So... berry farming

25 minutes ago, razimove said:

Oh noes :( what will you do now, poor you. :(((

Listen, I'm a new player.

I work a lot irl.

I enjoy playing Pokemon.

I don't enjoy extreme grinding for stuff in any game.

So yes, I really really liked to afk berry farm while still farming gyms and trainers.

It just speeded the process of money making so I could get to the actually enjoyable part of the game.

Now I will adapt. But if to make money I now need to repete the same thing over and over, I'll be bored and I'll actually play the game less.

I hope I made my point clear 

1 minute ago, Thameris said:

I work a lot irl.

I enjoy playing Pokemon.

So yes, I really really liked to afk berry farm while still farming gyms and trainers.

It just speeded the process of money making so I could get to the actually enjoyable part of the game.

Now I will adapt. But if to make money I now need to repete the same thing over and over, I'll be bored and I'll actually play the game less.

The game is not about you. Its about a community as awhole, and if something is harmful to the said community, it should be removed. Inflaction is one of the things that destroys mmos and is really hard to deal with in some cases.

1 minute ago, razimove said:

Player:NPC interactions allows you to introduce new currency in the game, thid is the same as you printing notes/bills at home. Generates inflaction, inflaction is bad.

Inflation is 100% vital to any functioning economy, real or virtual.  The rate can be problematic, but that's a separate issue

3 minutes ago, razimove said:

Player:player interaction is pretty much a trade, no new currency is being generated, meaning it doesnt harm economy.

Completely false, especially through the GTL the 10% deflationary pressure, which will now dominate the economy, will only serve to diminish the economy and disincentivize trading.  Why bother buying now when your money will be worth more in the future?

Regardless there is absolutely zero reason they could not have given a few days notice.

2 minutes ago, Thameris said:

I work a lot irl.

I enjoy playing Pokemon.

If it helps, rematches are a promoted form of daily activity.

Run the e4!
Got more time?

Run the gyms?
Still got time?

Rematch normal trainers, OR, farm for eggs/coins!

Its a system thats designed to be similar to an MMO, just like the name of the game itself suggests it should be.
And for what its worth, leppa berries will still sell. They always will.

2 minutes ago, razimove said:

The game is not about you. Its about a community as awhole, and if something is harmful to the said community, it should be removed. Inflaction is one of the things that destroys mmos and is really hard to deal with in some cases.

On the contrary, the amulet coins being buffed from 25% to 50% just moves the source of inflation to a more active form, from berries to rematches.

1 minute ago, razimove said:

I understand and if you read my post, I was asking for opinions.

And yes I wish they announced the economy change so I could cash out my seeds and berries and save the money I spent time gathering. That's why I hoped to get compensated for the investment I made just a few hours ago.

It's just that. I'm not asking them to go back on the change or complaining further than that.

1 minute ago, CatHeads said:

On the contrary, the amulet coins being buffed from 25% to 50% just moves the source of inflation to a more active form, from berries to rematches.

Depends on the source for you to obtain them, plus rematches are limited and not as profitable, not to mention, like you said, promotes activity in the game.

Edited by razimove
2 minutes ago, CatHeads said:

If it helps, rematches are a promoted form of daily activity.

Run the e4!
Got more time?

Run the gyms?
Still got time?

Rematch normal trainers, OR, farm for eggs/coins!

Its a system thats designed to be similar to an MMO, just like the name of the game itself suggests it should be.
And for what its worth, leppa berries will still sell. They always will.

I do all of these and I'm having a blast with that aspect of the game. Thank you for your suggestion :)

Just now, razimove said:

Depends on the source for you to obtain them, plus rematches are limited and not as profitable

source comes from Meowth, as far as I know. Also, with these changes, rematches are now the most profitable activity in pokemmo, fitting for something on a timer. It's controlled inflation, one that pairs with the controlled deflation in GTL tax.

Its not really so much an issue of inflation as it is activity.

44 minutes ago, butterelemental said:

Inflation is 100% vital to any functioning economy, real or virtual.  The rate can be problematic, but that's a separate issue

When there's no line of credit in PokeMMO, and the fact that they have complete control over the money sinks and money creation in this game, if they were perfect, inflation should sit at 0% forever. They are not, but that rate realistically should be way lower than a real world ratio (1%-2% is considered healthy in the real world).

