albums of their time period (In rainbows) using this method. Considering the nature of this mmo, this would be perfect. 

As someone with A) development experience, B) a computer science degree and actual game/web site hosting experience and C) a basic understanding of economics...

*breath*

....AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

...Firstly, you possess no understanding of the term 'profit', you are confusing profit with revenue. Secondly if you think they are making a profit here YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND. When you take into account costs, not just tangible ones like hosting and development funding, as well as intangible costs (time for instance, which for experienced devs, like the ones who work on this, is money and it's money lost... they could be doing something else) - then it probably costs them at least as much as they make. The donations we (I have donated and will again) provide are just that - donations. They keep the game you enjoy playing and incentivize  the developers (who could be earning way more doing something else) to do work. They also incentivize people with money who may be on the fence to part with their money.

What is the point of this post, OP? Trolling?

23 minutes ago, KittoKatsu said:

As someone with A) development experience, B) a computer science degree and actual game/web site hosting experience and C) a basic understanding of economics...

*breath*

....AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

...Firstly, you possess no understanding of the term 'profit', you are confusing profit with revenue. Secondly if you think they are making a profit here YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND. When you take into account costs, not just tangible ones like hosting and development funding, as well as intangible costs (time for instance, which for experienced devs, like the ones who work on this, is money and it's money lost... they could be doing something else) - then it probably costs them at least as much as they make. The donations we (I have donated and will again) provide are just that - donations. They keep the game you enjoy playing and incentivize  the developers (who could be earning way more doing something else) to do work. They also incentivize people with money who may be on the fence to part with their money.

Oh, but I thought they were doing this out of the kindness of their hearts? At least that's what they make it seem like. Considering this is not their game, switching to a pay what you want model would be the best legal loophole they have. Profit is revenue-cost. If you think I'm wrong about radiohead, then do some research, thought you had experience, they made A LOT of PROFIT using this model. You are right about one thing, I do not know how much it would cost to keep a game like this running. Don't play yourself the devs are very open about the fact that this is a side hustle and not their actual jobs. Development funding for what? the game was already made, they just make a few minor adjustment, that's why we download roms. That leaves what? hosting? How much does hosting ACTUALLY cost, if you don't mind me asking someone with experience on the subject. I was personally going to donate a few hundred dollars when platinum went live, but this recent update has made me reconsider even playing this game again. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable donating if this is the direction the game is headed. Sorry they can't legally make this pay to play, that's probably for a good reason.

Edited by blankf4ce
14 minutes ago, KittoKatsu said:

My other post that you're referring to was not made to troll anyone except Gilan particularly, nothing personal against him he was just an easy target since it is common knowledge on the forum that wrong statistics trigger tf out of him. It was to make a statement, one that was obviously misinterpreted. 

1 minute ago, blankf4ce said:

switching to a pay what you want model would be the best legal loophole they have

Uh..no. The best legal loophole here is donations and the legal responsibility for acquiring the required roms being on the end user.