Some suggestions to make PokeMMO more MMO-like.

SoloReprise

Question

So, after more than 250 hours of game, I’m not getting bored but I’m seeing that I don’t have so many things to do. I’ve already finished Hoenn, Unova and Kanto storylines, and I’ve never been a guy that loves to complete the pokemon. “Catch’em all” is not my thing.

So, what can I do now? I love breeding pokes, and I’m having so much fun playing PvP, knowing my team, seeing what I need and what I don’t… But that’s not a “MMO thing”, that’s just a Pokemon Online thing. I’m having fun playing with friends, but that’s something that I could do with Pokemon Showdown. I like making the effort of breeding 5x31, thought, so that’s why I still playing.

Let’s be honest: This game could be more MMO-like. That’s why I’m writing this “suggestion pack”.  They’re inspired in things like Pokemon Go, and some things that we’ve seen about next Pokemon game. Let’s get started.

1. Giant Pokemon Matching (PvE’s parties)

In my humble opinion, one of the worst things of PokeMMO is the few options to play with friends, even if this is a MMO. Sure, as I said, you can match them, and you also can go to the battle frontier with them to win some battles. But, as far as I know, that’s all u can do if you are partying with a friend. I’m not sure, but I think that when Sinnoh’s dungeons come up we’ll be able to fight some legendaries and that with them, which is a great touch. It would even do this an unnecessary suggestion, which is nice. But, let’s do it anyways.

One of the weirdest things that we’re going to see at next Pokemon Sword and Shield is the possibility to match giant pokemons and even catch them. All this made with friends, which gives an extra on the entertainment part. How could this be done at PokeMMO?

With this suggestion, Giant Pokemons wouldn’t be catchable, only fightable. For this, we’ll need to be at a party with one or three friends. Giant Pokemons would have biggest stats that normal Pokemon, and would need about twelve pokemons to fight them.

Fights would be tag/lonely battles, and depending on the size of the party players would have with them more or less pokemons. Let’s say:

• Party of 2: 6 pokemon each one.
  • Party of 4: 3 pokemons each one.

If the party is of four people, damage done by the first two will be saved to the battle of the two next battlers. When the battle ends, people will receive a money prize. Didn’t thought about quantities, tho.

How giant pokemons would spawn? Well, I’ve got two ideas for this: maybe in certain positions, as places where usually legendary pokemons appear on the real games, but showing x2 sprites of the pokemons: how cool could be to find a Giant Gyarados where Kyogre appears?

Another option is to literally copy the way that Pokemon Sword and Shield will process this spawns: with special zones dedicated to this. I’ve made this quick and ugly sprite to show it:

SSWBwnh.png

We go here, we pay some objets to enter (maybe new ones, maybe recycling some not-usually-used that are already in the game) and we fight.

As an extra, I’ll say I’d love this thing more than the possibility of catching legendarys. To be totally honest, I really love how legendary pokemons are managed right now at PokeMMO: They’re weird, they’re hard to find, and they’re a real challenge.

tl;dr: New PvE party system inspired on Pokemon Sword and Shield, maybe with spawn zones as they will be at the new games, maybe with x2 sprites on different game zones. Money prizes. The objective of this is making new ways of gaming with friends and serious alternatives to competitive gaming.

2. Battling for Guild Bases (PvsP, Team battling)

This suggestion is inspired in two different things: Ragnarok Online (man, I love old times) and Pokemon Go (I got really bored of this too soon).

Right now, the opportunities offered by Guilds are less than anybody should expect. Most of the time, they are just a way to have a private chat with your friends. Why something as MMO-like and cool as teams should end like that?

What can we do to make Teams matter? Well, maybe this: Let’s make some places at the map conquerable twice a week (Maybe Wednesdays and Saturdays?). I’ve been thinking about which places could be those, and I thought about these:

• Kanto:
    • Celadon Mansion
    • Cinnabar Island
    • Seafoam Islands
  • Hoenn:
    • Dewford Town
    • Rustboro City (Big house with the old woman with the skitty)
    • Pacifidlog Town
  • Unova:
    • Undella Town (The Riches' House)
    • Opelucid City (House between Gym and Battle House)
    • Dreamyard’s basement (Maybe???)

How they’ll be marked? Well, we don’t have team badges online, but it would be a nice touch if they could be implemented. Team’s flag would be around the place, marking that the place is property of the guild. If this is impossible, maybe with some chosen color?

