User-added Pokedex Keywords

mistaaablake

Question

7 answers to this question

Ok, so for starters... I'm familiar with how the pokedex works, and that is why I made the suggestion. Let's not act like added functionality is a bad thing.

Let's re-imagine this button from "add nickname" into "add search term" specifically for your local pokedex. What kind of search terms could be useful? Well, for me, I can think of many many ways that this could be useful.

Popular terms could be:

"Breed" and it would list all Pokemon you have added this search term too. Future plans to breed and so on. You could also have a term to show everything you've already bred.

"EV" Also could be extremely useful to keep track of Pokemon that need specific Effort Values by using terms like "SPEED" "ATTACK" and so on... Eliminating the need to sift through boxes for just the right poke. So next time you're EV training, you'll be doing it with 5 EXP Shares.

"Hordes" Add only the only the ones that are useful to you. Whether it's hordes you wanna Shiny Hunt, or your favorite horde to EV train against... Whatever lol

Also it could even be useful for comp. Let's say your Pikachumon gets absolutely destroyed by one of the 30+ comps Razimove breeds weekly. Well now you can go to all the main threats (and the odd threats) that Pikachumon faces and add the term "Pikachumon" to them. Now when you are in a battle and you have your dex out, searching "Pikachumon" will show Pikachumon and all the "competitive threats" that you've added! Maybe you only wanna add odd pokes, like a weird speed scarf poke that wrecked you once... Who knows, but I think allowing people to add terms could even help newer players learn OU at a faster rate. It's like letting the user add helpful tips for themselves!

Important for this to work and flow  ->

-Easy to add terms

-Easy to manage and delete terms

-Ability to Export all your custom Pokedexs terms

2 hours ago, mistaaablake said:

Ok, so for starters... I'm familiar with how the pokedex works, and that is why I made the suggestion. Let's not act like added functionality is a bad thing.

Let's re-imagine this button from "add nickname" into "add search term" specifically for your local pokedex. What kind of search terms could be useful? Well, for me, I can think of many many ways that this could be useful.

Popular terms could be:

"Breed" and it would list all Pokemon you have added this search term too. Future plans to breed and so on. You could also have a term to show everything you've already bred.

"EV" Also could be extremely useful to keep track of Pokemon that need specific Effort Values by using terms like "SPEED" "ATTACK" and so on... Eliminating the need to sift through boxes for just the right poke. So next time you're EV training, you'll be doing it with 5 EXP Shares.

"Hordes" Add only the only the ones that are useful to you. Whether it's hordes you wanna Shiny Hunt, or your favorite horde to EV train against... Whatever lol

Also it could even be useful for comp. Let's say your Pikachumon gets absolutely destroyed by one of the 30+ comps Razimove breeds weekly. Well now you can go to all the main threats (and the odd threats) that Pikachumon faces and add the term "Pikachumon" to them. Now when you are in a battle and you have your dex out, searching "Pikachumon" will show Pikachumon and all the "competitive threats" that you've added! Maybe you only wanna add odd pokes, like a weird speed scarf poke that wrecked you once... Who knows, but I think allowing people to add terms could even help newer players learn OU at a faster rate. It's like letting the user add helpful tips for themselves!

Important for this to work and flow  ->

-Easy to add terms

-Easy to manage and delete terms

-Ability to Export all your custom Pokedexs terms

Ever heard of notepad or if you want a proper tool, excel or google sheets? Damagecalc? And most of those you get from experience either way, the comp been striving for around 6 years and there was never this necessity, the chinese joined the game last year, and there's chinese that are pretty ok in the comp scene, if you really need another example, and thanks for the google laugh pikachumon.

4 hours ago, mistaaablake said:

Let's not act like added functionality is a bad thing.

Added functionality is bad and pointless when it's redundant. Why have something that'd be redundant af?

Thanks for your idea though, keep brainstorming :)

2 hours ago, Dibz said:

Added functionality is bad and pointless when it's redundant. Why have something that'd be redundant af?

Thanks for your idea though, keep brainstorming :)

Every idea can be built upon. The concept to think about is pokedex improvements. Also keywords are far from redundant, it's a basic feature. Why can't I sort by egg group yet? They are obviously busy with other features, but if they are looking for something else to improve on, this could be a good place to focus efforts.

Also they could basically do anything with the pokedex, and it still wouldn't take away from the Game Boy aesthetic...  

Edited by mistaaablake
6 minutes ago, mistaaablake said:

Why can't I sort by egg group yet? 

See now THAT'S a good suggestion! As is adding Pokemon abilities to the pokedex. They're both something that'd be really useful and have been suggested multiple times. Wish it was implemented.