OU RMT team with decent success (RATE MY TEAM)

jfk

I realize that most RMT`s are made to improve an already working team. While this is definitely true for this team as well, I am hoping that it can serve as a guideline for newer players or players who struggle to build powerful cores to understand the basics of team building a little bit better. This team allowed me to climb from 477 mmr to 666 in just one week, which I find quite pleasing as I just came back to the game. Here is proof of my current ladder rank  https://gyazo.com/6df2de82435c57a2e10b1560a9dbdf4f. Without a doubt, I have not been playing against the best players and my win rate has already been dropping after I got to 630mmr ( I was 20/2 at some point), but I think it is quite apparent that I did not get on the leaderboard because of my skills as a player, but rather due to a powerful team.

Team building process:

The entire idea was to build an offensive team and to abuse Excadrill. Exca has great offensive stats and an amazing ability, which lets it outspeed any scarfer in the game. Further, it has excess to swords dance and decent coverage, as well as a 4x resistance to stealth rock. It cannot be toxic`d, nor can it be paralyzed. Thus, the first member of the team is already found:

530MS.png

To make full use of excadrill, I of course  need sand setters. There are two options: Hippowdon and Tyranitar, as Gigalith is simply outclassed by Tyranitars stats. Hippowdon usually runs only one set, which is a physically defensive one. It is a reliable SR setter, has excess to recovery and can serve as a dedicated lead. The last move differs, some use toxic, others yawn, roar or ice fang. Tyranitar can make effective use of many different sets. It can serve as a dedicated lead and special wall, luring in physical walls and OHKOing with special attacks such as fireblast or ice beam. It can run coice band to serve as a wall breaker or scarf to trap ghost and psychic types. As the entire purpose of my team is to enable an excadrill sweep, I decided to put both Hippowdon and Tyranitar on my team to reliably win the weather war and enable Excadrills sandrush. However, I had not decided on ttars set yet.

530MS.png450MS.png248MS.png

Now that I had decided on the basic strategy of my team, it was time to look at mons that can prevent excadrill from sweeping. The most noteworthy are: ferrothorn, skarmory, gliscor, gyarados, and any fighting priority attack. The hardest counter is by far skarmory, as it can switch into any attack, even after a SD and roost the damage off. Luckily, there is a mon that feeds on steel types: Magnezone. At first I was running a setup set with substitute, HP Ice and charge beam. However, after the third ferrothorn in a row that ran curse, i decided to opt for the classic scarf variant. I do not really understand why u would put curse on a ferro and i dont think many players actually use it, so the setup variant might be better. 

530MS.png450MS.png248MS.png462MS.png

As I just said, fighting types with priority moves are a thread to excadrill. If u look at my team now, 3 out of 4 mons are weak to fighting. The biggest problem is by far Conkeldurr, but lucario can also pose a threat occasionally ( It is just less common; threat level is the same). In the first variant of the team, I opted for reuniculus to fix my fighting weakness. It is very sturdy and able to set up and sweep, overall a very desirable feat to an offensive team like this. However, it is extremely slow and I got outmaneuvered from time to time as its moveset is so predictable. That is why I decided to go with sigilyph as my final choice. Sigilyph takes around 18% from a guts boosted drainpunch from conkeldurr, without any defensive investment. It is fairly fast and has an amazing movepool. And just like reuniculus it has access to magic guard. Its flying type also allows me to switch into ground attack. As you can see above, 3 out of 4 mons are also hit super effectively by ground.

530MS.png450MS.png248MS.png462MS.png561MS.png

For the last mon, I honestly do not really have a nice explanation. Right now I am incredibly weak to water types, but regardless I simply wanted to use it: Breloom. I am currently using the subPunch set and I love it. Sometimes it wins games on its own. Spore is so disruptive, although its usage was definitely more powerful in lower mmr. Some ppl switch ferro into spore, but if it doesnt carry gyroball it cant even beat loom. And if they do, I can switch to magnezone and trap it. so here is the final team:

530MS.png450MS.png248MS.png462MS.png561MS.png286MS.png

As you can see, I followed a clear strategy and build the team simply around excadrill. Another nice feature of this composition is that hazard removal is not really necessary.

Stealth rock: exca 4x resist, hippo 2x resist, ttar normal, magnezone 2x resist, sigylph Immune, breloom 2x resist

Spikes: all normal damage except sygilph

toxic spikes: exca Immune, hippo not immune, ttar not immune, sygilph immune, magnezone immune, breloom immune

Individual Sets:

530MS.png @ Chople Berry

Sand rush

Jolly 4HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed

Earthquake

Swordsdance

Rockslide

Ironhead

I went with Jolly because it allows me to outspeed most other excas, which are adamant. I never really missed the damage to be honest. For the same reason I dont use Life Orb. I am simple no fan of killing my win condition through recoil, making it more susceptible to entry hazard damage and priority attacks. For a while I ran Air balloon, which allowed me to safely switch into opposing excas, but after conkeldurr and its machpunch has been so frustrating to deal with, I decided to use Chople Berry. Chople Berry also allows exca to tank a +2 focus blast from bold reuniculus, quite astonishing isnt it?

