How come PokeMMO doesn't follow the philosophy for other game's seasonal events?

When you look at other games that prominently feature seasonal events like Overwatch or Team Fortress 2, they usually are featuring 3-4 week long durations to have a chance to experience what the devs have been working on for that seasonal event, along with them starting way before the actual holiday starts (Overwatch's Christmas event happening 2 weeks prior, or TF2's Scream Fortress taking up all of October, and then some).

It just feels frustrating when I see a seasonal event drop on the day of the actual holiday, when IRL it is literally the one day I'm focused on the festivities for that event. Have the devs considered looking into releasing more accessible events?

PokeMMO has different community, much smaller than games you mentioned, it's a different game compared to the ones you mentioned as well. If people would be able to farm this event for 3-4 weeks then the economy would be ded like Harambe and event prizes (xmas gifts, santa gifts, event exclusive items) would be pretty much worthless.

It's fair the way it is now

3 hours ago, Raichu4u said:

When you look at other games that prominently feature seasonal events like Overwatch or Team Fortress 2, they usually are featuring 3-4 week long durations to have a chance to experience what the devs have been working on for that seasonal event, along with them starting way before the actual holiday starts (Overwatch's Christmas event happening 2 weeks prior, or TF2's Scream Fortress taking up all of October, and then some).

It just feels frustrating when I see a seasonal event drop on the day of the actual holiday, when IRL it is literally the one day I'm focused on the festivities for that event. Have the devs considered looking into releasing more accessible events?

Not just those games but pretty much any game that has events, especially any other MMO.

You are not alone in feeling this way, it's ridiculous the way it is now. (Even just actually telling people there's gonna be an event on this day or whatever a month ahead of time would be a great thing for the community, instead of memes and troll posts leaving most people getting fed up of the game waiting)

From what I heard the older events were only a couple days long at max, that seems even more ridiculous that you wait a year for updates and you get given a 3 day event on the days you should be spending with your family...xD

It would be a good idea to add some sort of smaller month long event or even a yen and experience boost during the December month, log in rewards could be a nice thing to add as well. Maybe adding the particle Pokémon for the month and then dungeons come the last week or so. It would help people to stay interested.

This games great but it could be a lot better I dunno wether that's cause there's simpally not enough man power working on updates or motivation is little and there just stringing it out for $$$ and couldn't care less... Can't really say for sure which is the case cause there's not much/0 transparency in what is actually being worked on from the admins.

There's lots of people getting fed up of this game recently and leaving (long time players) I think that could be solved by having a little more transparency with what's actually happening with this game and where it's going other than rumours and shitposts. People get excited when every update comes but then it turns out they've waited months for another bug fix update they never even noticed lol

The community is smaller than a lot of games but maybe devs could work towards changing that. 

This is just my opinion on the current status of the game, I've been around on and off since 2012

Just saying, the past 2 years' events were 3+ weeks long. This is the first time it has been shorter in a few years. And if I were to guess, they probably felt that higher payout for a shorter time is more enjoyable for the community than a longer event with horrible payout (although I personally liked previous events better).

I do agree that they could be way more transparent, though I doubt it will happen. We used to occasionally get "Dev Blogs" by Kyu but they seem to have either stopped completely or become so infrequent that we're in the dark 99% of the time about what's currently in development. In the end it comes down to them not wanting to promise something/give ETA's in fear of not being able to meet those expectations, which is understandable, but it's not to say improvements can't be made.

18 hours ago, Raichu4u said:

When you look at other games that prominently feature seasonal events like Overwatch or Team Fortress 2, they usually are featuring 3-4 week long durations to have a chance to experience what the devs have been working on for that seasonal event

I'm not convinced that the game modes we make for holidays are good enough to run for more than 10 days. They're usually shallow and repetitive, and I imagine they get old quickly once the meta is discovered. This is due to the way we use events as "feature incubators", where we test experimental designs to see how fun they are, or how our development cycles need to change.

We don't want them to overstay their welcome, nor do we really want to babysit the events as they run to make sure they stay "fresh" throughout their entire duration. That's why they're usually so short.

18 hours ago, Raichu4u said:

Contrary to what my lighthearted forums posts may tell you, we're not actually having fun by delaying everything until the last minute, and it is immensely stressful for everyone involved. The Christmas 2018 event was completed 30 minutes before we started building releases for it, and the level of polish should make it obvious how rushed it was.

