Jump to content
Michelle

Forum Images Problem?

Recommended Posts

I recently had my avatar reset, and all my forum posts with images have become broken links.

Why did this happen, and how do I post images?

Share this post


Link to post

To post images you will need to use a whitelisted image hosting site to host your images such as Imgur. Attempting to link directly to images does not work anymore.

Share this post


Link to post

Now I've got to find the time to update all of my custom GUI theme posts, as well as remake 15+ images that don't seem to be properly linked to anymore..

 

Might I ask why this change was made? It's not like anyone couldn't upload anything to imgur.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Michelle said:

Now I've got to find the time to update all of my custom GUI theme posts, as well as remake 15+ images that don't seem to be properly linked to anymore..

 

Might I ask why this change was made? It's not like anyone couldn't upload anything to imgur.

if you link a image in the forums, behind the scenes you are asking the hosting site for that image from your ip address. someone was using this to self host images and get ip address of people on the forums by only showing them to certain people. a white list is the only way around this.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

if you link a image in the forums, behind the scenes you are asking the hosting site for that image from your ip address. someone was using this to self host images and get ip address of people on the forums by only showing them to certain people. a white list is the only way around this.

If that's the case, I'd like to suggest adding a few more image hosting sites to the whitelist, if not all of the well known ones. Seems like I'm being punished for loopholes exploited by someone/loopholes left open by the forum hosts.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

If that's the case, I'd like to suggest adding a few more image hosting sites to the whitelist, if not all of the well known ones. Seems like I'm being punished for loopholes exploited by someone/loopholes left open by the forum hosts.

Trust me, you'd feel and be way more "punished" if that security breach got to you and your account. I have no idea if or where this is going to be fully fixed, but that measure was completely necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Edniss said:

Trust me, you'd feel and be way more "punished" if that security breach got to you and your account. I have no idea if or where this is going to be fully fixed, but that measure was completely necessary.

Not sure what the quotes are for when my point is totally fair. If hypothetically I were to have clicked a link that lead to such things, that would be in-part my fault. In this case, none of these circumstances are my fault but I will seemingly have to put hours into rectifying it. If Tinypic could be added into the whitelist, most of my images are hosted there, and I would greatly appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/6/2019 at 10:21 AM, Desu said:

Tinypic added, but no guarantee all of their subdomains work.

Would it be possible to have bulbagarden.net whitelisted? I wouldn't want this guide

And the other compendiums to go to waste.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.