[PSL XI] PokeMMO Super League Season 11 General Thread

On 4/19/2019 at 11:11 PM, Nawe said:

wts doubles help/coaching services (if they caught you its your problem)

Nahwel offering coaching wtf is this real life ? Since when do you pay to get coached by a peanut ?

23 hours ago, NikhilR said:

The idea behind a "Manager's choice" tier is a really neat one man. I don't know if having SM OU is the right call,  mainly because it's so different from MMO OU and so I doubt we'd have the requisite amount of players to sign up for it. BW OU as a replacement would be most ideal as it is closest to MMO OU.  Anyway, I'm sure that this season's going to be a fun one with you as the host, best of luck Coolio!

Manager's choice is neat but if you refuse to offer them the choice to pick SMOU you shouldn't have picked SMOU as a tier in the first place, there is nothing that justifies not having a chance to pick an extra SM OU game when you decided it would be a tier of your event. I don't really understand the reasonning behind this, if you don't want SD tiers (which would be a good thing bcs SMOU sucks) then don't pick one at all and add MMO Ubers to fit the 6th tier spot (I don't remember if there are a lot of Ubers but I think Dug and Wobb are banned aren't they ?)

Now to answer you Nik, I think at least 30 players will sign up in SMOU if we keep it as a tier, if not more, you seem to forget Showdown is attractive bcs no grinding involded and the power of Pokemon's newest gens which attract a lot of ppl.

22 hours ago, gbwead said:

Kamimiii Dead Player

The fuck kid ? me is dead ? I've fucking played a Doubles tournament with you 2 days ago fkin dog

4 hours ago, RysPicz said:

As much as I did not want Coolio to host, that much I have to give him: he wants to change this tournament for the better (at least in his opinion).

Someone asked earlier (I'm sorry I can't quote you but typing on phone is a horror for me) why players weren't asked or why there wasn't any thread to discuss the upcoming changes or something like that. Well, that is the thread. Nothing is set in stone just yet. Besides, I think you all are way too harsh. Someone comes up with a bunch of ideas to make the entire tournament more exciting and just gets shit from head to toes. You prefer to complain about something before even trying how it works out, without giving it a chance. I played all PSL seasons this far, I was both manager and player and I see most of these changes for positive. I would honestly prefer the auction too, but snake draft seems more fair and we most likely won't end up with something like last season tangelas or s3 mountain.

I still don't think Coolio is a good pick as a host, but I will be more than happy for him to prove me wrong. 

I don't understand why you don't want Coolio to host when he's clearly less braindamaged than every single host we've had since approximately 11 PSLs.

The only 2 things that I find ugly in this PSL 11 introduction are :

1) A snake draft really is a shame, gambling your money on someone you trust to help in several tier and managing to find breakout players for 2 credits is more than a strategy, it's art. Not only that but a snake draft could really put some managers at a disadvantage (I dont think there are 8 guys that could be considered S tier players in PokeMMO right now, which means there will be a huge disparity between the teams that got the first picks in the draft and the teams that are picking last), back then we've had a few 2 rounds snake drafts before the auction began, and it was already a bit unbalanced even if it was PokeMMO's golden age. I highly doubt there are enough players in our current community to fit the role of captain/scouter/all tiers teambuilder/all tiers player to make snake draft a balanced choice. Now obviously I don't believe that it would have a huge impact on the PSL itself, but even if it impacts 1 game per week it's already huge. The value of S tier players should not be underestimated and if I were manager I'd buy a Gbwead/Frags/Axoa for 40 credits every season, without any doubt.

