Jump to content
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
BoltBlades12

Shiny Day

Question

In Pokemon Go, once a month, they have these events called Community Days. How it works is that it increases the spawn rate of a certain Pokemon for 3 hours, as well as an increase in shiny rate.

 

There should be a similar kind of monthly event on MMO that could boost the shiny rate of a certain species. This would definitely motivate more people to hunt shinies.

 

There could even be certain limitations to the day, such as, “Only single encounters will have the boosted rate”.

 

And before anyone starts the whole “It’ll ruin the economy” argument, I bring 3 counter-points:

1. Hate to be that guy, but most likely nobody is gonna buy the shiny you put on GTL, because if It’s not OT, you have to release.

2. Even if the above point is wrong, they could make the shinies caught during these events “Gift” status, so they couldn’t be traded nor breeded.

3. We could at least have one by having the common worthless shinies(like Pidgey, Rattata, Bidoof, etc) be the featured Pokémon(or base it off the lowest prices shinies on grl) and do more based off of how well it turns out. Then maybe keep it going based off of performance.

 

Again, this would encourage a lot more people to shiny hunt. Since a lot of people are deterred from doing so due to the fact it’s 1/30k(Whether or nor you classify that as “fair”), and would give them a better shot to at least score ONE.

Share this post


Link to post

16 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
2 minutes ago, BoltBlades12 said:

this would encourage a lot more people to shiny hunt.

What benefit does that bring to the game? I could list multiple negatives to this yet I don't see a single positive. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 minutes ago, ImFunk said:

What benefit does that bring to the game? I could list multiple negatives to this yet I don't see a single positive. 

Since the shiny rate is 1/30k here as opposed to the 1/4~8k in the main games, that’s a significant difference. And by that, a lot of people are discouraged to shiny hunt due to such low odds.

A Shiny Day where the odds of a certain Pokemon are temporarily increased would result in more people wanting to shiny hunt for better odds of getting one.

And again, they can easily make the shinies caught during this time “Gift” Pokémon so nobody can abuse GTL

5 minutes ago, Dazuzi said:

No

Yes :3

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, BoltBlades12 said:

A Shiny Day where the odds of a certain Pokemon are temporarily increased would result in more people wanting to shiny hunt for better odds of getting one.

My point still stands, there is no benefit to more people shiny hunting. And for your point of making them untradable; although it makes it so the shinies caught that day can't be sold, it still has an effect on the shinies for that species that were caught previous to that day. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, ImFunk said:

My point still stands, there is no benefit to more people shiny hunting. And for your point of making them untradable; although it makes it so the shinies caught that day can't be sold, it still has an effect on the shinies for that species that were caught previous to that day. 

For a few days after, maybe. After a week or 2, things go back to normal.

Same case with premier balls or event bags

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Same case with premier balls or event bags

You're comparing two limited items with something that is not limited & will continue to be brought into the game. The only thing this suggestion accomplishes is speeding up the rate at which they're brought into the game. 

Edited by ImFunk

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 minutes ago, ImFunk said:

You're comparing two limited items with something that is not limited & will continue to be brought into the game. The only thing this suggestion accomplishes is speeding up the rate at which they're brought into the game. 

Nothing wrong with that 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

It will damage the shiny-economy.

It will also reduce the amount of people shiny hunting during non-event periods, reducing overall gameplay time.

 

Those downsides are impactful enough to decline your suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
7 hours ago, Tyrone said:

It will damage the shiny-economy.

If they’re made untradeable, no they won’t. 

 

Besides, even then, it’ll be just like premier balls were. The specific shiny-mon may have less value for the next 5 days, but in 2 weeks or so, the pricing would return back to normal, as if nothing happened.

And considering that shinies here are more of a vanity than anything else, it wouldn’t hurt to have 1 or 2 Pokemon shiny price be altered, especially if it’s a useless Pokemon like Rattata or Bidoof.

 

7 hours ago, Tyrone said:

It will also reduce the amount of people shiny hunting during non-event periods

That’s entirely debatable. You don’t know that for sure. It could just as easily increase people’s motivation to shiny hunt. Besides, the number of shiny hunters currently is pretty small anyways and it wouldn’t hurt to increase numbers. Even if it was for certain times.