I took the almighty team lava’s logo to make another shitty sprite to show how property of a base could be marked, this time at Unova:

ZfnmsgM.png

But let’s go to the important: how this would work?

Let’s say Team A have one of the bases. They’ll work as a gym. Team A would have to put their best/chosed six Pokemons on a NPC that will be challenged by them or by other teams. This pokemons can be at any level. Something like Pokemon Go’s gyms.

Let’s say too that exists two other teams, B and C, that wants to get Team A’s base. Their members will be able to match Team A’s NPC trainer every time they want. Every win would give them Guild Points. Loses will give Team A guild points. Team A will be able to match his trainer too to win Guild Points, but they will win less points that the other two teams.

Twice a week, as I said in example Wednesdays and Saturdays, the accumulated guild points will make the Bases be maintained or change to another team. If the base is maintained, Team A members will receive some BP. If the base changes, the team receiving BP will be the new team owning the Base.

This could be more advanced, adding another NPCs protecting the “Base Leader” to make the final matches more difficult, in example.

I don’t know if this idea will be easy to understand. If it is not, I’ll try to rewrite some things and make some explanatory images.

PS. Yeah, I know there are Clan Wars, but they don't really convince me.

tl;dr: Team vs Team battles inspired on Ragnarok Online and Pokemon Go. Conquistable bases where the Winner Team would have to put their pokemons to defend the base from hostile teams. Bases will change of owners twice a week. The goal of this is give more importance to the PokeMMO's teams.

3. Original storyline.

After ending Kanto, Unova and Hoenn the storyline at the game doesn’t exist. As a fact, there’s no original story at PokeMMO, and it will be a nice touch.

Some people could be dedicated to write some things that change the game, maybe adding some original NPCs or maybe changing some spawn rates or zones. In example, we could create a team obsessed with toxic pokemons, creating spawns of koffing all over the game for a couple of weeks/until a NPC is defeated. This is just a fast example that came up to my mind in the two minutes I’m writing this. Don’t get it literally.

Those NPCs could be only fightable in 50lvl vs 50lvl fights, to make things more interesting for everybody. Prizes could be money, BP, vanities...

Right now, Staff members are chosen after 500 hours of game. People in charge of writing this stuff could be “not-staff-members”, but people who played lots of hours of the game (let’s say 300h) and want to collaborate too. Or maybe a new staff rank. Hell, I don’t know.

I know that there are great PvP and catching events, and I don’t want to change any of that as they’re great. This suggestion is only to make the game more interesting and story-rich.

tl;dr: Little changes on the gameplay (spawns, couple of new NPCs) every two weeks (or something like that) in 50vs50 battles to make something to do after beating the three leagues. The objective is to give something else to do aside breeding and compt.

---

So this are my suggestions. I don’t know if they’re nice ones, or even possible. Maybe I should have made a topic to each one of them, and if the staff thinks that that’s better I’ll divide this. Let’s discuss!

Edited by SoloReprise

17 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, razimove said:

3. Not happening most likely

2. Something similiar was suggested in the past, probably wont happen either

1. You already get to have pve parties sometimes on events.

Okay, let's argue! I'm here to defense my suggestions.

First of all, I don't think that we users should reject suggestions because what we assumpt that is likely to happen or not. That's a staff work, as they are who know what the limitations of the game are. So, I see your answer a little vague.

Seeing this, I can't answer anything about what you said about my suggestions number 3 and 2. Are they good or bad suggestions? What do u think about them? If you only say "Not happening", without stopping on reading them and criticize them as they should, we're not getting anything of this. Maybe you're against something that I've wrote up there, but if that's the case I'd love to know why.

About your answer about the first suggestion, I'm going to answer here:

"Sometimes" is less than we should expect, or that's how I see it. The maiority of events that we see now are PvP tournaments and catching events, all of them depending a lot of the online staff and with a mark of "special". What I'm suggesting here is to add something to the monotony of the game. Something that you can do with your friends in the same level of going to rematch gym leaders. Why? Well, because sometimes the only MMO aspect of PokeMMO is seeing another charas going around the same city than you are, and that's not too much.

Sure, pve parties on events are nice, but I don't think that there's where we should stop, as I think it's not enough.

I'm making all this suggestions as a player that loves the game and wants to play it (and will play it) hundreds of hours more. If anything of this is not possible, I'd like to see a Staff explaining why more than users supposing that they aren't with no explanation.

