Viable Ludicolo for a OU Rain Team

Hello,
I started to build my first rain team, but I'd like to make it a bit different from the usual OU choices (apart from the inseparable Pelipper-Kingdra-Kabutops trio).

Now I'm running with the following setup:

Spoiler

pelipper.png

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpA
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost

kabutops.png
Kabutops @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

kingdra.png
Kingdra @ Choice Specs
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- ??? (still have to decide... Hydro Pump or Draco Meteor? Or something else?)

jolteon.png
Jolteon @ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+Spa, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

flygon.png

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- U-Turn

donphan.png
Donphan @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SDef
Impish Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

I've been testing this team in OU for about one week, and it seems to perform very well, even with two lower-tier picks such as Flygon and Donphan. Flygon is really versatile and can outspeed choice scarfed Hydreigon; furthermore, U-Turn combined with Jolteon Volt Switch is a great combo to keep the momentum of the match, which is really important in a rain team.

Donphan can get handy to face Scizor with no effort. However, I often have troubles beating Ferrothorn and Swampert. I was thinking about replacing Donphan with Ludicolo, which can deal with Swampert, Cloyster and even Ferrothorn, thanks to Focus Blast. Another advantage is the possibility to set up the rain with two Pokémon instead of just one (Peplipper is sufficiently bulky, however if the opponent manage to knock him out, it gets tough).
I came up with this set up, but before investing into it I'd like to know what you think about it:

ludicolo.png
Ludicolo @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk) or Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam / Scald
- Focus Blast

I still have to decide the IV spread and the nature, and whether to go with Scald or Ice Beam.

Do you think it could be a good pick for this team?

Thanks in advice for the help!

Edited by Trial4life
  • 1 month later...

I think it is a great addition and have been using it my self lately. Forget about rain dance, pelipper is enough to set rain. In case you do go with rain dance + damp rock take scald/hydropump over ice beam everytime. However, I think you want as much fire power and coverage as you can get. I suggest

Modest @lifeorb

252spatk 252speed

hydro pump/surf (hydro gives some nice OHKOS and 2HKOS but i lost two games in a row due to misses and was pissed so i switched. I do think hydro is better though if you dont tilt)

giga drain

ice beam

focus blast 

Focus blast is necessary to hit ferrothorn hard. stab gigadrain deals with bulky water types rain usually struggles with. Hydropump hits everything like a truck in rain. And ice beam is nice vs dragons, the only really impactful water resist besides water. Hence, Life orb + 4 attacks gives you maximum coverage and wallbreaking ability.

Apart from that I would also suggest some more changes to your team, although I am aware you want to try something out of the ordinary. I dont get the inclusion of scarf flygon. with 2-3 rain abusers, speed should be the least of your worries. So if you dont want to switch the mon completely, at least opt for choice band. I am also no fan of either jolteon nor donphan. Jolteon is widely used on rain, god knows why, but donphan is shaky at best. One electric immunity is definitely a good inclusion, i just think more offensive SR setters such as mamoswine would make a better fit.