Player Titles

Zymogen

Question

22 answers to this question

I was talking with @Dibz about stuff like this the other day. My Ideas were more along the lines of achievements though with the possibility of small rewards (like completing dex really should have a reward, JUST SAYIN)  Maybe having a second tab to the trainer card that could have "badges" for achieving certain things in game. Harder achievements to complete could award players with a new untradeable vanity or something that could only be obtained by completing the achievement. I think, like you said, its one of those things that "...could be good but would never be a priority" but it is worth putting it out there. What I am talking about it a little different than what you're saying but I felt like adding on, lol.

2 hours ago, Unmerciful said:

I played world of warcraft 10 years of my life, I know how it works, I support the idea even though between world of warcraft and this game there is a big difference :)

As did I, but despite the significant difference between the two games and how they are played, the functionality of player titles would be exactly the same

Edited by Zymogen

I always thought that for the pvp, they could have made seasons with the ranking, which could last from 2/3 months at most to then reset each time, and as a first prize put a title like that, Champion, Or Gladiator like world of warcraft and not only, to better incentivize from the first place to the fifth place other prizes, example: end of season first price OU = A Shiny comp, Second price chosen by you, your third and fourth prize choice. Instead of doing tournaments exclusively, the OU ladder is undervalued, and these I believe would be the best ways to encourage her to play more Ranked.

I used to play Guild Wars II and I have to say player titles would be a great feature ! 

However I'm not sure if titles displayed under one's name would look good in PokeMMO

That's mainly because names are already really massive compared to character's size IMO

31 minutes ago, TohnR said:

I used to play Guild Wars II and I have to say player titles would be a great feature ! 

However I'm not sure if titles displayed under one's name would look good in PokeMMO

That's mainly because names are already really massive compared to character's size IMO

I definitely think that displaying the titles beneath the names like this:

Spoiler

5816ed19fa3dbd76b957a9bb768a5961.png

Would be better than: 

Spoiler

[RISÉ] Zymogen, The King of Chokes

(cba to do another epic edit but you can imagine how long the name would be)

That's one thing I was concerned about when writing this, though. The titles could be swamped out in crowded areas. The size of the title text would need to be scaled down relative to how many characters long it is, or maybe we'd be able to make titles a customisable colour to help them stand out from all the other white text. It's a tough one. 

Edited by Zymogen
26 minutes ago, TohnR said:

I agree

The titles should come alongside a change in how the player names are shown in game.

If a mouse-hover tooltip (such as runescape) could be implemented instead of permanent names over the head, I think that would clear a lot of the clutter.

Agreed.

Titles are VERY canon in the handheld games anyways. Every NPC aside yourself has a title. Ace Trainer, Cooltrainer, Pokemaniac.

So even if you want to steer away from 'regular mmo' gameplay like classes and skill trees, and be more 'pokemon' instead.

This suggestion hits a sweet spot.

Maybe you could get them from meeting in-game conditions and they be entirely vanity, I think that would be good. Like, beating Blaine 3x would net you "Red Hot Challenger" and Misty might be "Eternal Blue" or something. Catching more than one shiny could be "Limited Edition". They'd be like achievements kinda.

Edited by KittoKatsu