Leaving the choice to gamble on whoever managers think are the best assets for their team is what makes PSL good in my opinion, and based on my own experience, almost every motivated unknown player I've had in my PSL team evolved from total random to break out player or almost break out player (supp Nahwel, Lotus, villa, ...) because they practiced/learned/played with people like Gbwead (only mentionning him because I've played 75% of my PSLs by his side but hi Axoa/Yub/Kril/Guerinf/Forf etc etc). Not only do they take part in making new players grow incredibly fast, but I've witnessed big players become even stronger, like Aerun, who litterally shat on everyone during PSL X and WorldCup, now, people are going to say it might not be because of Gb's presence, but after watching them talking teambuild and training for hours, it's definitely something that impacted Aerun's regularity during those last 2 events.

2) Snake draft will lead to some players being denied from other teams, even if the manager doesn't need them, I think some players will get picked and benched whole season, and be denied not only the opportunity to have fun but the prizepool with the idea you came up with of splitting prizepool accordingly to the player's participation in the team victories.

It's the scariest point, and might be the biggest drawback of a snake draft even with everything that I've said above.

Edited by Kamimiii
23 minutes ago, Kamimiii said:

Nahwel offering coaching wtf is this real life ? Since when do you pay to get coached by a peanut ?

pls im too good, at least here because all the others are too bad

Edited by Nawe
"best players" of pokemmo dont mean that they are good hehe
1 hour ago, Kamimiii said:

Manager's choice is neat but if you refuse to offer them the choice to pick SMOU you shouldn't have picked SMOU as a tier in the first place, there is nothing that justifies not having a chance to pick an extra SM OU game when you decided it would be a tier of your event. I don't really understand the reasonning behind this, if you don't want SD tiers (which would be a good thing bcs SMOU sucks) then don't pick one at all and add MMO Ubers to fit the 6th tier spot (I don't remember if there are a lot of Ubers but I think Dug and Wobb are banned aren't they ?)

it wasn't about wanting/not wanting a SD tier, I simply didn't think it would have the depth to make it a Manager's Choice Tier. If im wrong and a bunch of people sign up to play SMOU it can be changed and added as a choice before the draft.

The only 2 things that I find ugly in this PSL 11 introduction are :

1) A snake draft really is a shame, gambling your money on someone you trust to help in several tier and managing to find breakout players for 2 credits is more than a strategy, it's art. Not only that but a snake draft could really put some managers at a disadvantage (I dont think there are 8 guys that could be considered S tier players in PokeMMO right now, which means there will be a huge disparity between the teams that got the first picks in the draft and the teams that are picking last), back then we've had a few 2 rounds snake drafts before the auction began, and it was already a bit unbalanced even if it was PokeMMO's golden age. I highly doubt there are enough players in our current community to fit the role of captain/scouter/all tiers teambuilder/all tiers player to make snake draft a balanced choice. Now obviously I don't believe that it would have a huge impact on the PSL itself, but even if it impacts 1 game per week it's already huge. The value of S tier players should not be underestimated and if I were manager I'd buy a Gbwead/Frags/Axoa for 40 credits every season, without any doubt.

Leaving the choice to gamble on whoever managers think are the best assets for their team is what makes PSL good in my opinion, and based on my own experience, almost every motivated unknown player I've had in my PSL team evolved from total random to break out player or almost break out player (supp Nahwel, Lotus, villa, ...) because they practiced/learned/played with people like Gbwead (only mentionning him because I've played 75% of my PSLs by his side but hi Axoa/Yub/Kril/Guerinf/Forf etc etc). Not only do they take part in making new players grow incredibly fast, but I've witnessed big players become even stronger, like Aerun, who litterally shat on everyone during PSL X and WorldCup, now, people are going to say it might not be because of Gb's presence, but after watching them talking teambuild and training for hours, it's definitely something that impacted Aerun's regularity during those last 2 events.

2) Snake draft will lead to some players being denied from other teams, even if the manager doesn't need them, I think some players will get picked and benched whole season, and be denied not only the opportunity to have fun but the prizepool with the idea you came up with of splitting prizepool accordingly to the player's participation in the team victories.

It's the scariest point, and might be the biggest drawback of a snake draft even with everything that I've said above.

