Battle Animations And Admin Inconsistency

MonsterOfMen

Question

For backstory, I initially had a question regarding battle Animations, which I asked yesterday, where I was thankful for the initial quick reply, but that very easily deviated with today's reply. Anyways, this is my suggestion and some logical fallacy I've already seen on my short time here, not a hate post, but an attempt at some constructive feedback 

1: Why did I ask about animation? 

- Since the fire red version of pokemon i grew up with had that feature, and i just wanted quicker battles 

2: Well what's the issue, why make this? 

- Since others decided to turn that old thread into a  "why it's fair to not to have battle animation", which let me remind you was never the purpose of the thread. Shoving their own justifications down then locking it, lead to this 

3: What's the argument then? 

- None, I just thought the PvE, at least kanto or other regions should retain disabling battle animation, if the purpose of this game mod was to preserve the original games. Lastly, one of the admins argued "Having players stop animations to hunt faster and progress through the storyline or farm for money, pokes, etc quicker is not what we want to have occur. This is a massively online world where everyone playing is contributing to the world in some way including the economy of the server." and basically implied that it" skewed the game's economy"

which it wouldn't and locked the thread with "your opinion is duly noted and we keep our stance" and some "fair play" jargon. 

Anyways, my points remain, if the purpose of this mod was to be faithful to the original games, disabling battle Animations is only fair, and it does not, in any meaningful way lead to farming abuse/insane progression boost as they're falsely suggesting. If you will suggest that, I'll want some stat's or any objective info to back that up next time please. Maybe server usage and playtime charts, or anything to prove that, not a blank statement. I remember playing fire red in a game boy sp, and took me 60+ hours to get 20 pokemons to 60-70 with disabled animation. Levelling is more complex, and level differences play a major factor into it 

4: Why tag the admin part? 

- An admin suggested, pokemmo does everything to keep a level playing field. Which is false. You can pay for 25% extra exp, which is very much the definition of profiting people that pay, by offering incentives to speed up game progress. This obviously puts non paying players at a disadvantage, as they will take 25% longer to level up pokemons. Once again, if you really want fair and equality, all the shop should be monetising is visual items, that have visual effects only and does not alter player progression within the game. Others can also choose to pledge to support packs where the money goes into server costs, rather than offering increased Exp. This invalides the fair play spiel which I see thrown around 

5. So can you sum it up? 

- Gladly, my original point was, "can i disable battle Animations on non pvp games?" the answer was no. However others got on board and added some fair play spiel, which was unnecessary to begin with. Anyways, that's my opinion on that. Having battle animations enabled would mean:

-more faithful to base game 

- doesn't negatively skew progression 

- doesn't make it more unfair, or easier to farm 

- fair play is bs, since others can pay for a quarter of their game being boosted 

-and mods/admins shouldn't band Wagon to support others that agree with their sentiment. In my old thread  someone else came in and deviated from my original question. It was never a thread about my opinions 

Other than that, I'm more that happy to hear why im wrong, how I'm wrong. But once again, this is my opinion, and I'll be open to constructive arguments. 

7 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, MonsterOfMen said:

I'll want some stat's or any objective info to back that up next time please.

Fighting against hordes are the main way to EV train, experience farm, Item farm, and shiny hunt here. 

If you could disable animations & skip 5 Pokémon attacking it would take significantly less time to train & would result in these popular items being more common, thus harming the economy & making grinding much, much easier. 

9 minutes ago, MonsterOfMen said:

This obviously puts non paying players at a disadvantage

The boost you get from Donator Status is nearly unnoticeable, and every item in the Gift Shop is tradable (besides Amnesia Brace) which allows you to buy these items from other players using in-game currency. 

Edited by ImFunk
47 minutes ago, ImFunk said:

Fighting against hordes are the main way to EV train, experience farm, Item farm, and shiny hunt here. 

If you could disable animations & skip 5 Pokémon attacking it would take significantly less time to train & would result in these popular items being more common, thus harming the economy & making grinding much, much easier. 

The boost you get from Donator Status is nearly unnoticeable, and every item in the Gift Shop is tradable (besides Amnesia Brace) which allows you to buy these items from other players using in-game currency. 

Once again, you missed the point. There are no horde battles in kanto or hoen from what I know, unless I'm wrong there, I clearly stated that older gens that had that feature, should still retain it

And you argue speeding each battle by 2s will skew the economy of the game? And each and every possible battle with be horde battles? I'd say that's improbable at the least, and my earlier statement still stands on that

-

Regading contributor getting 25% extra exp, which equates to a quarter of less grind needed, that's somehow insignificant? How exactly? If it really matters so little  why don't we all get maybe once a month, boosted 25% exp? 

I'll answer that, since that 25% exp is an incentive for contributing, which in turns boosts progress. Once again, trading does no co-relate to that in anyway. 

Lastly we can all theorymon, but without stat's or objective numbers, don't say "doing xy = breaks the game", since the mechanic im talking about used to already exists. 

It seems you need to play the game a bit more before making threads like these.

There are horde battles in each of the 3 regions.

1 turn in a horde battle takes much longer than 2 seconds. 

You are able to summon hordes, so yes each battle will be one while farming. 

3 minutes ago, MonsterOfMen said:

since the mechanic im talking about used to already exists. 

It existed in a single player story game, not an MMO that relies heavily on the economy of the game. 

I understand it takes time to learn all of the differences between our game and the official ones, so please take your time and experience the game before creating suggestions and challenging admins. It will not go well for you. 

You are misunderstanding the "fair play" aspect quite a bit. Adding an option to speed up the gameplay becomes a requirement instead of an option. Effectively you no longer have a "Make the game faster" and "regular speed", you have "regular speed" and "extra slow". This is different from item/effects which increase the speed in other ways, since animations are part of the the baseline rate.

For an existing example, take a look at text speed. It currently defaults to the maximum setting. The option used to default to half, but users who didn't notice the option were at a disadvantage compared to who did. This was bad design so the default was updated to address this issue.

I'm sorry if you dislike our decision, but we are not interested in adding this option at this time.

You had the head game master already explain this to you, but I hope this thread helps you understand why battle animations are probably never going to be optional. or at least, if they were, that you'd have to wait the same amount of time as the animation anyway since this is an MMO and everyone needs to be on an even playing field for both PvE and PvP, as well as have their times synchronized.

I know turning battle animations off is for many players something they're used to (including me). But you must put it down, you're making drama for nothing. Yes, it can help you with shiny hunting or for something else but you must think about the decision why they've made it. They want to experience the game in patience, play the game a lot and relax. Fast going through the story or through the games will bother that. You can choose which text speed you want so at least you can change something but for the rest relax playing the game and take your time doing it.