1. Is in the works and has already been in the works for quite some time with respect to dungeons. There have also been Seasonal events in the past that required coop parties as well, Christmas and Chinese New Year events for example. For the Giant Pokemon, aka Duramax, that would function more like a Raid Battle. It'd be a very nice touch, but 12 Pokemon to match the stats is too much considering no other Pokemon in game gets stats outside of the normal bounds. That'd be incredibly OP comparatively, and quite honestly incredibly frustrating. Players are already finding breeding and hunting breeders to be a tedious task as is and that's just to build basic comps. It's even more tedious if you go for 6x31, natured, with perfect moveset. All this would do is require more grinding players already find boring. While there is already a level of grinding required with the only payoff being money. You aren't even taking into account the items that would be required for such a task. Not saying it's a bad idea mind, but rather that there are aspects you aren't taking into account.

I can't say too much on the other two honestly. Guild Bases have come up a few times in the past and I do think they would be a nice touch, but I'm not sure about turf wars between guilds.

2 hours ago, SoloReprise said:

Okay, let's argue! I'm here to defense my suggestions.

First of all, I don't think that we users should reject suggestions because what we assumpt that is likely to happen or not. That's a staff work, as they are who know what the limitations of the game are. So, I see your answer a little vague.

Seeing this, I can't answer anything about what you said about my suggestions number 3 and 2. Are they good or bad suggestions? What do u think about them? If you only say "Not happening", without stopping on reading them and criticize them as they should, we're not getting anything of this. Maybe you're against something that I've wrote up there, but if that's the case I'd love to know why.

About your answer about the first suggestion, I'm going to answer here:

"Sometimes" is less than we should expect, or that's how I see it. The maiority of events that we see now are PvP tournaments and catching events, all of them depending a lot of the online staff and with a mark of "special". What I'm suggesting here is to add something to the monotony of the game. Something that you can do with your friends in the same level of going to rematch gym leaders. Why? Well, because sometimes the only MMO aspect of PokeMMO is seeing another charas going around the same city than you are, and that's not too much.

Sure, pve parties on events are nice, but I don't think that there's where we should stop, as I think it's not enough.

I'm making all this suggestions as a player that loves the game and wants to play it (and will play it) hundreds of hours more. If anything of this is not possible, I'd like to see a Staff explaining why more than users supposing that they aren't with no explanation.

Thats the spirit my dude, yet it doesnt matter, chances are neither of this will happen, aside from 1. They dont want original content, and strongly doubt a suggestion about bases that has been previously like 2-4 times, will happen either.

21 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

1. Is in the works and has already been in the works for quite some time with respect to dungeons. There have also been Seasonal events in the past that required coop parties as well, Christmas and Chinese New Year events for example. For the Giant Pokemon, aka Duramax, that would function more like a Raid Battle. It'd be a very nice touch, but 12 Pokemon to match the stats is too much considering no other Pokemon in game gets stats outside of the normal bounds. That'd be incredibly OP comparatively, and quite honestly incredibly frustrating. Players are already finding breeding and hunting breeders to be a tedious task as is and that's just to build basic comps. It's even more tedious if you go for 6x31, natured, with perfect moveset. All this would do is require more grinding players already find boring. While there is already a level of grinding required with the only payoff being money. You aren't even taking into account the items that would be required for such a task. Not saying it's a bad idea mind, but rather that there are aspects you aren't taking into account.

I can't say too much on the other two honestly. Guild Bases have come up a few times in the past and I do think they would be a nice touch, but I'm not sure about turf wars between guilds.

Okay, MAYBE twelve pokes are too much. I mean, in my suggestion that'd be the maximum number of Pokemons that the party could bring. Not saying that all should be necessary to kill the "Giant Pokemon" if the types chosen by the players are the proper needed. But, also, I think that the spawn of the Pokemon should be aleatory, so that would be a bit of a handicap.

About seeing breeding and hunting bit frustrating: I don't think that u should need to go to this giant hunt with 6x31 Pokemons, cos it would be against the spirit of this suggestion. Why we need this? As an alternative to the things u said. After beating the E4s, you can only do a few things, being the most popular of them breeding to play in competitive and making the game a "more difficult" Pokemon Showdown. Which is interesting, but I don't think that we should stop here. There's a lot of people who likes to play Pokemon in another ways: not breeding, but catching. Not catching, but buying and selling in the GTL. I think that the game must be adapted to every type of player and with that make a diverse and fun community. Also, breeding and compt players could play this too, so is a 3x1. 

But, as you said in your post and I stated at the begining of my suggestion, I know that the dudgeons are coming up and they will have some of the spirit of this, which is good. I don't think that both things are redundant, so I'm still going with this one, but I'd be happy with only party dungeons tho.

