Collectible Pokemon Cards In-Game

ChrisChris

Question

Random suggestion. I'll keep it brief:

Just for fun, how about the idea of being able to collect Pokemon TCG Cards? Got a spare 100,000$? Buy a pack of 5 or 6 cards based off the Base Set of PokeTCG Cards and throw them into a new tab in your Backpack to trade around for fun with other players.

Now I'm not suggesting coding in the entire TCG game itself, just the cards. It'd be a fun and neat idea no other Pokemon games have done for additional playability after you beat the game and have time to spare.

I realize 100,000$ for a pack isn't balanced too, it was just an example. A Pack of cards could probably cost quite a bit since money farming is so easy nowadays.

Additional Idea: Whenever we're able to see other Trainer Cards, maybe throw in the option to put one of the cards you own on your Trainer Card to show off. Throw in the random option of "Holographic" cards to really annoy other people who don't have one.

So that's about it. Feedback? Criticism?

This is kind of cool I guess. But I can't see this being implemented within the next 2 years, at minimum. There are a lot more important things to be implemented. No hate, this idea is interesting, just sayin

2 years? Dude... as much as you think the development of this game is slow and whatnot, the entirety of Kanto will be done within 3 months (it's already pretty much finished minus Cerulean Cave). As far moves/abilities/items go, those will be finished by the Summer. At that point, the game is basically done aside from new Regions. People will need endgame content to keep them happy.

Plus, Darkshade practically did the entirety of the new Hats update by himself (even though the Devs had to do the code and whatnot). It's not that hard to imagine 2 or 3 people couldn't properly organize themselves and put this idea together and then hand the material to the Devs to assemble in the game.

I could see this being implemented at it's most basic function, finding/buying cards and trading them by the end of next year or even before that. Taking into account if the Devs give the idea the greenlight to even go forward with.

I just don't understand the point of putting in a Pokemon trading card game into a universe where Pokemon exist....its like if we made trading card series of everyday objects and creatures found in our world like housecats and baseball bats....there's no logic to it.

Bump!

So, I was thinking about ways to increase value given to the pokedollar.

People say "we need moneysinks". Yeah sure.

"Add the comp items to the shop!"

Not really. You buy those once and then you got them and done. If we're gonna buy items, they need to be renewable like berries. Or just somehting you'll buy a lot of.

The reason why nobody likes money, is because you can't do anything with it.

Let's say we want money to be used to buy and sell competitive pokemon.

Everyone's going to want to buy pokemon for money. I mean come on, you can just payday grind and buy a comp.

But who's gonna wanna sell them for money? I mean, wht for. To buy a lucky egg? To buy another comp?

My target is these people: The ones who don't play comp. As in, the collectors. The completionists. The ones who are trying to 100% the game.

So we need more content that costs ingame money, that has nothing to do with the competitive scene.

Those people will stumble upon good stuff, sell it for money, and buy some cards.

These cards in my opinion should just be collectibles. Basically a second pokedex. And that's awesome.

I support this~ It sounds like a fun idea for the future. While probably not something for this stage of development, this could be beneficial in the future, as it adds another thing to do once the main story is over. Competing isn't really for everyone after all~

The only problem with the suggestion though... Is that there has to be a reason to bother collecting them aside from being a completionist. Perhaps having an NPC like the Pokedex checkers that give you the itemfinder, exp share etc.Basically, some NPC that gives you rewards based on how many different cards you currently own.

Another way to do this would be to add a collector NPC in-game that will buy cards based on their rarity or value, perhaps giving some kind of special currency similar to game corner coins that can then be traded for rare items. Digimon World for the Ps1 had a similar system - the player would collect cards then give them to ShogunGekomon in exchange for points that could buy that game's equivalent of vitamins and evolution stones among other things. The crappy, common cards would be worth 1 point and the super rare ones worth 100 (1, 5, 10, 15, 30, 50, 100 are the values if I remember correctly). The cards weren't at all necessary to finish the game, but there were rewards that came with bothering with them aside from getting to look at the pretty pictures. Rewards in PokeMMO could perhaps include farmable items like metal coats, some vanity items, type boosting items (I'm looking at you, black belt), and maybe some items that can only be gotten from this NPC.

Of course, players wouldn't have to give them away - they could just look at the pretty pictures and treat them as a collection. If there are any copyright issues with adding the cards from the TCG or some Sugimori artwork to the game, we could perhaps have them drawn by artists from the community or something. I'd be happy to draw some of them if that's the case.

I guess you're right.

I figured, we need extra content, another money sink, that helps both the competitive players and the completionists.

But I wasn't sure if that exists.

But yeah, if the cards give some kind of reward, then they'll make everyone want them.

I think we need a more unique reward though than vitamins and stuff. Stuff that isn't available already.

Maybe that NPC can teach moves, like the event moves or colosseum/XD moves, unless the devs have better plans for those.

Or of course, yeah, vanity items are good.

