Sinrin's Two Cents on the Update

Hey guys. You either know me or you don't. Won't bother introducing myself, but it is relevant to note I posted a mildly popular Money Making Guide for the game last year.

The Guide effectively highlighted a "daily grind" flow that all highly addictive MMOs are known for. Just one year ago, players had the option, and more importantly the incentive to log in every day, harvest a berry patch, do a rebattle run, and possibly even spend some time trying to hit it big in the Safari Zone or the Artisan Cave. While it wasn't perfect, this was a healthy gameplay loop. Again, the incentive was the important part.

After these last two major updates, it's no longer enticing to engage in these activities vs. just buying a bronze donator ticket and selling it. Yes, there are rebattles, and yes, farming is still a thing, but the harshly diminished return on investment for these activities has rendered them unviable. 

People will know me as someone who liked to play the game in sort of an "ironman" style. I bred my competitive pokemon from scratch and explored all of the games' systems. The game no longer supports a player like me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

It's completely understandable to want to mitigate whales and keep high value things relatively out of reach, but the gameplay loop has hit a breaking point with a lot of players, I think. At this point actively playing the game just feels like I'm falling behind.

I mean, the devs made no secrets about their intentions with reworking Lucky Eggs. The thing is that you are looking at the economy from a currency neutral view. Money transferring between players doesn't inflate or deflate the economy.it just shifts it around. Now, this is't a bad thing to be honest. It's natural to wonder how much you will need to charge for something to get a decent return, but that's only 1/3 of the issue. The devs are able to see how much money enters the economy vs how much leaves via money sinks. Any change they make has to walk a razor thin line between letting too much money in and taking too much out. Not every update has been popular, and to single this particular one out for being overwhelmingly unpopular does other updates a disservice. There have been at least 2 past updates that were far more unpopular, when breeding was changed from CloneMMO to a refinement system and when everyone had their money and certain items reset. The latter of which was likely the most unpopular update as players literally had millions Thanos snapped out of their hands and those who tried to hedge against it had those efforts undercut when the very items they stockpiled to hedge the losses were cut down as well. The salt I see now of, "X player lost X million with this update," is an overstatement. Yes, some items suddenly lost value, but they did not get pruned down with this update. While there are still large value losses, players who had millions prior to the update still have millions. The only difference is that they don't have millions of yen worth of value stockpiled in items that suddenly lost value. Does it suck? Absolutely. Is it the absolute worst thing in the world? Probably not. Were the devs right to tweak Amulet Coin and Lucky Egg as they did? Time will tell.

The amulet coin change LITERALLY BUFFS GYM RUNS.

You can buy one on gtl for 20k, and get +50% of the gold you would. Which is probably like 100k-150k? I don't know, i don't play gym runs.

It's a temporary boost that rewards players who are actively playing the game, and making money off the npcs, rather than off other players.

You know what it doesn't reward?

People who afk farm and sell berries on GTL.

So while i understand where you're coming from and get how you feel -- I don't see your point, or how this update doesn't help alleviate your problem.

Eggplant, if you actually did Gym Rebattles, you'd know that they were borderline not worth the effort even when amulet coins were permanent. Now we have to pay for each iteration just for a chance at the good value? Youre way off. 

XelaKebert, just as I stated in my original post, this update was the breaking point in a series of changes that I've already acknowledged are understandable, but that razor thin line you're referring to has been crossed in the least desirable way. I'm not actually talking about any of the immediate impact at all. I'm talking about the incentive to engage in money making activities over time.

Edited by sinrin
6 minutes ago, sinrin said:

Eggplant, if you actually did Gym Rebattles, you'd know that they were borderline not worth the effort even when amulet coins were permanent. Now we have to pay for each iteration just for a chance at the good value? Youre way off. 

XelaKebert, just as I stated in my original post, this update was the breaking point in a series of changes that I've already acknowledged are understandable, but that razor thin line you're referring to has been crossed in the least desirable way. I'm not actually talking about any of the immediate impact at all. I'm talking about the incentive to engage in money making activities over time.

Not worth it?

Do you care to explain your math? Because I'm a bit interested in how the best money making activity, outside of berry farming, just somehow wasn't worth it.

Exactly

1 hour ago, sinrin said:

Hey guys. You either know me or you don't. Won't bother introducing myself, but it is relevant to note I posted a mildly popular Money Making Guide for the game last year.

The Guide effectively highlighted a "daily grind" flow that all highly addictive MMOs are known for. Just one year ago, players had the option, and more importantly the incentive to log in every day, harvest a berry patch, do a rebattle run, and possibly even spend some time trying to hit it big in the Safari Zone or the Artisan Cave. While it wasn't perfect, this was a healthy gameplay loop. Again, the incentive was the important part.

After these last two major updates, it's no longer enticing to engage in these activities vs. just buying a bronze donator ticket and selling it. Yes, there are rebattles, and yes, farming is still a thing, but the harshly diminished return on investment for these activities has rendered them unviable. 

People will know me as someone who liked to play the game in sort of an "ironman" style. I bred my competitive pokemon from scratch and explored all of the games' systems. The game no longer supports a player like me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

It's completely understandable to want to mitigate whales and keep high value things relatively out of reach, but the gameplay loop has hit a breaking point with a lot of players, I think. At this point actively playing the game just feels like I'm falling behind.

Exactly this. I no longer feel as though it is worth it to log on every day to do my usual runs. I no longer have any incentive to rebattle all of the trainers in every region. The amulet coin is an essential component of what makes these things worth doing. Now I have little to no desire to keep playing. If it were not for my team, I would likely have quit at this point. This update has left a very sour taste in my mouth and I feel that the devs are completely ignoring the interests and feelings of the playerbase.

4 hours ago, CatHeads said:

Not worth it?

Do you care to explain your math? Because I'm a bit interested in how the best money making activity, outside of berry farming, just somehow wasn't worth it.

You've just nailed it. The absolute BEST money making activity in the game is now what, just over 100k every 6 hours? It's also only accessible to the people who were able to take advantage of the earlier money making methods enough to be able to have enough spare lvl 100s to answer the teams each day. It's not viable for someone trying to explore end game. Just like you said as well, it's supposed to be the "best"? That's not nearly as enjoyable of an experience as what we had last year. 

5 hours ago, sinrin said:

Before Unova introduction, and before I achieve the true end game aka afking in vermillion forever, I used to do alt runs in hoenn, and do gym runs justbin hoenn, Id make quite a fair bit from those 10-15 chars that did it usually, and its pretty low effort, you can almlst afk them while working/watching a movie/studying wtv, so it is something. Adapt and overcome.

10 hours ago, sinrin said:

At this point actively playing the game just feels like I'm falling behind.

This is how I felt before this update... Berry farming was so broken if you didn't want to do it (which I never did) there was not a lot you could do to keep up.

But there's a lot more ways to make money other than what you are used to I guess, i don't do any of the things you've mentioned and have made enough $ to not need anymore (buying RP is definitely not the best way to make $) .

Also I'm pretty sure now amulet coin has been changed you get more money, you just have to spend a few mins hunting for a couple amulet coin before your gym run...