Building a Sun team for OU

Thanks for the good laugh, and oh believe me, it's not just me or zymo. You became kind of a meme, for the comp community. 

That aside, 

Another cool gimmick I've been experimenting with on my alt, is darm lead with zoroark, zoroark gets flamethrower as stab so he can take some value from sun, also mixed with sucker punch is pretty cool, and wallbreaks almost everything on the meta with some exceptions. 

Also there's a few pretty cool revenge killers,

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 72-86 (57.1 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Cloyster Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 58-69 (27.3 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage

Even if you drain punch on his icicle spear, he has 7% chance to take you out, and you 1hit guaranteed.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 51-61 (40.4 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
arguably not as good, but depending on the chip damage he has, can be cool.

Viable tier walls for cloyster,
+2 252 Atk Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 65-80 (32.3 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage
+2 252 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 45-60 (22.3 - 29.8%) -- approx. 68.5% chance to 3HKO after burn damage

haze removes the threat of his setup.

Thorn is a given.

From those, milotic could be cool, you could even go gimmicky and pack hp fire, under the sun, it's guaranteed a 1hko, as well as threatning some checks, like magnezone.

You can also lead lucario, so many options, some more viable than others, some very gimmick, some that usually aren't played as lead, but they get the job done.

__

This aside, biggest flaw imo about sun teams is that they're very one dimensional, and dont have a big boy fire kabutops anywhere, or a wall breaker like excadrill that melts a good portion of the meta even without setup (both tops and exca, tops even without SD, 2hkos the entire meta iirc), and the sun setter is a bit fragile, compared to big boy hippo, ttar or pelipper.

Edited by razimove

I started to test the team, i'm currently using:
Torkoal/Whimsicott as leads
Exeggutor (I'm thinking to switch Psychic with Psyshock to take out Chanseys/Blisseys in 2 turns, sacrificing 15 base power)
Arcanine (I still don't have a good Darmanitan, but Arcanine is performing really well, and has also access to ExtremeSpeed)
Volcarona (excellent special sweeper, maybe I'll test also Chandelure later on)

Scarfed Togekiss to outspeed opponent sweepers (and of course with flamethrower to benefit from sun boost)

This team is performing really well, I didn't made so many matches, but I often ended up winning in a couple of minutes against teams made mostly of OU mons.
I'll keep testing it to check the most critical weaknesses.

so ive been using a sun team recently so i thought id weigh in here.

im going to post my team to help you understand my thought process.

its not the best team but its actually been doing pretty well and has managed to beat sand and rain teams.

hopefully this helps you or anyone when building their own sun team

first and the most obvious is Torkoal

my nature and moveset i think is pretty standard

bold 252 hp/ 252 def

-lava plume

-stealth rock

-yawn

-rapid spin

at one point i was using an impish flygon with defog to come in on tyranitar so i experimented with replacing rapid spin with explosion.

but tbh i didnt quite like explosion much

for my special sun abuser i used either exeggutor or victreebel

exeggutor

timid 252 sp atk 252 speed

-psyshock

-giga drain

-solar beam

hp fire

i went timid nature since some popular scarf pokemon outspeed modest nature in the sun

sometimes i miss that added power of modest because blissey and chansey are extra thicc, but since everyone expects modest i can sometimes get them to switch.

i noticed you are using ancient power and i have very much considered it and in some situations i wish i had it, also that chance for a boost is nice.

i have both solar beam and giga because with opposing weather solar beam alone isnt as reliable 

my physical sun abuser is sawsbuck

sawsbuck

adamant 252 atk 252 speed

-horn leech

-return

-jump kick

-swords dance

i read someone had mentioned no comparable sun pokemon to excadrill and kabutops, but this is definitely it.

this set is pretty scary to be on the other side of 

Crobat

Naive 252 atk 252 speed, holding flying gem

-acrobatics

-uturn

-heat wave

-taunt

this is my spin on the standard crobat set

i use this to switch in on fighting moves

and i have heat wave to get some surprise kills on ferrothorn, magnezone and scizor. and its boosted in sun so thats a plus

acro with gem also does a good amount of damage on anything that switches in

magneton

timid 252 sp atk 252 speed

holding eviolite

-t bolt

-flash cannon

-hp fire

-metal sound

this magneton is solely to get rid of scizor who is a big threat to my sun sweepers with bullet punch

eviolite gives it some added bulk and timid nature allows me to outspeed certain pokemon and i can bluff a choice item

metal sound comes in handy sometimes but volt switch might be better

lanturn

calm 252 hp 252 sp def

-volt switch

-scald

-heal bell

-toxic

pretty standard set, the main reason this is here is for togekiss and to have something for hydreigon

it doesnt really do well against hydreigon but it allows me to switch in a couple times and try and get one of my sun sweepers in and scare it off

this teams has some flaws but it wins enough for me to keep using it in match making

i really recommend some hazard control as rocks will ruin torkoals day

i dont really know what else to add but if yo want some more help id be glad to give more input

