Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kenjitamura

[MOD] Upscaled Back Sprites- Needs Testing *Updated*

Recommended Posts

*Only Normal Back Sprites Done So Far*


A lot came up and so I put working on this mod on the backburner but I'm back with a modified mod and some comparison screen shots.

 

It can be summarized as a 2x upscale of the back sprites found in this mod: https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/56472-mod-animated-battle-sprites-from-xy-oras-update-20160824/

 

It was upscaled with waifu2x but other little things were done to them as well such as spatio-temporal denoising, sharpening, and their borders were thinned and "halo'd" to deal with the quirks of gif's 1-bit alpha channels.

 

The idea behind the mod was that if the base gif's for the client were doubled in advance with a higher quality algorithm then the internal game client's more basic upscaling of the images would not murder the end result so bad.  I think it does look slightly better this way but I don't imagine everyone will feel the same.  All the processing done to the images made them quite massive so the mod is split into two parts.  Part 1 is pokemon 1-348 and Part 2 is 348+.

 

Part 1

 

Part 2

 

 

Comparison photos:

Ferrothorn without a mod:

Spoiler

p1sc4TV.png

Ferrothorn with my mod:

Spoiler

4zIkgIk.png

Charizard without a mod:

Spoiler

wkSImAL.png

Charizard with my mod:

Spoiler

KhnBBsQ.png

Venusaur without a mod:

Spoiler

boDiJLl.png

Venusaur with my mod:

Spoiler

bzvbptQ.png

Metagross without a mod:

Spoiler

6tTglyI.png

Metagross with my mod:

Spoiler

6T23U3K.png

 

Share this post


Link to post

Needs to fix facial errors with pokemon with mouths such a  bulbasaur as the upscaling doesn't blend with the sprite versions of these models

 

Share this post


Link to post

Since you're not fully done can you upscale it to 4x instead too? or is that too much memory? can I do that myself?

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/4/2019 at 4:35 PM, Charharr said:

Since you're not fully done can you upscale it to 4x instead too? or is that too much memory? can I do that myself?

 

The reason I didn't upscale further is mostly due to size.  Doubling the resolution increases the file sizes a lot and I've already had to split the mod into two parts as Pokemmo doesn't support mods larger than 200 mb.

 

I can post my scripts for automating the upscale process but doing it yourself probably won't be worth it.  My scripts are written in bash so you'd need to be using either linux or the windows linux subsytem and one of the tools I'm using is specifically made for Nvidia GPU's.  Not to mention most of them are using some form of absolute file path somewhere in the script and so you'd have to manually edit the bash scripts.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/18/2019 at 7:03 PM, Kenjitamura said:

The reason I didn't upscale further is mostly due to size.  Doubling the resolution increases the file sizes a lot and I've already had to split the mod into two parts as Pokemmo doesn't support mods larger than 200 mb.

 

I can post my scripts for automating the upscale process but doing it yourself probably won't be worth it.  My scripts are written in bash so you'd need to be using either linux or the windows linux subsytem and one of the tools I'm using is specifically made for Nvidia GPU's.  Not to mention most of them are using some form of absolute file path somewhere in the script and so you'd have to manually edit the bash scripts.

Thanks for replying and it's good to see that you're considerate of file size but is there a way to make the sprites full on 3d models that are compressed similar to poke one? or do you need to combine both sprite types into 1 script which is more complicated I think

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/22/2019 at 3:44 PM, Charharr said:

Thanks for replying and it's good to see that you're considerate of file size but is there a way to make the sprites full on 3d models that are compressed similar to poke one? or do you need to combine both sprite types into 1 script which is more complicated I think

 

Are you talking about using the front and back sprites to make a 3d rendering?  There's probably no effective way to automate that process.  Going from 2d to 3d would require extruding parts of the image to give it the 3d effect and although there are tools to kind of do that automatically, last I saw, they aren't very reliable and would require someone to manually edit the result anyway.  This problem would be exacerbated by the fact that an animated gif has a few dozen frames and an automated 2d to 3d tool would probably create extrusions in different points on the different frames which would make it look like an undulating mess.  I also have to stress that trying to manually edit every individual frame would definitely not be worth it because there are a combined total of somewhere over 20,000 frames in each the front and back sprite mods.

Edited by Kenjitamura

Share this post


Link to post

Hello,

 

this is awesome but Zebstrika backsprite has an sparkling error... can you fix it?

 

It is like a black screen going in and out every few seconds... it's very disgusting :(

Share this post


Link to post

Hey great work you have done here

 

I appreciate the effort, i too hate the blocky back sprite gifs, this looks nice but the fluid look due to the effects are a tad too much.

 

I am still going to use it and see if i can get used to it

Thanks alot

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/20/2019 at 2:33 PM, Mivadeth said:

Hello,

 

this is awesome but Zebstrika backsprite has an sparkling error... can you fix it?

 

It is like a black screen going in and out every few seconds... it's very disgusting :(

Fixed in new Part 2 link.

