Lunar Event Strategy

I've played through the event and have found a couple of patterns and some tips & tricks that will for sure help you get a higher score:

1) The Pokemon in each wave follow the pattern of the chinese calender and the mons in each wave correlate to a certain year(Ex: Ox = Tauros, Miltank. Goat: Mareep, Flaffy).

So for example, if one wave has mons like Arbok and Onix, the next wave will have mons such as Rapidash and Girafarig.

2) Starting at ~Wave 6, instead of only fighting one pokemon whether it's solo or duo, 2 Pokemon will appear should you double up. So at that point, it's best to solo the wave pokemon that you have the type advantage over instead of trying to double on them.

3) Starting Wave 2, if you're in duo battle and don't manage to knock out the pokemon you're fighting against, it will call for help(like in Sun and Moon) and you'll have another pokemon to battle. This makes it more tedious after wave 4, because not only do you have to face 2 pokemon, but when you beat one and don't kill the other, it'll call for help.

4) You can only change into Pokemon at the shrine that you've already defeated(with the exception of Entei). So if you defeat an Electivire in the wave, you can go to the shrine and turn into an Electivire. And you can only do so once, then you have to beat the pokemon again for subsequent transformations.

5) Every few waves, there will be a red bag that appears in certain spots on the map. What the bag does is that it gives you 1-2 lives back and also evolves your pokemon and restores their pp. So if you have a Dragonair and your buddy is a Growlithe, grab the bag and you'll both become Dragonite and Arcanine respectively. The best strategy is to only use the bags in the event of an emergency or when you're about to battle entei. And be sure to be pokemon that can evolve, because your pp will not restore if your pokemon is fully evolved.

For example, if you grab the red bag, Growlithe will evolve into Arcanine and restore its PP, however, a Grumpig will not get its PP recovered.

6) The Entei Battle remains the same each time it appears, which consists of an Entei and an Arcanine. Even if you try to solo it, both of them will still appear, so doubling on it is almost not an option. Thankfully, this is the only battle that doesn't involve calling for help

That's all the tips & tricks I have. If anyone has any more or I missed a few, be sure to comment down below.

Edited by BoltBlades12

My tip is that the prizes are linear and not exponential while the difficult of each wave is exponential.  Therefore, its best to just speedrun to one entei then quit.  This can be perfected to be sub 30 minutes and you don't really have to worry about lives or anything.  Speed is better than strategy because of non-scaling prizes.

Edited by Aard

If I may be allowed to recommend a strategy for the Entei-Arcanine duo fight, a Staravia/Staraptor-Houndoom combo can work nicely. Staraptor can provide Intimidate + FeatherDance spam on both opponents, and Houndoom's Snarls can lower their Special Attack while chipping away at both of them. This combo can lose to crits but bad RNG can ruin anytthing, really. Another option can be Staraptor-Tauros or just double Tauros.

Edited by Guest

I have the species in each wave, the starting wave is random, but the pokemon in each one are the same(Note, some species appear in more than one wave)

Pig- Swinub, Piloswine, Mamoswine, Spoink, Grumpig, Mankey, Primeape

Rat- Rattata, Raticate, Pikachu, Raichu, Plusle, Minun

Ox- Tauros, Miltank

Tiger- Elekid, Electabuzz, Electivire, Shinx, Luxio, Luxray

Rabbit- Buneary, Lopunny, Azumarill, Nidoran, Nidorina, Nidoqueen, Nidorino, Nidoking

Dragon- Magikarp, Gyarados, Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard

Snake- Ekans, Arbok, Dunsparce, Onix, Steelix

Horse- Ponyta, Rapidash, Girafarig

Goat- Mareep, Flaffy, Ampharos

Monkey- Chimchar, Monferno, Infernape, Mankey, Primeape

Rooster- Starly, Staravia, Staraptor, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, Torchic, Combusken, Blaziken

Dog- Houndour, Houndoom, Electrike, Manectric, Poochyena, Mightyena, Growlithe, Arcanine

(tell me if I forgot any)

Edited by BoltBlades12

Bouffalant as well

it does not appear as a pokemon u see on the field.Many rounds have random poke that can appear in the battle as allies but u don't see them in the field.

For example tepig and bouffalant.

so I guess there would be 2 category the main ones on the field and some that can appear randomly in the battle as an ally.

And those random pokemon even if you beat them you can not pick them to use.

I learned the patterns but I did not know it was based on Chinese zodiac.Nice info bolt.thanks!

Edited by MightyBoxer

Also a tip for those who happen to choose Charizard and Dragonite vs. Entei and Arcanine. On the 1st turn, have Dragonite use Toxic on Entei while Charizard uses Rock Slide to hopefully make one or both of them flinch, and then Rain Dance on the 2nd turn. (Or 3rd, if you choose to poison Arcanine as well.) In the event that they use Fire-type attacks, the strength will be cut by 1/2. If/when the rain stops, just use Rain Dance again. During the rain, just bombard them with Rock Slide and Aqua Jet/Dragon Breath combos. KO Arcanine 1st, since Entei really isn't strong at all. After that, Entei's a sitting duck. It may even faint on the same or following 2 turns, due to Rock Slide/Aqua Jet/poison damage. :3.