@Kipp skarmory walls that sawsbuck set, thorn can be threatning too, since jump kick wont 1hko, and gyro is gonna be a pretty cool chip damage, not to mention, cofagrigus can maybe also wall, and mandibuzz. Really its not comparable with tops, that has a priority move, 2 strong stabs and access to superpower. Not to mention he takes huge chips from priority moves i.e. bullet punch from cband scizor, which exca kinda deals somewhat well, and tops has superior speed with aqua jet.

Edit: just calc'ed thorn out of curiosity, with rocks+ high roll, you 1hit, you lose with average roll and LO+iron barbs with gyro ball.

Edited by razimove
5 hours ago, razimove said:

@Kipp skarmory walls that sawsbuck set, thorn can be threatning too, since jump kick wont 1hko, and gyro is gonna be a pretty cool chip damage, not to mention, cofagrigus can maybe also wall, and mandibuzz. Really its not comparable with tops, that has a priority move, 2 strong stabs and access to superpower. Not to mention he takes huge chips from priority moves i.e. bullet punch from cband scizor, which exca kinda deals somewhat well, and tops has superior speed with aqua jet.

Edit: just calc'ed thorn out of curiosity, with rocks+ high roll, you 1hit, you lose with average roll and LO+iron barbs with gyro ball.

yep, all that is true and while it isnt a direct comparison its as good as it will get.

you really have to play around things with sun, it isnt as easy to use as the other weather options which is why it isnt as popular

like i mentioned, scizor was a BIG threat which is why i was forced to add magneton.

magneton aslo deals with ferrothorn and skarmory since shed shell isnt that common

cofagrigus is also the reason i run both giga drain and solar beam on my exeggutor

i dont see many mandibuzz when i play this team but it is annoying when i do see it which is one of the situations i find myself in where i wish i had ancient power on exeggutor

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 1:53 PM, jfk said:

Now after all of this being said, I do not want to discourage you, but given that most of these mons can be played in UU, you might want to consider switching tiers to have much more success using sun.

Even though I was having fun with the OU team, I decided to switch to UU. I've came up with this team:

Spoiler

torkoal.png

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)

- Lava Plume

- Stealth Rock

- Toxic

- Rapid Spin

whimsicott.png

Whimsicott @ Heat Rock

252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SDef

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Sunny Day

- Memento

- Defog

- Leech Seed

exeggutor.png
Exeggutor @ Expert Belt
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 54 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Solar Beam
- AncientPower
- Hidden Power [Fire]

typhlosion.png

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Trait: Blaze

EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Eruption
- Flamethrower (or Fire Blast?)
- Solar Beam
- Extrasensory (Hidden Power [Rock]?)

flygon.png
Flygon @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 Atk / 6 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- U-Turn

> Torkoal: I gave up on Solar Beam as suggested, and replaced it with Stealth Rocks.
> Whimsicott: I replaced Encore with Leech Seed since Encore is difficult to use, even when used against a boosting Pokémon, 3 turns aren't enough to switch and K.O. him.
> Exeggutor: I replaced Psychic with Psyshock.

> Typhlosion is a must in UU, Eruption under the sun, with Choice Specs and Modest nature is devastating at full health. However, I'm in doubt if replacing Flamethrower with Fire Blast or not... the same for Extrasensory, with Hidden Power Rock. What would you suggest me?
> Flygon is there to outspeed almost everything, with Jolly Nature and Choice Scarf; Fire Punch is nice under the Sun.

I still have to replace Arcanine, which is OU, with a UU physical fire sweeper. I was thinking to replace him with Blaziken (that takes neutral damage from Stealth Rocks), do you think he will fit well with this team? What moveset would you suggest me? Are there any other good physical fire sweepers?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Trial4life
  • 4 weeks later...