 

You caught one I had missed.  The software I use to extract still images from the original gif's, imagemagick, messes up with the transparency layer on some of them.  I haven't been able really to discern why it does it but the simple fix is to go into the folder with all the still images and delete the faulty ones with black in them.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/4/2019 at 3:34 PM, Charharr said:

Needs to fix facial errors with pokemon with mouths such a  bulbasaur as the upscaling doesn't blend with the sprite versions of these models

 

your supposed to use this with the hd sprite mod

Share this post


Link to post

Hello.

First thanks for your time and work. Second, i'm having issue and  a question.

 

RESOLVED The issue. I'm currently unable to use the part 2 of this mod. It just don't appears in Mod Management option. Any idea ? The part 1 works as intended. RESOLVED

 

The question. Could you do the same on front sprite from gen5? The current HD Battle Sprite mod have SD version of them. Would be nice if it was possible to enhance them.

 

Thanks again. Take care.

Edited by Sharkihann

Share this post


Link to post

I know its a minnor issue but just reporting, i noticed leavanny has a black backgrounded frame that needs fixing.
Btw, thanks a lot for this beautiful work, it's amazing!

Share this post


Link to post

   It shows on the phone too big, modify the scale inside also useless, very uncomfortable, what method can the landlord make the phone a little smaller?

Edited by mynameiso

Share this post


Link to post

I solved it. Files first, then click open folder, in the point that all pictures folder, pull to the end, there will be a table what suffix is TXT file and then open, the files in the 0 = 0.4 and so on all replacement of 0.4 to 0.5, and then replace it again, see how much you love, I tried many feel the most comfortable of 0.4, 0.4, so I replace back again and then will you unpack the folder of the three contents compressed together, and then put the zip in the game can be added to the mod. There is an error in the table file in the second file, 0.4 is written as 0.5. I don't know what the impact will be, so I'd better change it when replacing the second file. However, there is one drawback after I modified all of them, which is that the hd mod on the back of the flash will be smaller.

      我解决了。先将文件解压,然后点开文件夹 ,在点开那个全是图片的文件夹 ,拉到最后 ,会有一个table什么后缀是txt的文件,然后打开,将文件里的0=0.4等等中的0.4全部替换为0.5, 然后再替换一次 ,看自己喜欢多大的了, 我试了很多觉得0.4的最舒服,所以我又替换回来了0.4,再然后将你解压下来的文件夹里面的三个东西一起压缩,再然后把这个zip的在游戏里添加到mod里就可以了。  第二个文件里面的table文件里有个错误,0.4写成了0.5,我不知道有什么影响  所以第二个文件替换时最好改了。但是我改完了所以的后有个缺点 ,就是闪光背面的一个高清mod会变小。

If the software is translated into English, please understand if there are any mistakes.

Edited by mynameiso

Share this post


Link to post

Awsome MOD! Just a silly question, after the latest update we can use x4 render scale battle sprites, does this mean we have native support for even higher sprites resolutions? Does this mean for MODs too? 

 

(sorry for my bad english).

Share this post


Link to post

That's a great mod, and very good. I used to download mods at techbigs.com, but now I experience your mods. Thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/23/2019 at 11:08 PM, Kenjitamura said:

*Only Normal Back Sprites Done So Far*


A lot came up and so I put working on this mod on the backburner but I'm back with a modified mod and some comparison screen shots.

 

It can be summarized as a 2x upscale of the back sprites found in this mod: https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/56472-mod-animated-battle-sprites-from-xy-oras-update-20160824/

 

It was upscaled with waifu2x but other little things were done to them as well such as spatio-temporal denoising, sharpening, and their borders were thinned and "halo'd" to deal with the quirks of gif's 1-bit alpha channels.

 

The idea behind the mod was that if the base gif's for the client were doubled in advance with a higher quality algorithm then the internal game client's more basic upscaling of the images would not murder the end result so bad.  I think it does look slightly better this way but I don't imagine everyone will feel the same.  All the processing done to the images made them quite massive so the mod is split into two parts.  Part 1 is pokemon 1-348 and Part 2 is 348+.

 

Part 1

 

Part 2

 

 

Comparison photos:

Ferrothorn without a mod:

  Hide contents

p1sc4TV.png

Ferrothorn with my mod:

  Hide contents

4zIkgIk.png

Charizard without a mod:

  Hide contents

wkSImAL.png

Charizard with my mod:

  Hide contents

KhnBBsQ.png

Venusaur without a mod:

  Hide contents

boDiJLl.png

Venusaur with my mod:

  Hide contents

bzvbptQ.png

Metagross without a mod:

  Hide contents

6tTglyI.png

Metagross with my mod:

  Hide contents

6T23U3K.png

 

Looking hella clean

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2020 at 9:46 AM, Ryosoku said:

Hi ^^ So I saw that your mod didn't have shiny pokemon, so I used your mod as a base because it is the best mod and added the shinys sprites, I hope have helped the game community ^^ thx for create this mod

part 1

http://www.mediafire.com/file/j26av3ekf3phpdt/Part_1_ALTERED.zip/file

part 2

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8tmu86qi5iwb1oc/Part_2_ALTERED.zip/file

 

You should check out Verdeps HD battle sprites mod it's better than this one 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.