450MS.png @ Leftovers

Sand stream

Relaxed 252HP, 252 Def, 4 SPdef

Earthquake

Slack Off

Stealth Rock

Ice Fang

Relaxed is probably sub optimal, impish would be preferred. Apart from that quite standard, I choose ice fang over phasing as the team is fast enough to deal with set ups differently. Ice fang is nice against gliscor and dragon types. This is also my dedicated lead. 

248MS.png@ Choice Scarf

Sand stream

Jolly 4Hp 252Atk 252Speed

Cruch

Pursuit

Superpower

Stone edge

This is the basic trapping set. Again, keep in mind that this is an offensive team and the sole purpose of each member is to let exca sweep. After I decided to use Magnezone, I decided that another trapper wouldnt hurt and so far it works quite well. Some players are also surprised by the scarf which allows me to surprise kill Hydreigon, although that happened mostly in lower mmr.

462MS.png@ choice Scarf

Magnetpull

timid 4HP 252SPatk 252 Speed

hp fire

volt switch

thudnerbolt

flash cannon

As basic as it gets, but it does its job perfectly. I never really understood why one would choose specs over scarf. Sure additional damage is always nice, but it can perfectly trap pokemon with a scarf and be of use in the later stages of the game as a powerful revenge killer. Magnezone is also quite useful in breaking bulky watertypes, even though its scarfed.

561MS.png@ Life Orb

Magic Guard

Timid 4HP 252Spatk 252 Speed

Ice beam

air slash

psychic

heat wave

I decided to go full offense with this one. I abuse its ability to its fullest extend using a life orb and receiving no recoil. Many ppl underestimate its speed which allows for some surprise kills. Ice beam is for gliscor and dragons, air slash powerful stab to punish the conkeldurrs of this world, heat wave for anything thats steel and wasnt killed by magnezone. Psychic is quite useless honestly, it just offers some additional neutral damage, but it can probably be switched for roost. I personally just never find the time to roost up anyway, so I went for psychic.

286MS.png@ toxic orb

Toxic heal

Jolly 184Hp 74 Atk 252Speed

substitute

seed bomb

focus punch

spore

I really really like this set. I went for Jolly and full speed to outspeed as much as I can and spore it. Sometimes I do think that adamant and full atk investment would be better though, as milotic with icebeam can not always be defeated reliably with this set. The HP investment is mainly there to survive powerful priority attacks. I used a swordsdance variant before, but after I switched to subpunch I never looked back.

I think this team also highlights how item choices can negate a pokemons weakness quite effectively. Sometimes the team itself is not broken, just the items or spreads that are used are not leading to the imagined success.

So hopefully u made it to the end and enjoyed it. I personally think that breloom (although i love it) and sigilyph are the weak point of the team and maybe someone can find a more solid combination of mons. Conkeldurr + Reuniculus seems to be a go to, more standart choice and I might try it out sometimes. The sets and Spreads might also not be optimal. Maybe this showcase helps some ppl who want to get started with competitive play or are stuck at a certain mmr, to build a proper team. In my opinion, any team that does not abuse weather in any way is probably suboptimal and can be optimized. Although I have played some strong players such as abstractt which defeated me using weatherless teams, I still think that weather should be superior to no weather. Following this guideline you can also build a rain team. Weather teams are especially interesting for beginners, as certain pokemons are set in stone from the very beginning. 

Edited by jfk
grammar and spelling

I really like some of the ideas behind your team, man. For one, Chople Excadrill is pretty amazing, and it also helps with beating Vacuum Wave Lucario. I think your team is a bit weak to spikes, given that Shed Shell Skarm can switch into Hippo + TTar with relative ease. I'd recommend using a defogger like Salamence instead of Magnezone, and maybe going Reuni instead of Sigilyph. It's a much better scald switch in imo. I think Breloom is really great with respect to sporing and being able to pull off a powerful focus punch, but I am bit unsure of how good 74 attack evs is at breaking teams in general. I could be wrong since I haven't tried Breloom in MMO in ages. I'd recommend the last slot to be a pokemon that can check Conk, maybe Air Slash Togekiss or Sub Gar with either Orb / Taunt / Disable set. 

Thanks for sharing the team with the community, and good luck!

