Collectible Pokemon Cards In-Game

ChrisChris

Question

Random suggestion. I'll keep it brief:

Just for fun, how about the idea of being able to collect Pokemon TCG Cards? Got a spare 100,000$? Buy a pack of 5 or 6 cards based off the Base Set of PokeTCG Cards and throw them into a new tab in your Backpack to trade around for fun with other players.

Now I'm not suggesting coding in the entire TCG game itself, just the cards. It'd be a fun and neat idea no other Pokemon games have done for additional playability after you beat the game and have time to spare.

I realize 100,000$ for a pack isn't balanced too, it was just an example. A Pack of cards could probably cost quite a bit since money farming is so easy nowadays.

Additional Idea: Whenever we're able to see other Trainer Cards, maybe throw in the option to put one of the cards you own on your Trainer Card to show off. Throw in the random option of "Holographic" cards to really annoy other people who don't have one.

So that's about it. Feedback? Criticism?

I don't think these should be found on wild pokemon (makes no sense). Should simply be packs that you can buy (money sinks) and you open the packs similiar to opening a mystery box.

I still think the cards should be collectable through buying/PvP and redeemable for special vanity items.

I've given some thought to this, but can't really figure out a good way to make them interesting.

Issues are:

1. We are not going to port TCG into PokeMMO. This is not possible due to potential legal issues.
  2. If we want to create our own trading-card-game, it would need to be made from scratch, and anything reasonably complicated is a project that is on scale with PokeMMO itself in terms of game design. We would obviously be re-using sprite assets from compatible rom files, but strings/mechanics/GUIs/other art assets would have to be created by us.
  3. If they don't have any further function, then you are basically collecting pictures. The Dex already serves this purpose in a more polished matter (using Seen/Owned).

I've given some thought to this, but can't really figure out a good way to make them interesting.

Issues are:

1. We are not going to port TCG into PokeMMO. This is not possible due to potential legal issues.
  2. If we want to create our own trading-card-game, it would need to be made from scratch, and anything reasonably complicated is a project that is on scale with PokeMMO itself in terms of game design. We would obviously be re-using sprite assets from compatible rom files, but strings/mechanics/GUIs/other art assets would have to be created by us.
  3. If they don't have any further function, then you are basically collecting pictures. The Dex already serves this purpose in a more polished matter (using Seen/Owned).

just another thing to do @endgame

keep your playerbase going for another month after they finish :P

let them get a couple random ones from beating gym leaders or something to get them started

then after E4 they are on their own collecting

Issues are:

It's sort of an aesthetic thing, kinda like hats. Just instead you probably link them in chat by giving them to a pokemon and showing off to your friends. 

Issues are:

It may just be me, but the task of filling out the pokedex has never appealed to me. Collecting cards, however, does.

It may just be me, but the task of filling out the pokedex has never appealed to me. Collecting cards, however, does.

It is literally the same action with the same "collectibles" with a different presentation with less functionality, in the example listed above.

Like I said before, if they don't do anything for you in game than it's a pointless addition. Some people would be interested in collecting your dex entries in cards but I don't think that'd be fun. Think about games, they're about having fun. How is collecting virtual cards fun? I think it'd be more interesting with a personalized TCG or simply make the cards have special buffs for the pokemon they are of.

Like I said before, if they don't do anything for you in game than it's a pointless addition. Some people would be interested in collecting your dex entries in cards but I don't think that'd be fun. Think about games, they're about having fun. How is collecting virtual cards fun? I think it'd be more interesting with a personalized TCG or simply make the cards have special buffs for the pokemon they are of.

Yea, being able to customize your clothes, nickname your pokemon and having a unique, more fun experience is all stupid

Yea, being able to customize your clothes, nickname your pokemon and having a unique, more fun experience is all stupid

Everyone can see clothes that you put on. Collecting cards only you can see. People can see your nicknamed pokemon. unlike your cards. and collecting cards isn't going to make this game more fun. It can make people interested in something different but that's all it'd be for and isn't needed. I'm honestly against this suggestion.

And if you're super focused on this idea you might as well make it a vanity item so people can just buy their favorite cards or just get them all in one go.