20 hours ago, razimove said:

Thats the spirit my dude, yet it doesnt matter, chances are neither of this will happen, aside from 1. They dont want original content, and strongly doubt a suggestion about bases that has been previously like 2-4 times, will happen either.

Yeah, but still, I think is good to discuss them, and also is very positive to make big, dreaming suggestions like this.

Can't buy the "they don't want original content" argument tho, as we've already have lot of original things on the game. As I've read today on another topic, "This is PokeMMO, not Pokemon". We should have the right and the predisposition to discuss things like these ones stated above, think about them and maybe try to get them done. That's why I've done this suggestions. They're not random but thinked and also honest thoughts about how to make PokeMMO funnier and entertaining for everyone.

So yeah, even if they have not too many chances to get done, I'm still asking for upvotes and wanting that some staff check this and see their opinion about them!

Edited by SoloReprise

Wont quote as im mobile and woukd have to quote all. About original content, we dont have any, even follower sprites are a mod and not part of the client, this is to avoid I.P. and copyright infrigements. Also, lets be honest, they take years to introduce a gen with assets already made, if they were to create one from scratch, maybe your son would get a chance to play it.

39 minutes ago, razimove said:

Wont quote as im mobile and woukd have to quote all. About original content, we dont have any, even follower sprites are a mod and not part of the client, this is to avoid I.P. and copyright infrigements. Also, lets be honest, they take years to introduce a gen with assets already made, if they were to create one from scratch, maybe your son would get a chance to play it.

The way that competitive is managed, BP based moves, Tutor based moves, traveling between regions, sometime on the future the way that dungeons are expected to be... I think that's all original content. Maybe not as decisive or big as what I'm proposing, but they're original stuff.

1 minute ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Or another suggestion; implement sinnoh or dungeons already

(about to get blasted with replies in 3.....2.....1....)

Yeah, this would make my first suggestion a little redundant, but I'm still proposing it as I think it could be nice, tho!

11 minutes ago, awkways said:

can we get a tl:dr on this one please

Done! Sorry for not doing it before!

1 minute ago, razimove said:

1)big boss event like, kinda like the last one we had

2)fight for land, guild bases pretty much

3) original map

I'm not asking for an original map! Only changing spawn rates/pokemon spawned and adding a couple of NPCs weekly to fight! Maybe even combining both things to revert the spawning!

Edited by SoloReprise
2 minutes ago, SoloReprise said:

The way that competitive is managed, BP based moves, Tutor based moves, traveling between regions, sometime on the future the way that dungeons are expected to be... I think that's all original content. Maybe not as decisive or big as what I'm proposing, but they're original stuff.

Yeah, this would make my first suggestion a little redundant, but I'm still proposing it as I think it could be nice, tho!

Done! Sorry for not doing it before!

I admire your determination in trying to liven up a dying game. But I truly feel these ideas would be better once all the major parts of the game that have yet to be added are finally added; Sinnoh, Dungeons, Johto, etc.)

1 minute ago, BoltBlades12 said:

I admire your determination in trying to liven up a dying game. But I truly feel these ideas would be better once all the major parts of the game that have yet to be added are finally added; Sinnoh, Dungeons, Johto, etc.) 

Oh, I'm not in a hurry. Not at all. I know that they may be difficult to program and to add to the game. Maybe the first two are too difficult to do "right now". I think that the "priority number one" of the three could be the third one, as adding a couple of NPCs or editing the spawing rates seems easier that making big-changing projects as the other two suggestions. Also, I think I proposed ways to make this third one faster to implement. Or maybe I'm dreaming.

I don't think this game is dying, as I see a good, "kind-of-healthy" community on it. But I think it has failures and weak points and I'm trying to revert the situation and thinking about ways to make it funnier and less-boring and mechanic to every of us.

I want to thank you all who are coming here to read my suggestions and debating them with me, btw!

3 How about a monthly competition where people write side quests, then one gets chosen out of all entries and made into something ingame.

They could even create sprites and the parties of trainers you battle or code the whole thing themselves

Edited by MissingNerd
On 7/12/2019 at 11:29 AM, MissingNerd said:

3 How about a monthly competition where people write side quests, then one gets chosen out of all entries and made into something ingame. 

They could even create sprites and the parties of trainers you battle or code the whole thing themselves

I think this will need more burocracy than asking bout a fixed position to do so. Still ongoing with my first suggestion. But thanks for coming to this post!