Slightly rain weak.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill in Rain: 528-624 (283.8 - 335.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 324-384 (150.6 - 178.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 168-198 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone in Rain: 205-243 (141.3 - 167.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Sigilyph in Rain: 225-265 (152 - 179%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Breloom in Rain: 140-165 (88.6 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Don't know why people are pretending the team is all good when it gets outsped and 1hkoed by 1 mon using 1 move. Its hard to have a bigger weakness than that.  Some of the people leaving likes are "good" players too so it makes me wonder if the intention is even to help people build better teams.  I don't know, something fishy or incompetent here.  Really, no one else noticed the most common rain sweeper just steamrolls? 

And that's not a knock on you jfk, it was a good attempt at a team and does work against other types of teams.  Unfortunately, the rain weakness is too much for this team to be viable without a significant rebuild.  If you add rain considerations to the next team you build like ferrothorn or spdef milotic, only use 1 sand setter, and give more things defensive ev spreads, then you'll probably have a good team pretty quickly. 

Anyway, like the creativity from the builder, but hope critique quality from reviewers gets better in the future since jfk should've been told 5 hours earlier his team is outsped and 1hkod by 1 mon using 1 move.  That's more useful info than a like on a forum post.

Edited by Aard
2 hours ago, Aard said:

I don't know, something fishy or incompetent here.  Really, no one else noticed the most common rain sweeper just steamrolls? 

Sure we noticed it, hell jfk even mentions he is "incredibly weak to water types", forgive us for leaving a like to say good job for the effort he put not only into making his team but also this post. 

If you read his post you would have seen he was trying to make an offensive sand team around excadril which really makes your make your team more defensive comment useless. Here is a fun critique for you since you must be new to team building, there is more to making a team than just trying to counter everything. I also rate that you said you "like" the creativity right after you got mad at people for leaving likes. 

Besides that, jfk i "like" your team, double trappers is nice especially scarf tar to help revenge faster sweepers. Ice fang also a good choice on hippo for the reasons you said. Although i do disagree with you saying abstractt is a strong player. Let us know if you make any changes in those last two slots.

Thanks for all your comments, appreciate it.

Aard you are of course right. I have no single reliable switch- in to choice specs kingdra. However, it is oftentimes possible to win against rain anyway, even if they pack kabutops and Kingdra. Rain teams rely on weather just as much as I do. So if I am able to kill pelipper/ pressure it with rocks/ change the weather repeatedly, I can win the match-up most of the time. And whenever kingdra comes in, I oftentimes have to sack one of my setters (mostly hippo) just to change the weather and continue to pressure him on my own. To give an example: Its rain on the field, he just switched his kingdra into, lets say my magnezone. I have to switch to hippo to change weather, his surf/hydro kills. I now switch into either ttar or exca, depending on his remaining mons and the remaining hp of Kingdra. If I switch to ttar, i can threaten his kingdra out, and he is still not able to safely switch into pelipper, as i can kill it as well. Furthermore, I see some ppl use surf over hydro/ lifeorb over specs or even focus energy critdra (the latter actually being a greater threat than specs imo).

And since there is no team preview, the opponent often doesnt know, how weak I am to water and therefore plays suboptimally, making sacrifices he doesnt have to make ( I ofc do the same thing in certain games, however I have been much more succesful in realizing what win conditions I have and what win cons my opponents have after I started using a team I build on my own). 

To sum up, against rain, the sweepers are only of secondary importance, the key for success ( in my experience at least ) is to win the weather war. I decided to try win weather by using both ttar and hippowdon, but i agree that a bulky water type or even a water immunity might serve the same purpose and the team might be better. However, it will be a lot less offensive and will play very differently. A sacked mon is ofc a big loss; but it is NOT a loss of momentum. And this team cares about momentum!

Let me add something to this: Let`s propose I follow Aard advice and include a bulky water resist, milotic or mantine for example. And I swap out one of my sand setters. I think, since both milotic and mantine are defensive pokemon, I might wanna switch out ttar. The team is now shifting towards balance, its a lot slower and packs less offensive pressure. In turn, sigilyph also becomes more or less obsolete. It cannot really switch into anything but fighting and ground attacks, so it has to be replaced with something more defensive as well. Reuniculus for example, or even more defensively: Cofagrigus. The team we are looking at now looks something like this:

450MS.png563MS.png226MS.png286MS.png462MS.png530MS.png

Something like this or similar teams are quite a common sight, and that is for a reason because they are solid and work well. It is totally possible, that such a balanced team will perform even better. However, it requires a completely different play style. Suddenly you might wanna use tspikes on cofa to beat stall, as u dont have enough pressure anymore. You probably also want to run hazard removal for the same reason. I am sure it is effective, but my teams weaknesses are not all patched up by adding a water resist to the team. Such a change will introduce other changes as well. 

