Why havent they released Gen 2 yet?

Generation 5 was done before Generation 4 (Sinnoh / HGSS) because it is easier to work backwards from the technologically more advanced (graphically) maps of Unova to Sinnoh / Johto than it is to rework how the game engine works to run the maps for 3D Sinnoh/Johto but then have to drastically rework them (again) for Unova. (if I am understanding correctly).

Johto is being added last of the regions as it offers little to no new content, pokemon from Johto were made available through Seveii islands + Hoenn post game areas to make up for the fact that Generation 2 could not be ported to Generation 3 games (thus the pokemon needed to be available somewhere.).

For both of these reasons the regions seems to be being done in the order of Kanto --> Hoenn --> Unova --> Sinnoh --> Johto.

• Matoka locked and unlocked this topic
On 7/4/2019 at 7:38 AM, Matoka said:

Generation 5 was done before Generation 4 (Sinnoh / HGSS) because it is easier to work backwards from the technologically more advanced (graphically) maps of Unova to Sinnoh / Johto than it is to rework how the game engine works to run the maps for 3D Sinnoh/Johto but then have to drastically rework them (again) for Unova. (if I am understanding correctly).

Johto is being added last of the regions as it offers little to no new content, pokemon from Johto were made available through Seveii islands + Hoenn post game areas to make up for the fact that Generation 2 could not be ported to Generation 3 games (thus the pokemon needed to be available somewhere.).

For both of these reasons the regions seems to be being done in the order of Kanto --> Hoenn --> Unova --> Sinnoh --> Johto.

Whoa I was always curious on why johto was skipped! Thanks for the explanation