Unova final gym problems

The last gym in Unova is too difficult and is nonstrategic. Inb4 someone say just use ice Pokemon dragons are weak to ice pokemon. Yeah I tried that and failed miserably because Haxorus has rockslide which kills ice pokemon in two hits making him impossible to kill. The only way to beat the final gym is find an axew and use it to have higher speed than the other pokemon and hope that the leader's pokemon don't one shot you. Which is what im going to have to do. This is a really bad game design because strategies that should work don't. When I lose it should be because I made some kind of mistake. It shouldn't be that I grind for several hours to max out the levels of my pokemon on a strategy that works everywhere else and then have the strategy fail miserably.

Kingdra, Starmie and other pokemon that aren't dragon or ice type will make Iris really easy. Seadra learns both Ice Beam and Dragon Pulse from leveling up, as does lapras. Starmie has a super wide movepool and the TM for Ice Beam is just 30k, that's less than 20 NPC rematches, 15 if you're lucky.

17 hours ago, Kluehouse said:

The last gym in Unova is too difficult and is nonstrategic. Inb4 someone say just use ice Pokemon dragons are weak to ice pokemon. Yeah I tried that and failed miserably because Haxorus has rockslide which kills ice pokemon in two hits making him impossible to kill. The only way to beat the final gym is find an axew and use it to have higher speed than the other pokemon and hope that the leader's pokemon don't one shot you. Which is what im going to have to do. This is a really bad game design because strategies that should work don't. When I lose it should be because I made some kind of mistake. It shouldn't be that I grind for several hours to max out the levels of my pokemon on a strategy that works everywhere else and then have the strategy fail miserably.

Nah, you should examine your team's weak points. You use Ice types which are weak to Rock type moves. Someone mentioned trying Water types packing an Ice type move. Starmie with Ice Beam should help. I'd suggest something that takes neutral damage with an Ice or Dragon type move as well. The point of the gyms being harder now is so you can't always rely on the same strategy of smashing the same two moves for every gym. I know Razimove mentioned that I beat all 8 with only a team of Spinda. Which, while true, required much more strategy than anything else. Moves had to be changed, held items swapped around, leads rotated between attempts all in an effort to find the most effective setup to be able to win. I'm certain you can do it without resorting to endless grinding. Take a moment to think about what you have and how you can use it. Pokemon, yen, and items are all effectively resources. Battling is all about resources and how you use them. You may even be able to use your same team to be Iris. The AI tends to get locked into certain patterns; pick up on those patterns and learn to predict what they are. An example being predicting a move that could KO you, swapping to something that won't and would cause Iris to swap, then predicting the swap and sending out something faster that can deal the damage you need. I believe you can do it, but that doesn't mean anything if you don't believe you can do it. So my question to you is, do you believe in your ability to pick up and out maneuver Iris?

1 minute ago, WayTooTired said:

I had a max Attack and Speed IV and EV trained Haxorus and it cut that gym like a hot knife through butter.

Level cap is reduced to 45 now, you cannot use Haxorus against the 8th gym anymore.