5 hours ago, jfk said:

Let me add something to this: Let`s propose I follow Aard advice and include a bulky water resist, milotic or mantine for example. And I swap out one of my sand setters. I think, since both milotic and mantine are defensive pokemon, I might wanna switch out ttar. The team is now shifting towards balance, its a lot slower and packs less offensive pressure. In turn, sigilyph also becomes more or less obsolete. It cannot really switch into anything but fighting and ground attacks, so it has to be replaced with something more defensive as well. Reuniculus for example, or even more defensively: Cofagrigus. The team we are looking at now looks something like this:

450MS.png563MS.png226MS.png286MS.png462MS.png530MS.png

Something like this or similar teams are quite a common sight, and that is for a reason because they are solid and work well. It is totally possible, that such a balanced team will perform even better. However, it requires a completely different play style. Suddenly you might wanna use tspikes on cofa to beat stall, as u dont have enough pressure anymore. You probably also want to run hazard removal for the same reason. I am sure it is effective, but my teams weaknesses are not all patched up by adding a water resist to the team. Such a change will introduce other changes as well. 

You can swap out breloom for ferrothorn and have a more offensive grass mon than your current bulky breloom set especially if you put some evs attack.   Or you could run a specs jellicent over hippowdon or sigilyph.  Or if you want to preserve your sub focus punch set go with a poliwrath over breloom.  Some of those may work, some may not, but the point is there's more options here that prevent your team from auto-losing to rain than just completely changing the playstyle.  Forfeiting every time a pelliper appears isn't ideal.  If you're going to be so bold about being different, you might as well run an unconventional set or dig into the lower tiers to fix the weakness.

My opinion on the easiest quick patch is a specs mantine over sigilyph.  It plays the same way but allows you to not autolose to every rain team since at least you can bounce around between mantine and your weather setters, and resists now on kingdra and kabutops.  You get another fire resist too to help with the darmanitan problem.  Also, people will be more likely to thunderbolt a mantine than a sigilyph so you get more free excadrill switches.  Last thing is that some gyarados sets that would flat out sweep you at +2 (or +1 if things are hurt) will be completely walled by mantine.  Not to mention you'll surprise people and get most of the moves off you want.

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 143-168 (38.2 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mantine Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Conkeldurr: 414-488 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sigilyph: 64-75 (22.4 - 26.3%) -- 14.5% chance to 4HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Conkeldurr: 385-455 (92.9 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after burn damage

Sure, not as good a conk switch in and you only neutral hit scizor/ferro, but not losing to every team with pelliper is again more important.  Think the benefits outweights the cons here.  Actually, its already a weird set so why not run air slash, surf, ice beam, hp fire?

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mantine Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 276-328 (78.4 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeah, definitely better than the sigilyph on this team.

11 hours ago, DaftCoolio said:

Here is a fun critique for you since you must be new to team building, there is more to making a team than just trying to counter everything.

Pointing out the obvious flaw that the whole team is 1hkoed by 1 mon using 1 move must mean I'm new to teambuilding.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and let that response go.   Everyone makes flimsy arguments from emotional places every now and then.  One of the worst I've ever seen but you probably realize that too by now.

Edited by Aard
12 hours ago, DaftCoolio said:

Sure we noticed it, hell jfk even mentions he is "incredibly weak to water types", forgive us for leaving a like to say good job for the effort he put not only into making his team but also this post. 

If you read his post you would have seen he was trying to make an offensive sand team around excadril which really makes your make your team more defensive comment useless. Here is a fun critique for you since you must be new to team building, there is more to making a team than just trying to counter everything. I also rate that you said you "like" the creativity right after you got mad at people for leaving likes. 

Besides that, jfk i "like" your team, double trappers is nice especially scarf tar to help revenge faster sweepers. Ice fang also a good choice on hippo for the reasons you said. Although i do disagree with you saying abstractt is a strong player. Let us know if you make any changes in those last two slots.

Coolio4TC

To maybe conclude things here, I used this team in the latest Community Combat #122. First round is a nice replay how to win against rain, while the third round nicely showcases all the flaws of the team. I misplayed like a uguu but whatever, it still showcases all the teams weakness: spike stacking + water sweeper, in this case, DD Gyarados which I had no safe switch in to due to spikes and got swept clean. Thus, I have introduced one of the changes proposed by Aard and put ferrothorn over breloom. So far the new team went 12/1 in normal mm and 3/0 in ranked putting me at #58. I am glad I shared the team, although in retrospective the change from Aard seems obvious, I did not think of it. Thanks to you guys it is probably better now than it was before! I use the following Ferrothorn set:

Ferrothorn @ shed shell

Relaxed

252HP 48Def 208SpDef

spikes

leech seed

gyro ball

powerwhip

I went with shed shell, since I simply dont want to predict magnezones all the time.

Thanks to everyone so far, if you have any other ideas just let me now :)

• Jerryzoo changed the title to OU RMT team with decent success (RATE MY TEAM)
  • Jerryzoo locked this topic