Hoenn Elite 4 issue

I've noticed something rather strange when battling the elite 4, the champion Wallace in particular. Let me set the example. I have my Gallade use psycho cut on his gyrados,  it takes about 80% hp damage. He then uses a full restore, and I hit him again, it barely does 20-30% damage. No critical hit text showed up, nothing like that, it's like he got some phantom defense boost. This has happened before, like with phoebe's dusknoir, I hit it hard with an attack, nearly ohko it, she heals it and then I do the same attack twice again and both attacks dont even do as much damage as the first one. Can anyone tell me wtf is going on here?

There must be more to it than that.

Every damaging move deals x0.85-x1 damage, so your moves don't always deal the same amount of damage.

But if it changes from 80% to 30%, there must be another factor. Make a sceeenshot of the battle log next time maybe. Probably some buffs/debuffs/abilities you din't pay attention to.

4 minutes ago, TherraDenora said:

Just the previous battles. My glaceon took out the flygon first, then got wrecked by the kingdra (hydro pump hit even though I had snow veil + hail running) then the archeops came out. 

That has nothing to do with your initial issue. And it's a completely likely scenario.

2 hours ago, SeekDWay said:

It was most likely a critical hit that didn't show a notification. Happens to me on a regular basis vs trainers. FYI E4 pokemon kind of cheat because they have boosted stats from what I see.

I can confirm this has caught me off guard in pvp matches before.  

Edited by MoxieMozzie
2 hours ago, TherraDenora said:

I got a quick clip of it happening with rake's kingdra.  

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/hQhQKNf

Check the ability on your Pokemon. Defeatist cuts your attack when your HP is below half.

3 hours ago, SeekDWay said:

FYI E4 pokemon kind of cheat because they have boosted stats from what I see.

Their stats are perfectly legal. They have some EVs in each stat, but they're neither specialized nor above the player limit.

1 hour ago, Rache said:

Their stats are perfectly legal. They have some EVs in each stat, but they're neither specialized nor above the player limit.

Can I get a clarification on this? Let's say Bruno's Machamp. Would I not expect to encounter a 31 attack Adamant 252 Attack EV Machamp there?

25 minutes ago, Raichu4u said:

Can I get a clarification on this? Let's say Bruno's Machamp. Would I not expect to encounter a 31 attack Adamant 252 Attack EV Machamp there?

The EVs on E4 members aren't specialized (and are below 400 total) and the IVs, while above average, aren't at the maximum. They're about on par with expected player parties on similar levels. Natures are mostly neutral, with only a couple of beneficial ones per member. The champion is a bit stronger than Elite Four members, but not by much.

You don't start to see proper EV spreads or max IVs until the most difficult endgame fights (lv100 E4 rematch builds + BP facilities). For the most part, everything else is designed around storyline teams.

4 hours ago, axx said:

That has nothing to do with your initial issue. And it's a completely likely scenario.

I know it has nothing to do with it, which is why I cut it from the video. And I also know that getting hit with the hydro wasn't some out of left field cheat, just upsetting.

Update, I managed to power through it and beat Wallace. So now I can start making money.