Nerf Berry Farming

Raichuforyou

Question

I feel like this is a controversial topic since I think a LOT of people get a good bulk of their money from farming berries, but I feel the system as a whole needs to be revamped. It's hard to draw objective comparisons between passive berry farming work and busywork like Gym Leader rematches, hunting for certain items, etc, but for the time invested into berry farming compared to most other forms of grinding in the game, it just seems that berry farming has way too much of a yen edge on any other form of grinding or farming currently. Like I said, this is an odd position to compare two different money making methods, because one requires you revisiting the same plots of land in a specific timeframe a few times in order to obtain your yen, while the other can be done at any other given time. But for the raw amount of time invested compared between the two regardless, farming berries always seems to come out on top.

I don't necessarily think that berry farming should even be nerfed down to be equal in terms of the time invested to yen payout ratio for doing for example, gym rematches. I certainly think it should be paying you out more for investing your time in an odd way to where you have to revisit berry patches at specific times. It's a very unique activity. The problem is that I think it's been so much better than any other money making method in the game that it has turned into just the way to make yen.

I honestly don't know what to specifically provide here as an example for the nerf either; if it were in the form of lower sell prices, lesser yields, longer grow times (unpreferable), but I feel something has to be done. I also understand that the mod/admin team cannot come out and say that they would consider a nerf since it would singlehandedly cause an awkward rush in the market so... just discuss if you're in favor of this, I suppose?

The berry farming is only economically viable when you have all the options in the game available to you. If there was a massive influx of berries and no money available, the money that players would be willing to pay for the berries would be minimal. The fact that people are able to pay that money to the people farming those berries to make it profitable implies that there's no shortage of PokeYen in the market. The thing is, a big part of the PokeYen in the game is generated by people playing the storyline and that's their only way of gaining "wealth". The fact that when you have everything available and you can take use of it is a good thing and it encourages to complete the game and make everything available to you. In this sense, I see no problem whatsoever, quite opposite actually.

If there's anything, I think it's sort of weird that berry farming is so AFK based resource gathering. But this being said, after being forced to actively grind this game to gain any resources, I wouldn't wish that suffering for anyone. I think it's sort of win-win. The people who play the storyline would do the NPC battles anyways and they have an influx of PokeYen to the game. The people who are done with the game gain it via berry farming.

The question is, who is the dude who keeps dropping a whole million on my 1000 leppas every other day?

I feel like the reason berries are so pricy is that nobody actually berry farms. Compared to the amount of people who buy berries on GTL.

26 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

the money that players would be willing to pay for the berries would be minimal.

I had to reread this a few times thinking it was a troll.

If you think berry farming is a positive mechanic whatsoever I have serious doubts you've tried it yourself or realize how much money is being generated.

First off, selling berries on GTL is the least profitable method. The main method is selling berries to NPCs (which is literally a money generator) and you can make roughly 1.1m per account per day if you buy your seeds. Personally I only have the patience for 3 accounts so I only make 1.1m per day but there are people making double/triple that amount. 

It takes no effort and little time with massive profit, which is just being generated by NPCs and not other players. 

36 minutes ago, Kyotan said:

just buff gyns money

next

That solves nothing. Buffing gym runs or any NPC is the same as berry farming, it brings in new money to the game. There's already so much money being generated and few money sinks. 

2 hours ago, Eggplant said:

The question is, who is the dude who keeps dropping a whole million on my 1000 leppas every other day?

I feel like the reason berries are so pricy is that nobody actually berry farms. Compared to the amount of people who buy berries on GTL.

The million of chinese players actively farming enigma berries and the likes and selling to npcs. 

36 minutes ago, Kyotan said:

just buff gyns money

Tbh, this wouldn't solve a thing. Inflaction is happening right now at such fast pace due to berry npc selling. Remove berry price, to force people to sell them through gtl which would mean no new money being made. Ooooor just ban alt running, making in punishable, preventing people from farming in 15+ accounts.

I think I wanted to clarify when I was talking about nerfing berry farming, I am absolutely fine with the GTL exchanges of berry because that does not produce yen whatsoever, it is just exchanging goods for already existing yen. The main problem is the berry NPC buyers. I'm wondering why berries get a guaranteed NPC buyer treatment while other goods like shards, berries, etc, just have to rely on supply and demand from the GTL.

