PokeMMO OU Teambuilding Lab

4 hours ago, Revato said:

Hence I can conclude that having 30 IV is same as 31 and 248 EV is same as 252 right?

248 is the same as 252 for all IV`s that are equal numbers, such as 30. For 31`s you will need 252 EV`s to get the maximum final stat at lvl 50. Also: 30 and 31 IV`s only give the same stat line for uninvested stats, which means stats that have no EV investment and are not boosted by nature. 

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Example: lvl 50 timid gengar:

If you invest no EV into HP, Gengar will have 135 HP with 30 IV and 31 IV.

If it has 30 IV, the max EV to put into HP is 248, which will result in 166 HP, 252 EV will result in the same stat: 166.

If it has 31 IV, the max EV to put into HP is 252, which will result in 167 HP.

It is similar for natured stats. So as a rule of thump: if you have a speed boosting nature, make sure you have 31 IV`s in speed, and if you want to max the stat, make sure you put 252 EV into speed.

Edited by jfk
grammar
2 hours ago, jfk said:

It is similar for natured stats. So as a rule of thump: if you have a speed boosting nature, make sure you have 31 IV`s in speed, and if you want to max the stat, make sure you put 252 EV into speed.

Ahh,, you always give a detailed explanation to work on. Thanks again mate. ^^

Hi guys!! I'm building my first team and i need help, can you help me, please??
I'd like to build a rain team, at this moment i have 3 pokemon for my team.

Pelipper @Damp Rock
Hability: Drizzle
Nature: Bold
IV: 0 Atk
EV: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 SpA
- Hurricane
- Escald
- Roost
- Defog

Kingdra @???
Hability: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest
EV: 252 Speed, 252 SpA, 6HP
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse / (???)
-???
-???

Ludicolo @LifeOrb
Hability: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest
EV: 252 Speed, 252 SpA, 6 HP
- Ice Beam
- Gigadrain
- ???
- ???

I have thought in two options for the team leader (if you think in better options, please tell me)

First Option, Suicide Lead (my favourite option)
Smeargle @Focus Sash
Hability: Own Tempo
Nature: Timid
IV: 31 HP, 31 Speed
EV: 252 HP, 252 Speed, 6 Def or SpD
- Endeavor
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Second Option
Crustle @Mental Herb
Hability: Sturdy
Nature: Adamant
IV: 31 Hp, 31 Atk, 31 Speed
EV: 200 HP, 248 Atk, 62 Speed
- Rock Blast
- X-Scissor
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

And i need 2 more pokemon..
Guys, can you help me to build my team? Thank you!!!

Edited by XthaiX

@XthaiX Your first 3 will get completely shut down by Chansey and Blissey, therefor Kabutops is an excellent rain sweeper and I'd even consider running it over either Kingdra or Ludicolo. Having 2 sweepers being walled by the same Pokemon usually means lots of autolosses against bad matchups. I'd consider some blanket wall because your team is defensively weak to lots of things. I like Porygon2 in rain, with Trace it stops Jolteon cold. Also it traps Magnezone which is huge too. That opens up a slot to Ferrothorn and it performs well in rain having its main weakness being hindered in terms of damage. Last slot should be a Conkeldurr counter/check. That's how I really go with the thought process of rain teams.

3 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

@XthaiX Your first 3 will get completely shut down by Chansey and Blissey, therefor Kabutops is an excellent rain sweeper and I'd even consider running it over either Kingdra or Ludicolo. Having 2 sweepers being walled by the same Pokemon usually means lots of autolosses against bad matchups. I'd consider some blanket wall because your team is defensively weak to lots of things. I like Porygon2 in rain, with Trace it stops Jolteon cold. Also it traps Magnezone which is huge too. That opens up a slot to Ferrothorn and it performs well in rain having its main weakness being hindered in terms of damage. Last slot should be a Conkeldurr counter/check. That's how I really go with the thought process of rain teams.

Thanks for explaining to me those concepts, i'm starting in competitive mode and I still do not understand many concepts (I'm working on it).

For that reason I appreciate all the explanations and possible help (sorry for my english level, i need a translator sometimes xD)

According to your concepts and what I could understand, a good team could be:

- Pelipper
- Kabutops
- Ludicolo/Kingdra
- Porigon2
- Ferrothorn
- Conkeldurr's counter
(i don't now stats needed, only kingdra, ludicolo and pelipper)

Am I in the correct way? I appreciate all possible help :)

2 minutes ago, XthaiX said:

Thanks for explaining to me those concepts, i'm starting in competitive mode and I still do not understand many concepts (I'm working on it).

