[PSL XI] PokeMMO Super League Season 11 General Thread

14 hours ago, gbwead said:

I don't have to prove anything if the only person that bothers disagreeing with me is an inactive player. Find active MMO players that want to play the same showdown tier over an MMO tier and then we'll talk.

Im actually kind of hyped about SMOU and know plenty of other players who also are.

Obviously I wanted dpp to stay but to GB’s credit, this is a pokemmo competition and I do think it’s important to keep things related to our own meta if we can. This game has pretty much blown right by gen 4 so it’s hard to say dpp fits that bill. Sm ou, on the other hand, represents the horizon and shares a lot of good mechanics that mmo has updated. 

Its also a very accessible meta with a ton of resources for newer players. I think there will be some high quality matches for sure

18 hours ago, Linken said:

Also why can't managers choose showdown tiers?

My guess would be that, based on the fact that Coolio has chosen to not host an auction in favour of a snake draft and the balance in talent distribution that it offers, it is because there’s such a proportinally-minute population of active showdown players that there’s likely to be a few managers who don’t draft anyone of note. As a result, it would be easy for the opposing manager(s) who drafted one or more of the good showdown players to essentially claim a free win in that slot by choosing a showdown tier, thereby undermining the higher competitive standard that these rule changes are pursuing

E: inb4 this has nothing to do with it, but I agree with the idea because of these reasons anyway

Edited by Zymogen
3 minutes ago, Zymogen said:

My guess would be that, based on the fact that Coolio has chosen to not host an auction in favour of a snake draft and the balance in talent distribution that it offers, it is because there’s such a proportinally-minute population of active showdown players that there’s likely to be a few managers who don’t draft anyone of note. As a result, it would be easy for the opposing manager(s) who drafted one or more of the good showdown players to essentially claim a free win in that slot by choosing a showdown tier, thereby undermining the higher competitive standard that these rule changes are pursuing

That's a problem regardless if it's auction or draft. 

19 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

That's a problem regardless if it's auction or draft. 

With all respect I’m not sure what you’re referring to. If you’re referring to the point about some teams not having good showdown players, I wasn’t claiming otherwise. Having said that, the sole argument supporting the use of a snake draft instead of an auction has so far been to avoid exactly this by creating more evenly balanced teams. I was just saying that allowing managers to pick showdown tiers each week would perpetuate the problem that a snake draft is apparently going to attenuate. 

54 minutes ago, Zymogen said:

With all respect I’m not sure what you’re referring to. If you’re referring to the point about some teams not having good showdown players, I wasn’t claiming otherwise. Having said that, the sole argument supporting the use of a snake draft instead of an auction has so far been to avoid exactly this by creating more evenly balanced teams. I was just saying that allowing managers to pick showdown tiers each week would perpetuate the problem that a snake draft is apparently going to attenuate. 

By reading the opening of your post it just seemed you were attacking the snake draft system more so than allowing managers to choose tiers. I agree that the tier that manages choose shouldn't be showdown for the reason you stated.

As much as I did not want Coolio to host, that much I have to give him: he wants to change this tournament for the better (at least in his opinion).

Someone asked earlier (I'm sorry I can't quote you but typing on phone is a horror for me) why players weren't asked or why there wasn't any thread to discuss the upcoming changes or something like that. Well, that is the thread. Nothing is set in stone just yet. Besides, I think you all are way too harsh. Someone comes up with a bunch of ideas to make the entire tournament more exciting and just gets shit from head to toes. You prefer to complain about something before even trying how it works out, without giving it a chance. I played all PSL seasons this far, I was both manager and player and I see most of these changes for positive. I would honestly prefer the auction too, but snake draft seems more fair and we most likely won't end up with something like last season tangelas or s3 mountain.

I still don't think Coolio is a good pick as a host, but I will be more than happy for him to prove me wrong. 

Edited by RysPicz
I embarris.
19 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

By reading the opening of your post it just seemed you were attacking the snake draft system more so than allowing managers to choose tiers. I agree that the tier that manages choose shouldn't be showdown for the reason you stated.

No no, that was a genuine acknowledgement of the benefits of a snake draft haha. Any untoward connotations are unintentional

Snake draft imo makes the teams more balanced and gives the event more difficulty, there will be less easier teams to face. 

The idea of managers being able to play is nice for a change and changes many things. A polyvalent manager now would be able to fix any flaw in the team if the draft wasn't successful by playing the tier that lacks dedicated players, and that is a pro.

I think the #4 and #5 managers will mainly have the advantage of always drafting in the middle of the round, which gives them more chances of drafting more available players than other managers if I'm not wrong. Since the draft order will be random so it will come down to luck and it's still fair imo.

18 minutes ago, FNTCZ said:

2 rounds of draft (snake) then auction pls

Gotta please everyone r-right?

Edit: I think I prefer the other way around, just noticed. Cause I think snake is just less fair in the first rounds, then is ok

Edited by pachima
3 hours ago, Linken said:

i'm not dead, at best/worst i'm undead

also why can't managers choose showdown tiers?

pretty much what zymogen said, there isn't the depth

1 hour ago, gbwead said:

Draft is fine in theory, but the issue is the draft order and, since there is no fair way to determine the order, draft for PSL is shit. Auction plz. 

a random order is fair, no one manager has a better or worse chance at receiving a certain pick. I did think about a manager's tour for the order, but that would depend if they all felt comfortable playing a specific tier. I don't mind leaving this up to the managers' themselves. If all eight managers want to do a tour for the order and can agree on one tier we can do it that way.

33 minutes ago, pachima said:

Gotta please everyone r-right?

r-rong

2 minutes ago, DaftCoolio said:

a random order is fair, no one manager has a better or worse chance at receiving a certain pick. I did think about a manager's tour for the order, but that would depend if they all felt comfortable playing a specific tier. I don't mind leaving this up to the managers' themselves. If all eight managers want to do a tour for the order and can agree on one tier we can do it that way.

You pick managers, so it's up to you. Pick managers that want a manager tour, ez.

1 minute ago, calidubstep said:

If there’s a manager tour where the worst out of the 8 gets last pick doesn’t that make that persons team worse 

It's actually a common misconception about snake drafts that last pick is the worst. In an 8 team league especially, last pick is just fine. Personally, I wouldn't want one of the top couple picks just because your second pick will be 15th or 16th. Middle picks are probably ideal but the difference between the picks is far far less than the difference between a lot of uncontrolled variables in an auction, so I'd still call it a huge improvement

38 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

. In an 8 team league especially, last pick is just fine. Personally, I wouldn't want one of the top couple picks just because your second pick will be 15th or 16th. Middle picks are probably ideal but the difference between the picks is far far less than the difference between a lot of uncontrolled variables in an auction, so I'd still call it a huge improvement

It isnt like that if player pool is small.

And no, we don t have many good players wandering around in the game.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.