Difficulty of run throughs

SelflovingWhale

Question

I'm going to attempt to tackle the elephant in the room, and put it out there that the run throughs right now are possibly too hard. 

Now i know that this topic has been raised multiple times before and discussed, don't kill me with your pitch forks yet, im posting this due to the constant inflow of posts both on this forum as well as the pokemmo subreddit. Personally, i have no problem with the difficulty of the game, as do most of us who are rather familiar with pokemon games, and the play throughs are definitely doable with a bit of thought and care. However, the fact that there are posts surfacing every 2-3 days about "is this game supposed to be this hard????" poses the issue that Pokemmo is perhaps too hard for a portion of new players. 

My main motivation for suggesting the below changes is because i find it a pity to lose a potential player base. For Pokemmo to grow, my opinion is that the mmo and the majority of its multiplayer elements should be attempt to be accessible to all new (and old players), and the attitude of "git gud" shouldn't be perpetuated lest it creates a toxic environment for new players. If players are giving feedback (constantly) that theyre struggling + some quitting, maybe something should be done to retain these players. 

My suggestion is that there be multiple difficulty levels for players entering the first time. "Easy" can be for players who want to enjoy the mmo with their friends or just experience the unique experience of an online Pokémon multiplayer game. Normal or hard can be the current difficulty, or possibly scaled even harder for extra challenge. For balancing purposes, the normal difficulty can offer the current ingame rewards (items, TMs, Cash), while easy mode can be nerfed hard to give much less cash, and fewer valuable items. 

With the selection of difficulty, players can choose easy to finish regions and gain access to pvp. Understandably, PVP after an easy mode run through would be an incredible jump in knowledge and skill; to this, i have no good solution, but I raise the points that 1) players have greater access throughout the game, whether or not they are good at pvp or not doesn't matter as much as whether they CAN participate in endgame content. 2) Pokemmo can capitalise on greater player retention to stimulate the economy and grow the game. 

Ultimately, these are just some thoughts i have after making the observation that many new players are struggling. My suggestions are by no means perfect, and the input of the rest of yall experienced players on the forum can perhaps come up with a better solution. Given that the chances of this implementation ever becoming fulfilled is close to zero with devs with their hands full with other updates, I suggest that all veterans of the game at least actively help new players struggling in the game. Maybe there'll be that one player who whispers you asking for free ground type pokemon to beat a gym theyre struggling with, please lend a helping hand to new players as you may play a part in growing the playerbase. :) 

5 answers to this question

I already said so, the problem stems from two factors, 1 being the level cap which ain't going anywhere and the other one is the huge gap in levels between normal trainers/wild encounters and boss fights like Gym Leaders, Rivals and Villain team leaders who also have mons with great EVs and TMs. You just can't comfortably level up with the flow of the game and beat these trainers without any grinding or just buying off stuff from GTL.

I allready had and proposed a few idea to solve the issue a while ago but none saw the light of day. The best one in my opinion for what the devs seems to want was a change in the pokemon school to make it actually teach you useful thing like the phisical and special split. That wouldn't make the game actually easier but having people know what they are doing would have made them better instead.

1 hour ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

I allready had and proposed a few idea to solve the issue a while ago but none saw the light of day. The best one in my opinion for what the devs seems to want was a change in the pokemon school to make it actually teach you useful thing like the phisical and special split. That wouldn't make the game actually easier but having people know what they are doing would have made them better instead.

this works indeed, u can give a man a fish and feed it for a day or you teach the man how to fish and he can catch his own fish.

as for the level gaps, i also see this happening, but i dare to call these people lazy to train, because i had no issues myself, all u need is a pitstop now and then to level

42 minutes ago, Nibero said:

this works indeed, u can give a man a fish and feed it for a day or you teach the man how to fish and he can catch his own fish.

as for the level gaps, i also see this happening, but i dare to call these people lazy to train, because i had no issues myself, all u need is a pitstop now and then to level

I just did an unova run with a monotype normal team and only had to train for the e4 and even then i feel like I didn't need it that much beside that i was lacking 2 pokemon to have a full team at that point. 

My best tip for those struggling with lvling up their mon is to not lvl up a full team when they don't need to because it willbe much faster to do it later when they are actually needed.