For that reason I appreciate all the explanations and possible help (sorry for my english level, i need a translator sometimes xD)

According to your concepts and what I could understand, a good team could be:

- Pelipper
- Kabutops
- Ludicolo/Kingdra
- Porigon2
- Ferrothorn
- Conkeldurr's counter
(i don't now stats needed, only kingdra, ludicolo and pelipper)

Am I in the correct way? I appreciate all possible help :)

This is just my way to it, there's lots of different variations to rain teams :) I recommend to check out some tournament replays to give you more ideas. The only point I really recommend to stick to though is not having 2 or more rain sweepers that cannot do anything against Chansey/Blissey.

I can make a more comprehensive post about my team tomorrow editing to this post.

Edited by OrangeManiac
  • 1 month later...

Hello there!

Im fairly new to PokeMMo, but I managed to breed a mixed Salamence (naive), and Milotic (bold).

I really like those two, and want to make a balanced team with them, some defog/spinner, stealth rocks, and taunt/roar-whirlwind would be great too.

Im open to suggestions, but my actual sala has:

Salamence @ Life Orb  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 84 Atk / 174 SpA / 252 Spe  
Naive Nature  
- Draco Meteor  
- Dragon Claw  
- Flamethrower  
- Dragon Dance

Milotic:

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Haze

Im thinking about something like Scizor/Ferrothorn and maybe Conkel/Mienshao, but im pretty lost.

I know I´m kinda late, but I would gladly take any help given ^^

Thanks in advance!

Just now, Ralzzo said:

Hello there!

Im fairly new to PokeMMo, but I managed to breed a mixed Salamence (naive), and Milotic (bold).

I really like those two, and want to make a balanced team with them, some defog/spinner, stealth rocks, and taunt/roar-whirlwind would be great too.

Im open to suggestions, but my actual sala has:

Salamence @ Life Orb  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 84 Atk / 174 SpA / 252 Spe  
Naive Nature  
- Draco Meteor  
- Dragon Claw  
- Flamethrower  
- Dragon Dance

Milotic:

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Haze

Im thinking about something like Scizor/Ferrothorn and maybe Conkel/Mienshao, but im pretty lost.

I know I´m kinda late, but I would gladly take any help given ^^

Thanks in advance!

If you're using mixed mence, I would prefer using 4 attacks or 3 attacks with roost. Otherwise for a Dragon Dance set, I would recommend adamant / jolly nature with physical moves only. The way I would recommend teambuilding is look at your two mons, and see how to have answers to the mons that counter them:
Mence + Milo

Some stuff that can easily switch into your Milo are Reuniclus / Mantine / Bulky Conkeldur / Chansey + Blissey. So mons that can switch in on Mantine + Chansey are Conk, Toxic Orb Loom (beware of switching Conk into a toxic from Chansey and switching Loom into a Scald from Mantine, play around it so that you can switch them onto a roost / softboil). Then some mons that can handle a Bulky Conkeldur are Reuni / Cofa / Impish Rocky Helmet Hippo etc.

So right now your team would look like Mence / Milo / Conk or Loom / Reuni or Cofa or Hippo. Like that repeat the same process with the kind of Salamence you would go with, and have answers to the counters to your Salamence. Once you have your final 6, check to see if there's a glaring weakness to Rain / Togekiss / Conkeldur / Volcarona / Hazards in general. Accordingly, keep tweaking your team to patch up the various weaknesses. Don't be afraid to reinvent the wheel and come up with your own answers to some of the counters. I apologize if this sounds like too much work, but that's the hell I go through when I teambuild. Some people just slap 6 mons randomly, but imo that's not a proper way to go about it. I would also recommend watching replays of OU tournaments and see what cores people generally run in order to get a better idea of teambuilding in OU.

Good luck!

33 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

If you're using mixed mence, I would prefer using 4 attacks or 3 attacks with roost. Otherwise for a Dragon Dance set, I would recommend adamant / jolly nature with physical moves only. The way I would recommend teambuilding is look at your two mons, and see how to have answers to the mons that counter them:
Mence + Milo

Some stuff that can easily switch into your Milo are Reuniclus / Mantine / Bulky Conkeldur / Chansey + Blissey. So mons that can switch in on Mantine + Chansey are Conk, Toxic Orb Loom (beware of switching Conk into a toxic from Chansey and switching Loom into a Scald from Mantine, play around it so that you can switch them onto a roost / softboil). Then some mons that can handle a Bulky Conkeldur are Reuni / Cofa / Impish Rocky Helmet Hippo etc.