8 hours ago, ImFunk said:

I had to reread this a few times thinking it was a troll.

If you think berry farming is a positive mechanic whatsoever I have serious doubts you've tried it yourself or realize how much money is being generated.

First off, selling berries on GTL is the least profitable method. The main method is selling berries to NPCs (which is literally a money generator) and you can make roughly 1.1m per account per day if you buy your seeds. Personally I only have the patience for 3 accounts so I only make 1.1m per day but there are people making double/triple that amount. 

It takes no effort and little time with massive profit, which is just being generated by NPCs and not other players. 

Yeah, I haven't tried berry farming. Only buying them from GTL so I assumed that's the primary market for them. If farming to sell to NPCs is the optimal way of profiting then that's a gigantic yikes economy wise and then definitely would need a fix. By the way, why do people list any berries in GTL if the case is that you make more by selling to NPCs, just genuinely curious.

And not a troll, no. Imagine someone not knowing how to play Farming Simulator 2019 in a Pokemon game.

Edited by OrangeManiac
5 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

By the way, why do people list any berries in GTL if the case is that you make more by selling to NPCs, just genuinely curious.

Because there are berries that no one actually uses, so unless you want to wait 2 months for an obscure berry to sell, you sell em to NPCs. If you grow something thats used a lot (Leppas, EV reducing berries, ...) its better to sell them on GTL. 

Anyway, OP seems to be missing the factor that farming berries requires you to stick to a schedule, while you can do gymruns whenever you please. Not to mention it already got nerfed, they raised the prices of harvesting tools a while back. I spend about 300k on harvesting tools every day, that's as much as your profit from gymruns. To me it feels like this post was made by someone that doesn't understand berryfarming at all. 

I actually want to enjoy playing this game, by growing berries i don't have to waste 2 hours of my life battling NPCs every day and i can focus on the things that are actually fun. 

Edited by Minks
1 hour ago, Minks said:

Because there are berries that no one actually uses, so unless you want to wait 2 months for an obscure berry to sell, you sell em to NPCs. If you grow something thats used a lot (Leppas, EV reducing berries, ...) its better to sell them on GTL. 

So even though Leppas, EV reducing berries and 50% healing berries are the ones with the most practical utility, people still prefer to farm berries that are useless beyond selling them to NPCs because they're cheaper/easier to farm, or something like that I guess? Dang, the more you know. Not only does that cause money inflation but also disincentivizes to farm berries that the community actually would invest in and benefit from, and that definitely sounds like a problem, I agree with the concerns then.

If berries cannot be made equally easy to farm to make people farm the useful berries, I guess the only way to fix anything is to reduce the NPC sales prizes. Would that decrease the value of useful berries in GTL too, probably. Paying 1-2k for a useful berry from GTL never felt like a rip-off exactly but with gigantic supply I guess the prices would inevitably go down for all the berries.

Edited by OrangeManiac
for the love of god why do I keep saying "breed" instead of farm
16 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

So even though Leppas, EV reducing berries and 50% healing berries are the ones with the most practical utility, people still prefer to farm berries that are useless beyond selling them to NPCs because they're cheaper/easier to farm, or something like that I guess?

Yep, there's peoples making 10m+/3 days without actively trading a single item, by selling berries to npc. Inflaction is directly related to this berry npc selling.

Tried berry farming (Leichi, to sell to NPC), and this was my experience:

Used 156 berry farming spots in Unova (Mistralton + Abundant Shrine)

Total revenue came around 1.8m, but had to invest around 1m to get the berries to grow the Leicha berry plant. So profit was around 800k.

And this payout was on the 3rd day. So basically making a profit of 263k per day.

Not to mention I had to water them all every 10h or so (something which I almost missed due to irl stuff) and it takes around 15 minutes.

+ the 15 minutes it took while initially planting the berry + 15 minutes when picking them out = approximately 1.5h or more time to be invested in a perfectly scheduled manner.

