Option to Purchase Pokedollars with Real Money

BlackLegChef

Question

Been playing this game for a couple weeks and am in love with it. However I noticed that in-game currency isn't as abundant as the actual games. I also noticed how the GTL makes it super convenient to purchase items and other Mons whenever, but man majority of the listings cost a lot of dough. 

My suggestion is simply this. Would it be possible to have a donation option, much like purchasing "Reward Points", but instead, players can purchase in-game Pokedollars? I think it would honestly help players with the struggle I face with having enough money just to keep my stock of potions and balls as well as being able to purchase hard to get items or Mons. Plus it's another way of supporting the devs by having a new way of donating. 

Or maybe implement the option for Pokedollar vouchers using Reward Points? Just throwing it out there.

I just would really like in-game currency to be more accessible. 

11 answers to this question

20 hours ago, BlackLegChef said:

Yeah, but I'd rather pay one lump sum of money for a lump sum amount of Pokedollars.

This is the exact definition of Pay to Win. Those who can afford to crank hundreds of dollars into the server would effectively control everything. Not to mention it takes away a lot of the core gameplay and would result in hyper inflation within the economy. Not to mention it basically creates a de-facto means of gaining in in game money, much like any permanent buff would provide. I can't say directly but based in the answer you were given, the answer is 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% a solid no on this idea.

Just now, Raichu4u said:

I agree this is a bad suggestion, but isn't buying literally anything from the gift shop and selling it Pay to Win with a few extra steps?

No, because nothing in the gift shop places you at an advantage over those who can't donate. The buffs from donor status are small in the grand scheme of things and can be obtained through other means in game, albeit in shorter duration. The Amnesia Brace only stops exp from accruing during EV training, but there are now better methods to EV training and it takes up a slot that could be filled with EXP Share, which is objectively better if you aren't raising a LC team. Being able to literally buy your in game cash, PokeYen, is pay to win because you don't have to do anything else in game to gain that money. You just crank hundreds of dollars into the game and you are able to get pretty much anything you want. It legitimately places those who have the disposable income above those who grind in game. It also becomes a question of why grind to get X amount when I can donate to get that same amount instantly. It would become a de-facto means of cash production exclusive only to large scale donors.

2 minutes ago, XelaKebert said:

No, because nothing in the gift shop places you at an advantage over those who can't donate.

I just bought 14 RP tickets not too long ago and sold them which gave me a very big advantage of having about 4 million at my disposal now. I'd say that's pretty advantageous.

Just now, Raichu4u said:

I just bought 14 RP tickets not too long ago and sold them which gave me a very big advantage of having about 4 million at my disposal now. I'd say that's pretty advantageous.

That's a currency neutral transaction. Nothing entered the economy or left, the money just shifted around. Buying in game currency from the gift shop outright makes it so you can either grind for a couple hours to get X amount or pay X amount to get it instantly. In either case, money generated through grinding or purchased from the gift shop just pops into the economy from nowhere which devalues the rest of the in game money as a result. Grinding wouldn't be a requirement for those who have money, they'd just spam the gift shop with cash every so often to get what they need which means they are able to get comp teams assembled faster than someone grinding to build one. They would be able to farm berries at a larger rate because they wouldn't need to waste time grinding the money to get the supplies they need. It places you at a very distinct advantage. Nothing in the gift shop creates an advantage. Sure, you can sell RP tickets and anything else that is tradeable in the gift shop on the GTL, but that money comes from other players. You eventually sink that out through other means. Buying money outright from the gift shop takes the money flow valve and blows it wide open. Instead of money entering at a steady rate, it would start to enter at an exponential rate as more players with disposable incomes realize purchasing from the gift shop is faster. This means that the money sinks in game would not be enough to compete with the influx and a few things could happen to fix it. 1) raise prices for money sinks so more grinding is required (not optimal because donors would still crank more money into purchasing outright) 2) design more money sinks (a time consuming task that would pull away from other stuff that could be done) 3) wipe everyone's money at regular intervals (not optimal because you end up back at square one after a short while)

6 minutes ago, XelaKebert said:

That's a currency neutral transaction

I think you're viewing this too much from a macroeconomic perspective when the reality is that I just spent $14 to get the benefit of not having to grind for 4 + million yen. I understand for example if you bought 200 fly ocarinas, you would probably single-handedly lower the price due to supply and demand. but pretty much any hot demanded gift shop items all sell for the same rate of yen to RP. The tickets honestly made it even easier he got money because they can be redeemed for anything in the gift shop.