So right now your team would look like Mence / Milo / Conk or Loom / Reuni or Cofa or Hippo. Like that repeat the same process with the kind of Salamence you would go with, and have answers to the counters to your Salamence. Once you have your final 6, check to see if there's a glaring weakness to Rain / Togekiss / Conkeldur / Volcarona / Hazards in general. Accordingly, keep tweaking your team to patch up the various weaknesses. Don't be afraid to reinvent the wheel and come up with your own answers to some of the counters. I apologize if this sounds like too much work, but that's the hell I go through when I teambuild. Some people just slap 6 mons randomly, but imo that's not a proper way to go about it. I would also recommend watching replays of OU tournaments and see what cores people generally run in order to get a better idea of teambuilding in OU.

Good luck!

I agree that ditching dragon dance for a mixed Sal is a good idea

Hi all, i was messing around with some bulky set up sweepers and i came up with this set for Volcarona:

Volcarona @ Leftovers  
Ability: Flame Body  
EVs: 240 HP / 224 Def / 44 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Quiver Dance  
- Flamethrower  
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

I'm having a bit of trouble in finding the right poke to make it work (i'm quite a beginner), but i think it has a lot of potential. Can someone help me in building a team around this? 

Thanks in Advance^^

Edited by Kyrosho
17 minutes ago, Kyrosho said:

Hi all, i was messing around with some bulky set up sweepers and i came up with this set for Volcarona:

Volcarona @ Leftovers  
Timid Nature  
- Quiver Dance  
- Flamethrower  
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

I'm having a bit of trouble in finding the right poke to make it work (i'm quite a beginner), but i think it has a lot of potential. Can someone help me in building a team around this? 

Thanks in Advance^^

You NEED rapid spin or defog if you want the slightest chance of using volcarona. You want something that can tank super effective hits and resist them, you want something that complements it well. You also want firey dance as it lets you exploit stallers by massively boosting special attack.

A good ally could be a drought user to weaken water based moves and make volcarona's STABs even greater. Works even better with firey dance because if they try and stall out the sun, you can just keep boosting to stallbreak.

Tentacruel is a great ally. It resists strong water attacks (like rain boosted hydro pumps) as well as clearing the deadly stealth rocks. Also it lays toxic spikes which will help deal with any pokemon that think they can take advantage of volcarona and stick around to boost up.

9 hours ago, RIchardZheng said:

You NEED rapid spin or defog if you want the slightest chance of using volcarona. You want something that can tank super effective hits and resist them, you want something that complements it well. You also want firey dance as it lets you exploit stallers by massively boosting special attack.

A good ally could be a drought user to weaken water based moves and make volcarona's STABs even greater. Works even better with firey dance because if they try and stall out the sun, you can just keep boosting to stallbreak.

Tentacruel is a great ally. It resists strong water attacks (like rain boosted hydro pumps) as well as clearing the deadly stealth rocks. Also it lays toxic spikes which will help deal with any pokemon that think they can take advantage of volcarona and stick around to boost up.

With your advice i came up with this:

Volcarona @ Leftovers  
Timid Nature  
- Quiver Dance  
- Fiery Dance  
- Bug Buzz  
- Roost  

Switched flamethrower in favour of fiery dance

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge  
Ability: Clear Body  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Rapid Spin  
- Toxic Spikes  
- Toxic  
- Scald  

Added tentacruel with rapid spin for hazard removal and hazard laying.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Dark Pulse  
- Dragon Pulse  
- Roost  
- Earth Power  

Hydreigon should take care of tentacruel weakness and provide some more coverage. I went for roost to take advandage of his bulkyness.

What do you think about this 3 pokemon as core of the team ?

Now i think that i need something to take care of bulky water types and a physical sweeper, but i'm not sure...

On 8/21/2019 at 11:02 PM, NikhilR said:

Mence + Milo

Good luck!

First of all, sorry for answering so late, I was pretty busy at work.

