A vanity to honor and remember a treasured player

1 hour ago, Hythalius said:

She probably deserves it but it would create a precedent and it might create tensions now and in the future. I think the staff should not get involved and her memory should only be celebrated by the means of the community.

Exactly this.I don't personally know the player in question, but it would create a precedence that may cause further issues later. Where would the line be drawn? Memories are great things to treasure for a person. Perhaps each of you have something you can already remember them by as is. Having a free vanity would cause any meaning behind it to be lost once other players who do not know the person it is dedicated to start picking it up and it becomes a trendy thing.

I like this idea, but yeah. It'd be something that if they did it for one then everyone's gonna want it done for others should that be the case. 

What about like a place in game where people would go to pay respects or something, where they'd go and interact with it, and it'd read off a script which could be added to as time goes on, and it needs to be updated. That way it wouldnt cause any controversy because people wouldnt need to argue about who does and doesnt deserve it (which rox absolutely does - she was a treasure to the community, and one of the most positive people ive ever met) but yeah, like, it could be updated by staff when a tragedy like this happens and more names could be added, and it'd be like a wall or something, or an object where players could interact with ingame and it'd read off some sort of script which lists the names of the players we want to remember etc.

idk, just a thought I had... Could be cool if something like this could happen

Not a fan of the idea tbh. As beloved as she was, there wouldn't be a particular item to represent her, and it'd set up a precedent that would be really hard to follow through. This is all ignoring the whole limited economic aspect of it and whether it should be untradeable or not.

If you want to remember her forever, name a trick room mon or a Glaceon after her or something and every time you read the name recall all the good times you had with her and her bright personality.

Hey guys.

I don't want to be insensitive here, but I think we must leave emotions at the side. I don't personally see the idea of vanity as a good one.
Imagine that her family, friends in the game, will see her name/nick on the vanity. For some of you, it might be a nice reminder of a person, but for some of them, it will open wounds in hearts. 

If it would be introduced as untradeable vanity, it's still unfair to give to some of the players for free and forcing others to pay. Making it RP, or money-based is a bit disrespectful in my book. 

Making it untradeable would achieve even the worse effect. Players who felt nothing for Rox, would just simply sell it on chats, posts on gtl, etc like other vanities. Do you really want her closest ones to see "wtt rox hat, lf2m"? I wouldn't like it, personally.

I'm saying it as a human being, who had to deal with the loss of a close person. It's devastating for some people to see someone's name or even item that belonged to them. Imagine literally vanity named, or made in honour of someone, I remember what punch in the guts was seeing the name of this person inside our album.

But that's being said, I think you are looking in the wrong place. The memories of those who are not among us are always in our hearts, and that's what counts. You don't need vanity to remember Rox and honour her personality- she tried when she could to help people around, and you can do the same thing. 

One day, when you will catch pokemon in place you used to hunt together at, you will remember her and smile. You don't need vanity for it, as she lives in your heart forever if you cared.

Why not add something to a place like pokemon tower in lavender town for deceased players....

If i remember correctly the upper level has three stones at the end where you could add the names to for example?

It gives people a place to remember and pay respect to the players of our community that lost their lives. 

And it would appease more people then a vanity for sure.

Just an idea ofcourse.

Any comment that critiques this idea in a manner that discourages it will obviously seem somewhat heartless, but suggestions should be viewed in an objective manner where possible, and keeping both of these in mind I do just want to mention the following:

As XelaKerbert mentioned this would create a precedent, it would give people the idea that if anyone who plays pokemmo frequently passes away they should have something created for them as a memorial. As morbid as it is to think about Roxxass is likely not the first person who played PokeMMO regularly and then proceeded to pass away, however no player has received something like this in the past, if only Roxxass were to receive something then it would be special treatment and there would likely be hostility unfairly pointed towards people if they refused to do it for other prominent members of the community if they happen to pass away after this precedent had been set.

And as Bearminator mentioned the existence of this memorial will always be bittersweet, to the people closest to Roxxass seeing people walk around with an item which effectively translates to "Roxxass has died" could bee seen as a painful reminder more than it does a heartwarming gesture, if the item were released in a similar manner to most new cosmetics it would be being monetised which is a whole other moral can of worms, but things like releasing it through the Pokémart's cosmetic section would make it incredibly cheap to obtain and something along these lines should not be a common / borderline worthless item in my opinion.

And lastly because unfortunately the internet is not always a well behaved place this could lead to people trying to get cosmetics dedicated to themselves created while they are still alive, as scummy as it sounds, the only real way this could be prevented is by having to go to such lengths as doing ID checks and asking for certificates of death etc. from the family of the deceased, which is a very tactless request to make but would still necessary to avoid abuse by less savoury people and scammers.

Again, I completely understand that it is saddening to hear words against such a suggestion but my personal opinion is that if you wish to commemorate a person's passing you should do it in an organic manner that doesn't really on something like in-game cosmetics, community created events like the tournament currently being organised in my personal opinion are much more sincere to the person as it is the people that knew them in life working together to honour their friends passing rather than putting a vanity item in circulation that will likely be used by more people who have no idea who Roxxass was at all compared to the people that actually knew them while they were still around.

4 hours ago, Bearminator said:

Hey guys.

