Infinite TM Use

GhostTails724

Question

23 answers to this question

Infinite TM use is unhealthy for the economy of an MMO, TM's would effectively become worthless as you would only require one of them (and everyone can easily get one of them via story) so no one would buy or sell TMs anymore.

I am fairly sure this was deliberately kept to being consumable for these reasons. (same reason why you don't get consumable hold items back after duels vs. players unlike in handhelds, such as Focus Sash, Berries, etc).

3 hours ago, Matoka said:

Infinite TM use is unhealthy for the economy of an MMO, TM's would effectively become worthless as you would only require one of them (and everyone can easily get one of them via story) so no one would buy or sell TMs anymore.

I am fairly sure this was deliberately kept to being consumable for these reasons. (same reason why you don't get consumable hold items back after duels vs. players unlike in handhelds, such as Focus Sash, Berries, etc).

Changes such as this really ruin the experience though in my opinion. They should've kept everything relatively the same, the economy is stupid anyway since it's really there just to benefit the devs. They could have made money off of things they actually made instead of making changes to the game itself 

Dude, what are you talking about? One facepalm thread after another.

What do TMs in the GTL have to do with dev money?

They didn't change the game itself, they just decided that the older TM system suits the MMO better.

You do understand what an MMO is? There needs to be progress, things to work towards, gated content. This is PokeMMO, not pokemon handhelds in slightly different. You will face many more changes that may seem odd to you but are (most of the time?) done for a reason, probably economy/battle/difficulty balance.

Edited by Caliginosus
53 minutes ago, MightyBoxer said:

tm70 flash and tm94 rocksmash should be made unlimited.They are alredy HM in kanto and hoenn and unlimited used there.

The only problem I see with this is, it might be confusing to make exception for just these two.

Now, Unova TMs should be reusable. This is a crucial change made in 5 gen that greatly improved both build and exploration experience.

I know this would greatly impact tm economy on the mmo, yet it is an important reflection of power progression over the story progression: the farther you go, the easier it is to build, until everyone reaches a cap.

One thing that could be made as a 50/50 solutions is to make bought TMs consumable while the story TMs remained reusable

Edited by Harmonia2Side
On 12/21/2020 at 9:05 AM, RealMak said:

I believe that the unconsumable TMs would ruin the market. Plus, Dont forget that its an MMO, which means Massivelely Multiplayer Online. 

I see. Guess we can just try and adapt to it, I'll give it a shot and keep playing until getting the hang of managing teams and exploring without infinite tms at my disposal

On 12/21/2020 at 1:09 PM, Quakkz said:

wont happen anyways, but well if you wanna play a handheld experience go play an emulator

Well, there's no need to be that rude. But that's actually an important point: pokemmo's objective is not to bring the original console game's experience to online multiplayer; it is to bring to MMO experience to the pokemon games by building on top of the games we already know. It's a different philosophy that leads to different design choices, and thus the differences we see from the original games.

So, it's understandable that people expecting the classical handheld experience would be shocked or disappointed (as I was). It's a good thing to make that observation clear in discussions like this one, so people can better understand their frustration and make a conscious choice: "do I want this MMO experience? Or I just wanted the console back with lots of people to play with?"

Sorry for the long text people I just had to say that at this point haha