Thats some nice way of building a team, guess I´ll need to practice a lot with my mons. So far I made a few teams using this core but none of them were good enough, thats why I came here. I´ll follow your advise!

And about DD on mixed sala, I like it as far as it helps the team. If not, ofc, coverage is prefered, I was using him before with earthq - brick break, still I think its a solid idea.

Thanks all!

1 hour ago, Ralzzo said:

First of all, sorry for answering so late, I was pretty busy at work.

Thats some nice way of building a team, guess I´ll need to practice a lot with my mons. So far I made a few teams using this core but none of them were good enough, thats why I came here. I´ll follow your advise!

And about DD on mixed sala, I like it as far as it helps the team. If not, ofc, coverage is prefered, I was using him before with earthq - brick break, still I think its a solid idea.

Thanks all!

Luckily for you, Salamance has such a wide movepool that a mixed set can fit into a lot of teams. I wouldn't worry about what to run on mixed Sal, as it can plug any holes in your team.

I would start with a strong defensive core and a strong offensive core, then work to fit salamance into it all. Salamance is great in that it can really fit any role with tons of good coverage moves. You got draco meteor, crunch, hydro pump, fire blast, and lots of other strong moves to play around with.

• 1 month later...

I would like a team that is built around the Garchomp and Gyarados offense core. I’d like the ability to set some hazards and deal with them if that’s needed. But I really enjoy using Garchomp and Gyarados as they are strong dragon Pokémon and my favorite Pokémon. Please no legendary Pokémon or ultra beasts(I hate them). But yeah please build me a team :) Id also like to know the weaknesses of the team and possible alternative Pokémon on the team if it isn’t too much trouble. I’m new to this.

Edited by FastDragons
18 hours ago, FastDragons said:

I would like a team that is built around the Garchomp and Gyarados offense core. I’d like the ability to set some hazards and deal with them if that’s needed. But I really enjoy using Garchomp and Gyarados as they are strong dragon Pokémon and my favorite Pokémon. Please no legendary Pokémon or ultra beasts(I hate them). But yeah please build me a team :) Id also like to know the weaknesses of the team and possible alternative Pokémon on the team if it isn’t too much trouble. I’m new to this.

Gyarados Garchomp is definitely a good core to start from as Swords Dance Garchomp removes a lot of obstacles that Gyarados might face, such as Milotic. Furthermore, Fire Fang (or Fire Blast for non SD) allows Garchomp to deal with Ferrothorn and Skarmory, Pokemon that are troublesome for Gyarados as well.

I'd say biggest problem to these two Pokemon are Hidden Power Ice Jolteon and Gengar. Having a switch that cover both can be a sensible first step to build this team. Some suggestions to fix this problem are special walls like Blissey/Porygon2/Ferrothorn, last of which really doesn't like Focus Blast but mostly does the job. Blissey and Porygon2 also do a great job checking Choice Scarf Hydreigon, a Pokemon which also can become troublesome.

Regardless which of these you choose, hazard removal is huge in OU tier. That's why I'd recommend to dedicate your next slot to Rapid spinner/Defogger. If you chose to use a hazard setter, for example Ferrothorn, Rapid Spinner is a good next step. In my opinion Tentacruel is the best at this bar none, however Starmie or even Excadrill are worthy considerations. For Defogger, Salamence/Skarmory/Gliscor/Mantine are good considerations.

At this point I'd probably ask you that which selections you made so I could assist any further in case you're interested of teambuilding in the way I'm suggesting here.

I understand if it isn't viable, but ive been trying for a bit to build an adaptability porygon z (tri attack, hyperbeam, nasty plot, something else) team based around setting up and using porygon z as a sweeper, or maybe a suicide lead because of his massive damage output. I'm new, so I dont know if its viable, so if it isnt, you can just ignore me but I'd really appreciate your help.

8 hours ago, TheCzar said:

I understand if it isn't viable, but ive been trying for a bit to build an adaptability porygon z (tri attack, hyperbeam, nasty plot, something else) team based around setting up and using porygon z as a sweeper, or maybe a suicide lead because of his massive damage output. I'm new, so I dont know if its viable, so if it isnt, you can just ignore me but I'd really appreciate your help.