Not to mentioned watering 156 spots is boring asf, If someone actually can keep it up for 3 days for that petty payout, it's already pretty low imo.

44 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

So even though Leppas, EV reducing berries and 50% healing berries are the ones with the most practical utility, people still prefer to farm berries that are useless beyond selling them to NPCs because they're cheaper/easier to farm, or something like that I guess? 

Not exactly. I buy leppas, but grow other berries, because they fit my schedule better and the yield is good enough to make money off of it. The nerf you all want (apparently, i still dont really understand why) already happened when they raised the price of harvesting tools and lowered the sell price of berries to NPCs. I use 2 accounts and still only make about 150k more every day than a gymrun would give me. It's not as broken as this thread makes it seem, you need like at least 3-4 accounts with unova finished to make A LOT of money off berries. Another factor that hasn't been mentioned here is the importance of sticking to your schedule. If i am 1 hour behind on schedule, i lose a significant amount of berries and the profit drops. It's all a little more complicated than planting berries, waiting ~20 hours and collecting your money. 

Nerfing even more would only result in making the game even more boring, with the best way of making money to be fighting the same NPCs over and over again. The way it works now, you have a way to make money and still have the time to actually have fun playing the game, I don't see why you would change that. 

Edited by Minks
22 minutes ago, Akshit said:

Tried berry farming (Leichi, to sell to NPC), and this was my experience:

Used 156 berry farming spots in Unova (Mistralton + Abundant Shrine)

Total revenue came around 1.8m, but had to invest around 1m to get the berries to grow the Leicha berry plant. So profit was around 800k.

And this payout was on the 3rd day. So basically making a profit of 263k per day.

Not to mention I had to water them all every 10h or so (something which I almost missed due to irl stuff) and it takes around 15 minutes.

+ the 15 minutes it took while initially planting the berry + 15 minutes when picking them out = approximately 1.5h or more time to be invested in a perfectly scheduled manner.

Not to mentioned watering 156 spots is boring asf, If someone actually can keep it up for 3 days for that petty payout, it's already pretty low imo.

It's not too much, considering 3 days being 72 hours, and you watering them 7 times, meaning 7*15, meaning 105 minutes wasted of your life, to obtain 800k, which other method generates as much cash, that doens't require you to actively interact with other players by trading?  Now consider you do this in 10 alts, already 8m, now consider that there are people with 15 alts even doing this.

5 minutes ago, razimove said:

It's not too much, considering 3 days being 72 hours, and you watering them 7 times, meaning 7*15, meaning 105 minutes wasted of your life, to obtain 800k, which other method generates as much cash, that doens't require you to actively interact with other players by trading?  Now consider you do this in 10 alts, already 8m, now consider that there are people with 15 alts even doing this.

10 alts = 1050 minutes = 17.5 hours. 17.5 hours of watering/planting/picking/harvesting berries. :') Meaning in 3 days, you'd spent almost a full day doing something incredibly repetitive and boring. And you can't pick these hours either, as soon as you plant them, your time is set. If you mess up, you mess up your harvest. 

But I still don't understand the problem here. Every item/mon right now is pretty cheap, apart from the very old/rare vanities (that wouldve gone up in price either way) and the OP's issue can be dumbed down to "i spend 2 hours doing gymruns, why am i not making as much money as the berryfarmers". So what exactly is the issue here? 

Just now, Minks said:

10 alts = 1050 minutes = 17.5 hours.

You can massively reduce this time, by playing with 2 to 4 devices at once, which is what most do if I had to take a wild guess. And even if it was 17h split during 3 days, it's probably the same time you spend afk somewhere in the game, except they are productive with their time.  :')

2 minutes ago, Minks said:

But I still don't understand the problem here. Every item/mon right now is pretty cheap, apart from the very old/rare vanities

Everything lost value, while others grew by more than 1000% in value in a matter of 1 year, something that never happened before, this shows you inflaction working. Also it's not healthy to any game, to have a money fountain where you can just do nothing and get enough currency to pretty much buy anything in the game with little effort.