This would actually be interesting.

You could make it into like a Yu-Gi-Oh sort of thing where in pvp duels the winner gets to take any card from the opponent (would be an incentive to battle pvp besides just the hell of it). One could store their cards somewhere so that if they want to battle for fun they could have a no-risk battle or something. With this you would probably have to make a card tier system. i.e. caterpie is the lowest tier, and shiny rayquaza would be the highest tier (or whatever) and you could only take a card that is of the same or lower tier as the greatest card currently on you at the time of the duel. I think this would be fun :D

That and/or possibly make it to where you have a full set (all the pokemon in the pokedex) you can redeem them for like a star on your Trainer Card, or some other trait (like a vanity item perhaps).

I support this idea, for simplicity why not juse use the sprites that already exist in the game? and make it like a 2nd pokedex? but for cards?

I made something real quick:
[spoiler]

1l3Qx.png
[/spoiler]

I liked the general layout of your card design.

I made a few modifications to your card to resemble a more simplistic non-battle card, as well as changing some designs to reflect the GUI update last April.

[spoiler]lYum1de.png

h5wHshX.png[/spoiler]

Could have the cards boost a stat that the pokemon in question would be its highest stat. like say you gave umbreon's card to an umbreon. The specail defense stat would get like a 5% boost. But if you gave umbreon's card to an eevee nothing would happen. I also think that pre-evolution cards should be stronger than full-evolved cards. Simply to change up OU. Maybe see an eevee tank something like an umbreon. Say eevee's card doubling its defenses. Although pokemon that don't evolve their cards would act as if they were fully evolved.

Could even just give the pokemon a different ability.

Could have the cards boost a stat that the pokemon in question would be its highest stat. like say you gave umbreon's card to an umbreon. The specail defense stat would get like a 5% boost. But if you gave umbreon's card to an eevee nothing would happen. I also think that pre-evolution cards should be stronger than full-evolved cards. Simply to change up OU. Maybe see an eevee tank something like an umbreon. Say eevee's card doubling its defenses. Although pokemon that don't evolve their cards would act as if they were fully evolved.

Could even just give the pokemon a different ability.

Nah, that's too much scripting. Trade able collectible cards is all I want

Random suggestion. I'll keep it brief:

Just for fun, how about the idea of being able to collect Pokemon TCG Cards? Got a spare 100,000$? Buy a pack of 5 or 6 cards based off the Base Set of PokeTCG Cards and throw them into a new tab in your Backpack to trade around for fun with other players.

Now I'm not suggesting coding in the entire TCG game itself, just the cards. It'd be a fun and neat idea no other Pokemon games have done for additional playability after you beat the game and have time to spare.

I realize 100,000$ for a pack isn't balanced too, it was just an example. A Pack of cards could probably cost quite a bit since money farming is so easy nowadays.

Additional Idea: Whenever we're able to see other Trainer Cards, maybe throw in the option to put one of the cards you own on your Trainer Card to show off. Throw in the random option of "Holographic" cards to really annoy other people who don't have one.

So that's about it. Feedback? Criticism?

include shiny versions of the cards too

1/32000 of getting a shiny card

SAME RATIO AS THIS MMO*

*according to an ex-staff member

However this sounds good it will never happen

After seeing how game developed and got better/worse then it was before, card game would be very hard to implement in Pokemmo due to doing a lot of new things, programming a whole new things which werent in fire red. I would rather that new regions get implemented.

But if they implement only cards (not full game) as collectables, that would make me to play game again. Cards could be found on wild Pokemon at low percentages, like 5%.Each pokemon would carry its own card. That would make catching wild pokemon again a thing (held items cant be on new born pokemon). Also thief wouldnt work on cards.

Or card packs could be rp items, and be in the gift shop.

Don´t think this with rp would work. rp is only for people who want to contribute so not everyone could get those cards.

Niether will money work cuz money is supposedly hard to get now and wasting money on lets say "useless" things would be worse then matchmaking.

I just don't understand the point of putting in a Pokemon trading card game into a universe where Pokemon exist....its like if we made trading card series of everyday objects and creatures found in our world like housecats and baseball bats....there's no logic to it.

I used to collect baseball cards of players who exist in the universe..

Nah, that's too much scripting. Trade able collectible cards is all I want

I don't want it to just be collectible cards. Then that just means you're getting cards to get cards which have no purpose what so ever. Except to brag about having an awesome card over someone else. If you need more stuff for your ego then that's just lame.

might as well just make the cards something you have to spend money on, not pokedollars.

I don't want it to just be collectible cards. Then that just means you're getting cards to get cards which have no purpose what so ever. Except to brag about having an awesome card over someone else. If you need more stuff for your ego then that's just lame.

might as well just make the cards something you have to spend money on, not pokedollars.

Well if you want to play pokemon cards download the online tcg. I just want something that there is actually has a chance to be implemented, then maybe improved upon.