Porygon-Z absolutely can be viable in OU. If it falls flat at anything, it's being outsped by every relevant sweeper in the tier. But Nasty Plot Porygon-Z is absolutely one of the best wallbreakers there is. My set personally is Nasty Plot, Tri Attack, Dark Pulse, Hidden Power Fighting. Tri attack does most of the work, Dark Pulse hits Ghosts, Hidden Power Fighting prevents getting hard walled by Tyranitar. Hyper Beam is definitely an option but I feel as if it needs a very defensive team to make up for the fact you always stand there 1 turn doing nothing which is a free set up for opponent. Quite frankly I've yet to experience a game where Nasty Plot Tri Atk was not enough to remove a wall I needed gone.

If you're not as concerned about TTar, Hyper Beam can be a good 4th moveslot all-or-nothing move but despite the enormous power it has a huge drawback shadowing the net value of Hyper Beam per game a lot.

Edited by OrangeManiac
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys! I have been playing competitive Pokémon in Showdown for 6 years and I'm in love with the competitive scene, although I have only ever done it for fun. However, the one thing I have never actually invested time on is team building, I have always just tried random teams I'd find in forums with interesting alternative strategies. 

Now, with PokeMMO, I wanna finally build my own team, but time I can put into it is limited, so I was thinking of creating a team that I know will do well independently of slight metagame changes and playstyles. 

With this said, I was thinking of a balanced team with setup options (finding the right spot for a setup is my favourite strategy) and a slight favour towards offense. However, I am not sure of how the PokeMMO meta works without all the OU Gen5 staples that are not present (I'm talking about you Landorus).

If you could suggest me a couple of cores that could work well and the setup sweepers that work better in this context I will try and build my very own first team!

Thank you so much guys!

P.s. please include a dragon! I know I'm basic, but I have been playing Pokémon since I was 4 and Dragonite was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my life. No shame. 

Edited by Sinner5
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm new to pokeMMO and I'd like to build a balanced team.

I came out with these 5 pokemons, not sure on what to place as 6th though.

I'd like to keep Hydreigon, Starmie and Conkeldurr.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf

Modest

Levitate

252 SPATK, 252 SPEED, 4 HP

Dark Pulse

Dragon Pulse

Flamethrower

U-Turn

Starmie @ Leftovers

Timid

Natural Cure

248 HP, 220 SPEED, 36 DEF, 4 SPATK (with this EV spread she can outspeed and OHKO Gengar while keeping some bulkiness to stay alive and remove hazards as much as possible)

Scald

Psyshock / Thunder (to get an OHKO on Gyarados if I can't find any better counter)

Rapid Spin

Recover

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb

Adamant

Guts

252 ATK, 232 SPDEF, 20 SPEED, 4 HP

Facade

Mach Punch

Drain Punch

Thunder Punch / Ice Punch (depending on what I choose to use on Starmie)

Skarmory @ Shed shell

Impish

Sturdy

252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 HP

Stealth Rock

Roost

Whirlwind

Brave Bird

Togekiss @ Shell Bell (can't use leftovers due to item clause...)

Calm

Serene Grace

252 HP, 252 SPDEF, 4 DEF

Body Slam

Air Slash

Roost

Aura Sphere

I realize that I'm quite exposed to Electric and Ice types, right now.  Mamoswine could mitigate this.

Thank you!

23 minutes ago, Aleventinove said:

Togekiss @ Shell Bell (can't use leftovers due to item clause...)

I realize that I'm quite exposed to Electric and Ice types, right now.  Mamoswine could mitigate this.

Thank you!

Have yet to read the whole thing, so dont take it too linearly.

Either way, a) You can use multiple leftovers in here.

b) Lanturn is an amazing electric sponge. 

Finally, stabbed ice is rare. Lanturn can also help with the eventual cloysters.

Hello, 

I would like you to help me to build a team that includes Chandelure and a Swampert if its possible. I understand the team roles and how the synergy is suposed to work, but im not experienced at all at building a team so any kind of help is welcomed. If it means anything i have a fully built chandelure, swampert, excadrill, tyranitar, jolteon and hippowdon.

Thank you. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys i really like the way that you are doing things and was wondering if you can try to help me build a solid team.
I already tried to build a team but i also want to see new ideas so i wanted something that include:

Reuniclus  magic guard Leftovers
EVs 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD Bold
Calm Mind
Recover
Psychic
Focus Blast 

Rotom-wash Levitate leftovers
EVs 228 HP/28 SpA/252 SpD Calm

Volt Switch

Hydro Pump

Thunder Wave

Pain Split

Hope that you can help me and thanks for your great work.