10 minutes ago, razimove said:

You can massively reduce this time, by playing with 2 to 4 devices at once, which is what most do if I had to take a wild guess. And even if it was 17h split during 3 days, it's probably the same time you spend afk somewhere in the game, except they are productive with their time.  :')

Everything lost value, while others grew by more than 1000% in value in a matter of 1 year, something that never happened before, this shows you inflaction working. Also it's not healthy to any game, to have a money fountain where you can just do nothing and get enough currency to pretty much buy anything in the game with little effort.

I highly doubt that's what happens or that the difference is that high. You can have 4 devices, you still only have 2 hands and can only do 1 thing at a time. So I'm not buying that. I wouldn't call spending 17 hours in 3 days berryfarming little effort. But again, if your favourite thing to do is AFK (guilty), then farming berries does give you that option while not being broke. I don't see how thats a bad thing.

If by things going up in value by 1000% you mean kyu hat, flaming skulls etc. i kinda see your point, but at the same time that's inevitable considering these items are limited and were distributed before the influx of chinese players. The berryfarming system might've sped up the process, but this wouldve happened either way. If those aren't the items you mean, then idk what you're talking about. But if you truly believe that this takes no effort, then all i can say is that i disagree. Coming from someone who farms them on just 2 accounts. 

edit; and i dont want to repeat myself, but those items went up in price before harvesting tool prices were raised and NPC payout for berries was lowered, just saying. 

Edited by Minks
8 minutes ago, Minks said:

but at the same time that's inevitable considering these items are limited

I mean, sure they're limited, they're bound to be a good overtime investment, as they usually can only go up in price. Not saying otherwise, 1000% is abnormal. Electric Storm sells for 1 billion now, 3 years ago was worth 6-10m. Desu labcoat price is probably a ridiculously high value, last I checked on the chinese forum, they were offering above 2.5b in cash and limiteds, 2 to 3 years ago, it wouldnt sell for over 40m on the forum. A Skull was worth 6 to 10m early 2018.

8 minutes ago, Minks said:

. You can have 4 devices, you still only have 2 hands and can only do 1 thing at a time. So I'm not buying that

Not saying otherwise, but I know for a fact people use multiple devices, and you can play 3 at once or even 4 easily, considering the proccess of berry farming is extremely simple, with android devices is very easy. Heck and even if you want to do it 1 by 1, you can be watching a movie, playing MM, doing anything, while you afk berry farm on other account.

And for the reward you get it is indeed little time, name me another method that would generate as much cash in the same amount of time, literally just 1.

Edited by razimove
Just now, razimove said:

I mean, sure they're limited, they're bound to be a good overtime investment, as they usually can only go up in price. Not saying otherwise, 1000% is abnormal. Electric Storm sells for 1 billion now, 3 years ago was worth 6-10m. Desu labcoat price is probably a ridiculously high value, last I checked on the chinese forum, they were offering above 2.5b in cash and limiteds, 2 to 3 years ago, it wouldnt sell for over 40m on the forum. 

And for the reward you get it is indeed little time, name me another method that would generate as much cash in the same amount of time, literally just 1.

I really believe that that has more to do with the influx of players and older players with those items disappearing, then people using berryfarming to gain money. If you forget about the berries and just use supply/demand 101 for those items, it makes perfect sense. That being said, 1000% is abnormal, but i highly doubt that if you would even take away the option to sell berries to NPCs, that would change anything now. And just to be clear, there is no NPC giving you more money per berry than GTL. Leppas still sell for more than whatever the NPC pays. 

And yes, berryfarming is the most rewarding moneymaking option in the game. I don't think anyone is arguing that fact. My point is more that it's a good thing this option exists, so you're not forced to spend all your time grinding money instead of playing the game. I really like shinyhunting, but if i had to spend 2 hours beating up NPCs in braindead battles, i'm really not in the mood to go do that anymore. 

When you create a pure yen source (in the form of allowing berries to be sold to NPC's) which is about 4x more efficient in a time to yen ratio than the other yen making activity (NPC rematches), you absolutely are going to experience inflation on especially higher priced goods like the limited cosmetics. 1.5 hours of work on gym leader rematches nets you about 140,000. 1.5 hours invested into berries gets you 800,000. You can do the math on why the new standard of yen making would adapt to the more efficient one.

