[PSL XI] PokeMMO Super League Season 11 General Thread

3 minutes ago, DaftCoolio said:

The main reasoning behind a snake is to make the tournament more competitive with more even teams.

If you want more even teams then the managers shouldn't get to play. A team with a top tier player as their manager is at a huge advantage to a team with someone who isn't as strong.

If you want to do a snake tournament then call it a snake tournament, this isn't really what psl is. How the team is chosen is the whole gimmick of these kinds of tournaments.

13 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Most of this community does want or care for showdown tiers. See? I too can make baseless statements incapable of being proven wrong 

I don't have to prove anything if the only person that bothers disagreeing with me is an inactive player. Find active MMO players that want to play the same showdown tier over an MMO tier and then we'll talk.

5 minutes ago, gbwead said:

I don't have to prove anything if the only person that bothers disagreeing with me is an inactive player. Find active MMO players that want to play the same showdown tier over an MMO tier and then we'll talk.

yeh but your opinion was still based on nothing though

and your comment was posted 46mins ago, you act like it's been there for a week and nobody disagreed. historically, there's been plenty of players who were active and still played showdown tiers, im sure you don't need to be look back and give you a list, you have a decent memory.

1 minute ago, RLotus said:

If you want more even teams then the managers shouldn't get to play. A team with a top tier player as their manager is at a huge advantage to a team with someone who isn't as strong.

If you want to do a snake tournament then call it a snake tournament, this isn't really what psl is. How the team is chosen is the whole gimmick of these kinds of tournaments.

I'm not really sure if I agree with your arguments here.

I agree that if the managers are selected, and 7 of the 8 are top tier players and 1 is terrible, then yeah, that one manager is probably at a disadvantage, but at the same time, not allowing managers to play either decreases the pool of good managers to choose from, or it decreases from the quality of the player pool, both of which we have seen in the past seasons. One potential option if this were an auction format is to have managers price each other and decide if they want to purchase themselves to play, the caveat being that they can play in any tier, not just a manager vs manager tier. This option is typically seen in the lower level smogon leagues that have a smaller playerbase, where if the managers didn't play, there would be a severe skill gap in the player pool. I'm not sure if this is really feasible in a snake format since each manager pick is essentially the same value, unlike the auction where one manager could be valued 5k more than another manager. Ultimately, allowing managers to play allows for the greatest selection of managers to choose from, since you no longer need to decide between getting to play or just managing, especially considering having 8 top players not being able to play can dramatically affect the overall skill level of a certain tier or just general skill level overall.

As for the Snake vs auction discussion, I think it's sort of silly to pretend that the unique thing about PSL is the auction. At the end of the day, SPL and Snake Draft are not terribly different outside of having different tiers to play. PSL in PokeMMO is unique because it is one of the only long-term team-based tournaments and is probably the only truly competitive one, seeing as World Cup had a myriad of problems that made it not competitive. The difference between auction and snake is usually the auction allows for a larger variation in the skill levels of players, e.g. buying 2 players for 30k each and then buying 8 players for 2-4k each, while snake *should* have a steady decline in the skill levels of players as rounds progress of the draft. Snake is also typically a tad bit more exclusive, but that really depends on what the rules are that Coolio comes up with. We have also had a snake draft in the past (season 7/8 I believe) for the first 2 rounds, and then had auction for the rest, so there is some precedent for a draft already.

I haven't read the OP since reading rules is for chumps.

18 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

yeh but your opinion was still based on nothing though

and your comment was posted 46mins ago, you act like it's been there for a week and nobody disagreed. historically, there's been plenty of players who were active and still played showdown tiers, im sure you don't need to be look back and give you a list, you have a decent memory.

Oh please do provide a list of active players that want to play the same showdown tier over all pokemmo tiers. Until then, what I said about the community not wanting showdown tiers will remain true. 

edit: My comment has been posted less than 1 hour ago, but let's not pretend that people haven't complained for a very long time about showdown tiers in PSL. Perhaps, you were too inactive to notice.

edit2:
From PSL 10 Week 7 thread

DPP OU: Kamimiii Dead Player vs SweeTforU Dead Player

DPP OU: XPLOZ Dead Player vs Linken Dead Player

DPP OU: NikhilR Dead Player vs Elcoolio Dead Player

DPP OU: LeJovi Dead Player vs gunthug Dead Player

PSL is a competition for the community, so it's not okay for MMO players to get benched in order for dead players to feel relevant.

Edited by gbwead
1 hour ago, BurntZebra said:

One potential option if this were an auction format is to have managers price each other and decide if they want to purchase themselves to play,

this is a good solution to that hopefully something like this is adjusted to snake format

1 hour ago, BurntZebra said:

PSL in PokeMMO is unique because it is one of the only long-term team-based tournaments and is probably the only truly competitive one, seeing as World Cup had a myriad of problems that made it not competitive.

I see your point here but I still feel like the auction is an integral part to psl's identity, but i guess that doesn't really matter. What matters is that many feel that the auction is one of the most exciting parts of psl and it would be a let down for it not to take place. Personally the auction is what i look forward to most, but if I'm off about what the rest of the community thinks or coolio just wants to try something new anyways, so be it.

@RLotus I don't disagree that the action is a pretty exciting event for the PSL. There's a ton of strategy and there's a lot of laughs. Don't forget DoubleWead 2017. But, in support of the snake draft, teams will be more balanced as one of the downsides of an auction is that there is usually a couple truly booty teams just because their manager was bad. Second, we've done it before and it was just fine. Maybe even one of our better seasons. Heck we've even done a crazy hybrid system too (JJ Best Host).

@Gunthug can probably tell you all about why a draft is dope. 

3 hours ago, calidubstep said:

Letting managers play puts honest and amazing people like @Bilburt at a disadvantage, which is sad since he has 100s of millions to donate to the pool

My point was, he’s basically better than everyone in the game so he chooses not to play and just hoard money so he can watch us plebs fight for it. Isn’t that right @Bilburt

13 hours ago, DaftCoolio said:

1. Managers will be able to play for their teams.

2. The draft format will be a full snake draft instead of the typical auction.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Also

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.