2 minutes ago, Raichu4u said:

When there's no line of credit in PokeMMO, and the fact that they have complete control over the money sinks and money creation in this game, if they were perfect, inflation should sit at 0% forever. They are not, but that rate realistically should be way lower than a real world ratio (1%-2% is considered healthy in the real world).

In my country it's +30% per year... Hahaha I wish we had a 1 digit inflation

Since @razimove tagged me, I feel obligated to reply.

Hopefully I hit all the points you were talking about @butterelemental.

So, I'm going to try to explain why the berry farming nerf is a good thing.

Probably the best thing about it, that I don't think I've seen mention of yet, is that botting nets are hit hard by this. Berry farming was a mindless task that is extremely easy to automate; no advanced coding is required to do it. It's literally just a series of directional input and pressing A and the loop is infinite. By nerfing the sell price to marts, they are now required to interact with the GTL to continue the loop, this is quite a bit more difficult (though not impossible). But, be that as it may, berry farming as a whole should now die in popularity as the demand is far far less than what the supply was. So, berry farming bots should cease to exist, by my expectations. And, as far as I'm aware, there is no real alternative that is as mindless (easy to automate) and as lucrative as was berry farming. So yay. (and if you don't understand why fewer bots is a really good thing, that's a whole 'nother topic. But, essentially less RMT / it's more fair for everyone).

Next, I saw mention that inflation is a necessity. I agree. However, this is a bit of a complicated topic here, since from what I observed common goods weren't really inflating. Pokemon to be used for breeding, certain consumables, donator status, etc. weren't really being affected. The main explanation that I can think of, is that the people who were gathering so much money just didn't care about the common items on the gtl, etc.. What I have noticed have inflated drastically are Limited Vanities. Ffs, the desu labcoat is over 2bil now, and all other vanities are through the roof on rate of return, it's nuts. So, i'd argue we were seeing hyper-inflation; it's just the people who were aggressively after money only cared about limited vanities. And, I think there is now a threat that some "Whales", who literally have billions of yen on their accounts, have the potential to just unload upon the game and cause some serious inflation; that is really dangerous, and those people hold a lot of economic power. But, that's my own personal observation.

Next, in regards to the topic of Devs giving a heads up. It's their policy to not give heads up on economic changes. Could they have done so in this case? potentially. But, not everyone in game would have gotten the memo, and you'd still have people complaining that a "proper" warning wasn't given. It's a lose-lose situation no matter what. And, in those cases, it is the best case to just stick with established policy. If your argument is to say that the case where the devs give a heads-up is better, it's those players who didn't pay attention that only have themselves to blame... then you are a hypocrite. Because, there was a nice long thread discussing berry farming and why it should be nerfed. It was, as a result, very reasonable to assume that they were going to be affected soon, and you took the risk of farming anyways. You just needed to pay attention.

Next, I saw something about Player-to-Player trading and Player-to-NPC trading. When trading with an NPC, that is a pure Yen-generation to the economy, this leads to inflation, and when done in the amount that was berry farming, it leads to Hyper Inflation. Player-to-Player trading is Value-Neutral. No Yen is generated or detracted (unless gtl). If this is the only scenario, then eventually stagnation will arise, and there will be no movement in prices at all; which is lame. But, luckily, the game has built-in inflation with storyline. Every noob who runs through the game, buys a couple pokemon/items off of the gtl, adds money into the economy; and there are far more noobs who run through storyline and quit, than those who stay. To conteract this, we have the money sinks of breeding and gtl fees. Whether or not this balances out, I cannot say, as only Devs and maybe a few select individuals are privy to the information. But, what I can say with certainty, is that berry farming inflation faaar outweighed the deflation factors.

Hope I explained things well enough, and maybe some people understand why the berry change is better than they think.

tl;dr berry farming nerf reduces bot numbers and slows down the number of "whales" in the economy who have a threat of spiking inflation through the roof. Devs giving a heads up still results in a lose-situation for them, so stick with established policy (also, if you paid attention, you would have known this was coming). Standard stuff on value-generation when comparing trading with an NPC, trading with a Player, and using the GTL.