What is a true Pokémon Master?

This is a question that is open to debate since Pokémon existed and there are no correct answers for it, only opinions based on imaginations. Let's put aside all that Smogon, VGC, etc. things for a moment and just talk about PokeMMO.

Any person that gets his/her first Pokémon can be called a Pokémon Trainer.
Any trainer that can understand the nature of Pokémon Universe more than "Water beats Fire, Fire beats Grass heh heh" can be called a Veteran Pokémon Trainer.
But what would define a Pokémon Master?
Is it even only about competition for us? There are people who like to hunt for rare shinies or enjoy other aspects of PokeMMO, those people also deserve respect as much as competitive people do.

I am very curious about how varied are the opinions on this.

I guess it really comes down to what you're trying to do.

If you want to have the strongest and win every battle, then you're the master of that.
If you want to breed the best Pokemon or have the best collection, then you're the master of that.

Personally I love battling, but I love exploring and customizing my own bases and hanging out in my favorite (and most aesthetically pleasing) towns.
So I'm the master of that.

Okay, my serious answer now! ^^

As I see, it's just like in the anime.

You can dream about beating gyms and leagues all over the world or just be a champion in contests, a breeder, a collector, a researcher, whatever you want. Being a pokemon master is much more than understanding comps and stuff, it's aiming to be the best in whatever you chose to do.

Also standing on Vermilion afk

As you mentioned, Trainer and Master two different things. PokeMaster is the player became expert at least one of those topics:

• Shiny Masters! I respect those people who cheat newbies and showoff their difference from peasants. They are the colour of this game.
  • Battle Masters! Even though winners always the one with more luck. Competitive spirit, passion and doing your best and then being champ. This deserves some claps.
  • Challenge Masters! There are maniacs who challenge human limits. Living in safari to have free eggs and shinies to or only using fire-type of pokes bla bla bla. Leave em alone.
  • Sages. Master Of Masters! You can see them AFK'ing at Vermillion. They don't have any interest in mortal desires. They are all retired real champions. (Still with us in this cruel world to protect mortals from Game Masters' wrath with their sharp-tongues and quick-fingers.)