Halloween was similar, due to the huge amount of unforeseen issues caused by porting events to Unova. This isn't really anyone's fault; the entire game basically got a rewrite for Gen 5 to be possible, and events aren't really cared about until we actually have to do them. It was in a similar situation for release, to where we were still tweaking stuff hours before its release.

So, if we're dropping an event on the same day as the holiday, it's because we made a mistake, and it took too long to make, for whatever reason. Sometimes we get too ambitious, sometimes things go wrong, but regardless, it's not intentional.

7 hours ago, awkways said:

We used to occasionally get "Dev Blogs" by Kyu but they seem to have either stopped completely or become so infrequent that we're in the dark 99% of the time about what's currently in development.

johto confirmed

15 minutes ago, Kyu said:

nor do we really want to babysit the events as they run to make sure they stay "fresh" throughout their entire duration.

you still had fun buffing the pumpking all the time tho

15 minutes ago, Kyu said:

So, if we're dropping an event on the same day as the holiday, it's because we made a mistake, and it took too long to make, for whatever reason. Sometimes we get too ambitious, sometimes things go wrong, but regardless, it's not intentional.

i think we can all understand and know at this point that you guys taking more time than you planed is a common occurance, it would just be nice to know sometime insted of getting only the trolling.

Just now, SodaNaranja said:

Jotho*

jhoto**

Edited by ThePrettyPetard
8 minutes ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

I think we can all understand and know at this point that you guys taking more time than you planed is a common occurance, it would just be nice to know sometime insted of getting only the trolling.

If they keep silent, forum complain how non transparent they are

If they share their plans, forum complain they should give us any eta 

If they give us a eta, forum complain how all the time they are late and there is supposed to be feature month ago 

Things happens during development which makes things slip. Fact They have small team which for their reasons they don't want to expand also doesn't help.

For me, giving just plans is fine but forum already verified this is not a solution. 

42 minutes ago, Kyu said:

I'm not convinced that the game modes we make for holidays are good enough to run for more than 10 days. They're usually shallow and repetitive, and I imagine they get old quickly once the meta is discovered. This is due to the way we use events as "feature incubators", where we test experimental designs to see how fun they are, or how our development cycles need to change.

We don't want them to overstay their welcome, nor do we really want to babysit the events as they run to make sure they stay "fresh" throughout their entire duration. That's why they're usually so short.

Contrary to what my lighthearted forums posts may tell you, we're not actually having fun by delaying everything until the last minute, and it is immensely stressful for everyone involved. The Christmas 2018 event was completed 30 minutes before we started building releases for it, and the level of polish should make it obvious how rushed it was.

Halloween was similar, due to the huge amount of unforeseen issues caused by porting events to Unova. This isn't really anyone's fault; the entire game basically got a rewrite for Gen 5 to be possible, and events aren't really cared about until we actually have to do them. It was in a similar situation for release, to where we were still tweaking stuff hours before its release.

johto confirmed

This event looks like a hasty release... So that I saw it adjusted several times after the release.

2 hours ago, Toupi said:

If they keep silent, forum complain how non transparent they are

If they share their plans, forum complain they should give us any eta 

If they give us a eta, forum complain how all the time they are late and there is supposed to be feature month ago 

Things happens during development which makes things slip. Fact They have small team which for their reasons they don't want to expand also doesn't help.

For me, giving just plans is fine but forum already verified this is not a solution. 

i mean i get that people will allways complain but i still feel like there is less people complaining when they don't meet their eta than in any other case becaus we know and spread awareness about them being bad at meeting their eta.

in any case i would be much happier if they shared their plan more often even if we don't get an eta. the eta could just be overly exagerated has well to make sure they meet it like saying in the next 6 month for something they think would take 1.

14 minutes ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

in any case i would be much happier if they shared their plan more often even if we don't get an eta. the eta could just be overly exagerated has well to make sure they meet it like saying in the next 6 month for something they think would take 1.

Exactly 

ETA's are not really needed (they are hard to stand by from any developer as generally when you change something in code it breaks many other things that's just the nature of coding lol)

but it would be really great to see what ideas they have for this game and what they are currently working on etc. It would give a reason for people to stick around.

Helpful feedback is good feedback for developers even if it may be negative, it helps them improve there work.