You get rewarded x4 more for putting your time into berries than doing the next best yen making activity in the game.

Seriously though. Just remove the NPC that buys the berries and have supply and demand dictate the price of berries. Even if the admins don't want to do that, massively nerf the sell price to where you're only getting rewarded let's say, twice as much compared to doing a gym run.

1 hour ago, Raichu4u said:

Seriously though. Just remove the NPC that buys the berries and have supply and demand dictate the price of berries. Even if the admins don't want to do that, massively nerf the sell price to where you're only getting rewarded let's say, twice as much compared to doing a gym run.

Why? What would this accomplish? Because if you think by doing this, items like the flaming skulls are gonna drop in price, you are going to be disappointed. 

Also, if you do all gyms it takes you about 1.5 hours but you make 280k-ish (been a while for me), definitely not 140k. 

Edited by Minks
49 minutes ago, Minks said:

Why? What would this accomplish? Because if you think by doing this, items like the flaming skulls are gonna drop in price, you are going to be disappointed. 

Also, if you do all gyms it takes you about 1.5 hours but you make 280k-ish (been a while for me), definitely not 140k. 

Ask yourself this: Why do berries get the privilege of being the only farmable item in the game that have a pretty respectable sell rate? Why is there no guaranteed 10K everstone shop buyer? NPC's who buy shards for 20K?

Selling labcoat 15bil :^)

Just do a profit/time analysis.

using 280k and 90mins for gyms, you are at apprx. 3.1k per minute.

using 800k and 105mins for berries, you are at apprx. 7.6k per minute.

I think it’s pretty clear that if you are gym running instead of berry farming, you are being un-optimal.

Sure, gyms are more convenient, but are they worth <50% efficiency?

The fact that some people have jobs and don’t have the schedules available to them to berry farm is kinda crappy to me. I think berry farming should be nerfed.

Honestly, I think it’s stupid that catching pokemon / battling isn’t the most profitable. Berry farming is lame. Like imagine when dungeons come out, if they don’t do better than 7.6k per minute, why do them? I’m gonna be sad when berry farming kills the viability of dungeons.

1 minute ago, Gilan said:

The fact that some people have jobs and don’t have the schedules available to them to berry farm is kinda crappy to me. I think berry farming should be nerfed.

Honestly, I think it’s stupid that catching pokemon / battling isn’t the most profitable. Berry farming is lame. Like imagine when dungeons come out, if they don’t do better than 7.6k per minute, why do them? I’m gonna be sad when berry farming kills the viability of dungeons.

Well, that's just the way it works tho doesn't it? If you buy flowers irl, put them in a pot and then go on vacation for 2 weeks, your plant is gonna die. This is why i'm not buying the whole comparing it to gyms and time put in argument, if you're gonna force yourself to stick to a schedule, you should be rewarded for it. Trust me, if the reward here sucked, no one would do this, definitely not on multiple alts. 

As far as dungeons are concerned, based on the info we/i have right now (and correct me if i'm wrong here) it would include hidden abilities and possibly legendaries, which is a completely different incentive than moneymaking. 

5 hours ago, Akshit said:

So basically making a profit of 263k per day.

I haven't read the entire thread but I've seen multiple different ways you guys are farming so I think I should share my method. I don't know if this is the best way to earn money but it works for me.

I farm Leichi berries on 3 different accounts. The way I counter the 3 day growth time is by growing them on different days. Example: Account 1 plants on Monday, account 2 on Tuesday, and account 3 on Wednesday. This makes it so despite the 3 day growth time, I'm harvesting berries every day. I invest 1.2m in seeds & selling the berries gives 2.1 or 2.2m, so around 1m profit each day. The water time for these berries are 12 hours, so I only have to log before I sleep & after I wake up. It takes me about 15 minutes to water on each account & 40 minutes to pick/plant/water every morning. That's about 2 hours of work every day for over a mil. 

Again I don't know if this is what everyone else is doing but it takes me little time, has a great schedule, and makes me 1m every day. I know for a fact people are doing this on more than 3 accounts so I can't even imagine how much money is being brought into the game.

Berry farming is not good for the game.