Manager's can still gamble on undervalued players and find breakout players with later picks. No there aren't eight Frags out there, but I do think there are at least, if not more, eight top tier players who can go toe to toe with each other in their respective tiers. In terms of being able to team build sure some players might be better than others but the same problem exists when managers don't play. When you have eight top tier managers the gap is knowledge is relatively smaller. 

Yes not everyone who signs up will get to play. Yes some players may be benched the whole season and not get to play. This is again no different to having an auction.

As for the prize I don't see why someone who didn't play a game should get the same share of prize money as some one who won every game. I get its a team thing, and they can still say they were on the winning team, they just wouldn't get the physical reward. Some players put a lot of time and effort into making comps each week and I think the prize distribution reflects that. If a team or player wants to share their prize with someone else in the team they can. 

41 minutes ago, DaftCoolio said:

As for the prize I don't see why someone who didn't play a game should get the same share of prize money as some one who won every game. I get its a team thing, and they can still say they were on the winning team, they just wouldn't get the physical reward. Some players put a lot of time and effort into making comps each week and I think the prize distribution reflects that. If a team or player wants to share their prize with someone else in the team they can. 

So what your saying is, if you don't want someone to be getting a prize this season to buy them and then never play them?

Now to answer you Nik, I think at least 30 players will sign up in SMOU if we keep it as a tier, if not more, you seem to forget Showdown is attractive bcs no grinding involded and the power of Pokemon's newest gens which attract a lot of ppl.

I do get that showdown is attractive and that there's a lot less grinding involved in it, but I'm assuming that most of the playerbase that signs up for PSL are going to be ones that play PokeMMO. And if they play PokeMMO often, it's because they're not that experienced in SM OU / later gens. There's definitely a lot more resources to help one learn a new gen easier, but I don't know if the current playerbase knows SM OU well enough or are willing to put in the effort to know it. I could be wrong. 

50 minutes ago, Munya said:

So what your saying is, if you don't want someone to be getting a prize this season to buy them and then never play them?

Yes munya, just like how you could buy an entire team of players you don’t like in an auction and purposely lose every game just to spite them. Glad we’re talking about realistic situations that totally happen 

Just now, Munya said:

Purchasing a whole team of players to spite is a lot less likely than purchasing a single individual to spite

Why? If you’re gonna abuse your manager power and potentially tank your entire season, might as well hit multiple targets. I’d argue it’s far more likely to happen. Add to that the fact that your wimpy scenario could also happen in an auction. Tsk tsk

1 minute ago, Gunthug said:

Why? If you’re gonna abuse your manager power and potentially tank your entire season, might as well hit multiple targets. I’d argue it’s far more likely to happen. Add to that the fact that your wimpy scenario could also happen in an auction. Tsk tsk

i think hes making a point about the prize distribution and not the draft

1 minute ago, Gunthug said:

I think its precisely because its an auction its less likely to happen for a whole team, unless for whatever awful reason nobody spends anything.

6 hours ago, Kamimiii said:

RIP me. 

I'm excited to see this play out. I'm not a fan of the snake draft idea over an auction either since an auction always involves a lot of pre-season hype at any competitive league as well as has fairer player spreads, but I'd be interested in seeing it play out if it does end up happening. But yeah, I think it'd be unfair to bench a player all season and there should be some sort of rule against it tbh, especially since prize distribution in a team will be dependent on a player's performance throughout the league. If a manager doesn't play you and your team does amazing, not only do you not win anything, but you'll probably have had the shittiest PSL experience ever, which would suck if you were excited for it. Might even kill the competitive fire in a player who loves PvP...

4 hours ago, Kamimiii said:

120m iirc

Why does it matter to you ? I need to remind you that the amount you get is based on the amount of victories you bring to the team, you're not concerned by that

4 hours ago, SteveDerBaum said:

So 0$ basically

Cpt. Obvious here guys

also if following the past trend this season should be a good one for me

i seem to do well in odd numbered ones

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.