 

And again, the only way to really see if this is a bad idea or not would be to try it at least ONCE. Then make the decision to continue or discontinue based off of response and feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, BoltBlades12 said:

That’s entirely debatable. You don’t know that for sure.

Not for PokeMMO but other games have done similar things such as XP Weekends, which causes people to only play during the weekend because the normal rate becomes too little. 

 

3 minutes ago, BoltBlades12 said:

it’ll be just like premier balls were. The specific shiny-mon may have less value for the next 5 days, but in 2 weeks or so, the pricing would return back to normal, as if nothing happened.

You do realize Premier Balls were 500k until they were made more common, right? They're currently 10k. Stop using that as a comparison, it doesn't help you. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
12 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

In Pokemon Go, once a month, they have these events called Community Days. How it works is that it increases the spawn rate of a certain Pokemon for 3 hours, as well as an increase in shiny rate.

 

There should be a similar kind of monthly event on MMO that could boost the shiny rate of a certain species. This would definitely motivate more people to hunt shinies.

Pokemon Go is actually an amazing example of why it wouldn't work for the type of MMO that PokeMMO is.

Due to irl issues I've missed Treecko Community Day. The next day I've asked random dude if he has any shiny treecko for a trade, he nodded, we exchanged our friend codes to make it cheaper days later, and we agreed to trade treecko for some random dratini. He had like 20 treecko, so they became almost worthless to him, but he needed another normal random "iv" dratini.

 

I gave away like 13 shiny swinubs to people, because >swinub and I had like 26 anyway. Who needs 26 shiny swinubs, honestly.

 

Now, imagine the same situation in PokeMMO.

Next Saturday we announce that there will be shiny Tauros weekend. Well, you just have spent 100+m on shiny tauros today, and you are literally screwed since your shiny will become basically worthless, or at least VERY reduced in value. This can potentially kill basically the whole point of trading shinies- I wouldn't trade for any shiny, if I would know they can come in "PokeMMO Community Day" one day.

 

This also applies to the "motivation" aspect you mentioned- sure it will increase shiny hunt on those days, but will also damage hunt on other days. I wouldn't go hunt for shiny treecko today, because what's the point, it has no increased rate, and I can get one easily from players, even if it will take few days to trade.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

Next Saturday we announce that there will be shiny Tauros weekend.

Can't wait, thank you for announcing. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

If they’re made untradeable, no they won’t [hurt the economy]. 

This isn't accurate, to some people a Shiny Pokemon is purely something to look nice. some people don't care about OT / comp shinies etc.

To those people, once they obtain a shiny from this easier method they will never search for that shiny. They won't use leppas to find it, they won't spend time playing to find it, and they won't trade on the GTL to work their way up to a rare shiny or trade with others for it because they already have it.

This is like saying if you gave someone an infinite use rare candy but made it untradeable that it wouldn't hurt the prices of Rare Candies on the GTL.
It's an over-exaggeration but it shows in a more apparent way why this would be hurtful to the game.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
18 hours ago, ImFunk said:

You're comparing two limited items with something that is not limited & will continue to be brought into the game. The only thing this suggestion accomplishes is speeding up the rate at which they're brought into the game. 

 

18 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Nothing wrong with that 

There is a lot wrong with that. You are comparing a resource that you propose be made non-consumable to a resource that is consumable. They are apples and oranges. If every shiny caught on these days were to be made untradeable they would still have a net draining effect on the overall species value simply because more players have them. Not everyone wants 20 shinies of the same species. Premier Balls and such are items that leave the economy once used so they have a draining effect up front, but as they are sunk out the prices begin to go back up in conjunction with supply and demand.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I understand that you want the shiny encounter rate to be higher but you need to think seriously why the developers make the encounter so low.  It's must be a challenge and the patience to find one. And your suggestions can be cool but you aren't a developer of this game so live with it. Just take the challenge, be patient and search one (or more). 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
12 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

And again, the only way to really see if this is a bad idea or not would be to try it at least ONCE

No, we already know its a bad idea

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

no way, I think this is a silly idea and would not like to see it added into the game

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.