I don't want to be insensitive here, but I think we must leave emotions at the side. I don't personally see the idea of vanity as a good one.
Imagine that her family, friends in the game, will see her name/nick on the vanity. For some of you, it might be a nice reminder of a person, but for some of them, it will open wounds in hearts. 

If it would be introduced as untradeable vanity, it's still unfair to give to some of the players for free and forcing others to pay. Making it RP, or money-based is a bit disrespectful in my book. 

Making it untradeable would achieve even the worse effect. Players who felt nothing for Rox, would just simply sell it on chats, posts on gtl, etc like other vanities. Do you really want her closest ones to see "wtt rox hat, lf2m"? I wouldn't like it, personally.

I'm saying it as a human being, who had to deal with the loss of a close person. It's devastating for some people to see someone's name or even item that belonged to them. Imagine literally vanity named, or made in honour of someone, I remember what punch in the guts was seeing the name of this person inside our album.

But that's being said, I think you are looking in the wrong place. The memories of those who are not among us are always in our hearts, and that's what counts. You don't need vanity to remember Rox and honour her personality- she tried when she could to help people around, and you can do the same thing. 

One day, when you will catch pokemon in place you used to hunt together at, you will remember her and smile. You don't need vanity for it, as she lives in your heart forever if you cared.

43 minutes ago, Matoka said:

Any comment that critiques this idea in a manner that discourages it will obviously seem somewhat heartless, but suggestions should be viewed in an objective manner where possible, and keeping both of these in mind I do just want to mention the following:

As XelaKerbert mentioned this would create a precedent, it would give people the idea that if anyone who plays pokemmo frequently passes away they should have something created for them as a memorial. As morbid as it is to think about Roxxass is likely not the first person who played PokeMMO regularly and then proceeded to pass away, however no player has received something like this in the past, if only Roxxass were to receive something then it would be special treatment and there would likely be hostility unfairly pointed towards people if they refused to do it for other prominent members of the community if they happen to pass away after this precedent had been set.

And as Bearminator mentioned the existence of this memorial will always be bittersweet, to the people closest to Roxxass seeing people walk around with an item which effectively translates to "Roxxass has died" could bee seen as a painful reminder more than it does a heartwarming gesture, if the item were released in a similar manner to most new cosmetics it would be being monetised which is a whole other moral can of worms, but things like releasing it through the Pokémart's cosmetic section would make it incredibly cheap to obtain and something along these lines should not be a common / borderline worthless item in my opinion.

And lastly because unfortunately the internet is not always a well behaved place this could lead to people trying to get cosmetics dedicated to themselves created while they are still alive, as scummy as it sounds, the only real way this could be prevented is by having to go to such lengths as doing ID checks and asking for certificates of death etc. from the family of the deceased, which is a very tactless request to make but would still necessary to avoid abuse by less savoury people and scammers.

Again, I completely understand that it is saddening to hear words against such a suggestion but my personal opinion is that if you wish to commemorate a person's passing you should do it in an organic manner that doesn't really on something like in-game cosmetics, community created events like the tournament currently being organised in my personal opinion are much more sincere to the person as it is the people that knew them in life working together to honour their friends passing rather than putting a vanity item in circulation that will likely be used by more people who have no idea who Roxxass was at all compared to the people that actually knew them while they were still around.

On the Roy Rogers News channel, I decided to make a playlist dedicated to Player Obituaries. I feel that this would be a good way to remember the players that passed away.

As for the Vanity Suggestion, I am sure that Roxxass would not like for us to profit over her memory. However, for anyone that would like to have a grave of her, then my video may be the answer that you're looking for. I consulted with Cali for a good 20 to 30 minutes so I can write a descriptive obituary for Roxxass (and I almost cried in the middle of the video).

Spoiler

If you want to have a physical object in game to remember her, then I have a suggestion. Catch an Eevee at Route 116 in Hoenn and train it at the Special Room in Twist Mountain in Unova. Your Eevee will evolve into a Glaceon which is her favourite pokemon.

Before I taped the obituary, there was a wild horde of Cubchoo that I encountered. I caught the one Cubchoo that used Endure and nicknamed it "Roxxass" in her memory.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a message for Sociopaths:

Spoiler

Do not tell me about a death that did not happen. If you do this, then I will remove the obituary video because this playlist is not a joke. I want this playlist to be PokeMMO's Graveyard and if you pass away one day, then I may have reservations in making an obituary for you because of the heartless attempt of lying to me about a fake death.

First off, thank you guys for all this discussion. I'll admit that the post did come from an emotional place and I just thought it'd be a good idea, didn't actually stop and consider the possible negative effects of it. And don't worry, I don't think any of the discussion sounds insensitive or or heartless, it was all very valid. I do agree with every single argument made against the suggestion here and would like to retract this suggestion and have it deleted/archived. 

I read a few comments before I went to work and was going to quote some of them and reply, but I guess the discussion thus far has led to a consensus. I'm very sorry to all the people my suggestion rubbed the wrong way or any arguments this caused. 

Thank you again for all your input and I'm sorry to everyone whose comments got deleted, some of them were really nice but weren't related to the discussion or adding anything to it, and I guess that's why they got deleted. 

The memories people have with and of her should be enough to remember and treasure everything they love about her ^_^

Edited by Dibz
7 hours ago, Bearminator said: