Basic Team Building

Havok

I do agree to most of the things(reading this on my iphone so I might have missed/forgot some sentences but I'll try to not use wrong facts, sorry if I do.(typos all day long)

Not to be rude but there is a few small things I would like to get changed, starmie while good should according to most very experienced players I've talked with never be your lead as you become much more predictable and starmie have so many checks as leads(from good players, not really pokemmo)(i mean, check the meta game..."I like this poke I'll play it.")

Jolteon is a great lead and totally wrecks starmie. Of course there is always something that will counter x poke but starmies types is just not too great to start with. Would rather have someone setting up entry hassards(nyi) while having high defensive stats.

Also Elecrtabuzz is written twice in te offensive threats.

Blastoise is WAY off the threats tab, he does nothing better than a starmie if you ask me.

If you counter starmie you counter blastoise, and more probably.

You should talk about status effects.

How big a paralyze is more than the "is paralyzed cant move" as it is a huge part of any competitive community.(the speed reduction derp)

Not sure if there is clauses but maybe you can mention them, entry hassards, spinners and spin blockers as they, when implemented is a big part of most meta games.

If this is not a basic guide (sorry) then well I dont know.

And in that case I would add the STAB tab. Hence the tab about same type attacks,

If you do not do that, I'll mention it quickly as it is really important.

//all pokemons are a type, and if the attack shares type with them it does more samage, simple

THIS IS WHY MOST FIRETYPES IS BAD

They have a high attack and speed(horrible defensive stats) but then they need a PHYSICAL attack which is also fire typed, this doesnt really exist(fire punch... Well ... No) so they usually end up with some normal damaging attacks and some firemoves when their special attack is low(yet it is better to use them as physical sweepers with firemoves in case of)

Please mention that to help new people out.

Add a link to a tier list, like smogons.

Also metion that most pokemons is not in the game, which affects the list. But it still hints about the stats/moves. While I can see why you should no be blinded by a tier list, it can annoy me when people want to use a neverused pokemon then saying, competitive x for trade.... Like what? Good IV's does not make it competitive.

Mention IVs? Link to a iv calulator, no maybe not teambuilding material, but it sort of it, you should not use a pokemon with 0 ivs:P

Maybe talk about weather effects as they also have a HUGE impact on the game, vaporion(spelling?) with hydration in rain with protect rest -.- urgh....

Hope I sort of helped with my page of typos and grammar mistakes as well as some critism and if you think I conplained too much, well then be happy i agreed to the rest, or atleast for not too experienced players.

Edit: baton passers?(nyi) Im not sure if you should add a nyi tab with this kind of stuff as it will affect the meta game alot when implemented. That way people will know a bit about it when they do implement it.

Most firetypes is bad, live with it,kingdra isnt great

Dragonair is good but not the very best, especially without hurricane

Pidgeot is awful,

Alakazam is basicly best when you have a blissey/chansey AND a starmie

Gengar is good.

You totally lack synergy and good pokes, you do not have any defensive walls, while alakazam can withstand some special attacks he gets wrecked by other stuff.

Sorry but your team lacks a good poke(s) with good defences, you probably dont have enough type coverage.

No support either can(but doesnt to 100%) make your team worse.

Most firetypes is bad, live with it,kingdra isnt great

Dragonair is good but not the very best, especially without hurricane

Pidgeot is awful,

Alakazam is basicly best when you have a blissey/chansey AND a starmie

Gengar is good.

You totally lack synergy and good pokes, you do not have any defensive walls, while alakazam can withstand some special attacks he gets wrecked by other stuff.

Sorry but your team lacks a good poke(s) with good defences, you probably dont have enough type coverage.

No support either can(but doesnt to 100%) make your team worse.

thanks for giving your opinion, so, would it be better if it was: charizard, aerodactyl, starmie, chansey, gengar and dragonite?

Why have you picked the pokemons you chose? That is what teambuilding is about, why? What do they bring, what roles do you fill with them?

Dont forget, what moves do you use on them? Pokemon such as gengar starmie chansey can be used very differently with different movepools.

that's true, but since i've been playing pokemon for 13 years, i think i know what i'm doing although in this game my team sucks :(

I do agree to most of the things(reading this on my iphone so I might have missed/forgot some sentences but I'll try to not use wrong facts, sorry if I do.(typos all day long)

Not to be rude but there is a few small things I would like to get changed, starmie while good should according to most very experienced players I've talked with never be your lead as you become much more predictable and starmie have so many checks as leads(from good players, not really pokemmo)(i mean, check the meta game..."I like this poke I'll play it.")

Jolteon is a great lead and totally wrecks starmie. Of course there is always something that will counter x poke but starmies types is just not too great to start with. Would rather have someone setting up entry hassards(nyi) while having high defensive stats.

Also Elecrtabuzz is written twice in te offensive threats.

Blastoise is WAY off the threats tab, he does nothing better than a starmie if you ask me.

If you counter starmie you counter blastoise, and more probably.

You should talk about status effects.

How big a paralyze is more than the "is paralyzed cant move" as it is a huge part of any competitive community.(the speed reduction derp)

Not sure if there is clauses but maybe you can mention them, entry hassards, spinners and spin blockers as they, when implemented is a big part of most meta games.

If this is not a basic guide (sorry) then well I dont know.

And in that case I would add the STAB tab. Hence the tab about same type attacks,

If you do not do that, I'll mention it quickly as it is really important.

//all pokemons are a type, and if the attack shares type with them it does more samage, simple

THIS IS WHY MOST FIRETYPES IS BAD

They have a high attack and speed(horrible defensive stats) but then they need a PHYSICAL attack which is also fire typed, this doesnt really exist(fire punch... Well ... No) so they usually end up with some normal damaging attacks and some firemoves when their special attack is low(yet it is better to use them as physical sweepers with firemoves in case of)

Please mention that to help new people out.

Add a link to a tier list, like smogons.

Also metion that most pokemons is not in the game, which affects the list. But it still hints about the stats/moves. While I can see why you should no be blinded by a tier list, it can annoy me when people want to use a neverused pokemon then saying, competitive x for trade.... Like what? Good IV's does not make it competitive.

Mention IVs? Link to a iv calulator, no maybe not teambuilding material, but it sort of it, you should not use a pokemon with 0 ivs:P

Maybe talk about weather effects as they also have a HUGE impact on the game, vaporion(spelling?) with hydration in rain with protect rest -.- urgh....

Hope I sort of helped with my page of typos and grammar mistakes as well as some critism and if you think I conplained too much, well then be happy i agreed to the rest, or atleast for not too experienced players.

Edit: baton passers?(nyi) Im not sure if you should add a nyi tab with this kind of stuff as it will affect the meta game alot when implemented. That way people will know a bit about it when they do implement it.

I'll try to answer you as best I can.

As for starmie not being a good lead I would disagree. Although it is "predictiable" well, nearly every pokemon in the game is "predictible". You probably know what every pokemon is going to do and what moves it probably has. Starmie is still a good lead, can pack a punch and has a fast speed stat and although it can be countered, it can still do very well. And although I have not played this game in like 2 weeks since I've been busy with school finals, last I checked entry hazards had not been implemented, otherwise I would include them in suggested leads.

Thanks, I'll take off the extra electrabuzz.

You probably do counter blastoise if you counter starmie, but blastoise is bulkier, and might as well have it on there just in case. I mean it doesn't hurt* and is jusy another check mark you should have on your team.

I'm not going to talk about status effects because I'm assuming basic players understand what they are, what they do, and how they are important in battles.

I might talk about standard clauses briefly if I get the time, but I kind of assume even new players know what those are.

And once again, I will add spin blockers/entry hazards if they are implemented which I don't think they are but I need to check.

Not going to mention/talk about STAB because I assume people know what that is and how it works like status effects. Also, this game is 3rd gen so all fire moves are special, but this doesn't necessarily mean all firetypes are bad. Like charizard can be very effective if played properly as a mixed sweeper.

Also, I'm not going to make a tier list because so few pokemon are implemented and I'm not going argue with the entire community on why X pokemon should be in X tier. Gonna leave that to the official pokemmo devs/mods/community to implement themselves.

There are several other guides are IVs and EVs so I'm not going to cover that.

Last I checked swift swim/chlorophyll didn't work. If it is implemented I will talk about it.

Same for baton pass.

I'm not too sure playing x hours doesnt make you better, playing to improve usually does. For example, what lead do you use? What does tour charizard do? And aero? Is your starmie there for sweeping or putting out statuses and healing? What synergy does dragonite have?

If you make it a rain team it could be fine. Where all pokes benefit from rain, something along these lines:

Lead:

Politoad with drizzle if founr, otherwise I would go with starmie-.-

Starmie(semi sweeper/spinner(it isnt implemented but for later)

Rapid spin

Thunder

Raindance

Surf

Dragonite sweeper

Dragon dance

Earthquake

Thunder

Blizzard

Kingdra (swiftswim) special sweeper(revenge)

Surf

Blizzard

Raindance

Toxic

Chansey(blissey) special wall/ support

Softboil

Semestic toss

Aromatherapy

Thunder

Snorlax wouldn't be way too bad(physical bait, special wall)1:1

Self destruct

Counter

Shadowball(type coverage against gengars)

Rest

I'm not too sure playing x hours doesnt make you better, playing to improve usually does. For example, what lead do you use? What does tour charizard do? And aero? Is your starmie there for sweeping or putting out statuses and healing? What synergy does dragonite have?

If you make it a rain team it could be fine. Where all pokes benefit from rain, something along these lines:

Lead:

Politoad with drizzle if founr, otherwise I would go with starmie-.-

Starmie(semi sweeper/spinner(it isnt implemented but for later)

Rapid spin

Thunder

Raindance

Surf

Dragonite sweeper

Dragon dance

Earthquake

Thunder

Blizzard

Kingdra (swiftswim) special sweeper(revenge)

Surf

Blizzard

Raindance

Toxic

Chansey(blissey) special wall/ support

Softboil

Semestic toss

Aromatherapy

Thunder

Snorlax wouldn't be way too bad(physical bait, special wall)1:1

Self destruct

Counter

Shadowball(type coverage against gengars)

Rest

ok, i'll try it and tell you about it.

I really want to thank you because this is very helpful!!

Gengar learn dragonball without his tm, and if starmie unlearn rapid spin it will be way worse when they inplement the spikes, depends if you wanna train up a full team for level 100 per say, that will take a long time to find a perfect iv team and train it.

Even though stab, status effects and other basic things look very basic in your eyes it is something that most "mediocre" players on here overlook. I mean look at the trade chat, timid firetypes are way over attack+ natures? Then they put 252 evs into speed and spAtk? That is how people play firetypes. O course there is some decent firetypes but as te water types are so popular since they are good firetypes have a bad start in general. Starmie(mentioned later) as a lead will scare off the charizard the other persin who asked if his (no offence) really random team was good. Otherwise starmie scares away? Aero? The other starmie(lol)?

Starmie vs as I said before a jolteon would, hopefully switch out,

Starmie vs a gengar, not sure if you wanna risk the hypnosis -> gigadrain/prediction on your switch. Clauses will prevent this if natrual cure doesnt work but otherwise he can sleep your whole team if lucky.(no he wouldnt stand a chance against blissey or alakazam.

The problem would be a switch into a sweeper and then a setup. Dragonite with dragon dance. (also why is dragonite considered expensive if dragondance is not implemented?)...

And if you play with clauses the players suddenly got 3 hypnosis/sleep powder and 0 paralyzis

There is so many who run just too much sleep becuase it is "better" than hypnosis, or just dont run at all.

Same with stab moves. Either they pick too many stab(Like surf hydropump bubblebeam recover on starmie and "0" type coverage)(like on gengar, too many ghost attacks) or the simply run none at all. I hope you do not mind me saying this but for being a "competitive" community this community is pretty bad when it comes to just teambuilding. Thats why you wrote this?

Threats is mentioned why if you wont link to a tierlist?

As for starmie being a bad lead, of course you can use it, but what advantages does it really give you over (later spikes and stealthrock users) It doesnt really scare anything away. While I dont like to follow a guide to 100% this short article sums it up pretty well if you've played a lot outside pokemmos meta

http://www.smogon.com/rs/articles/your_starter_pokemon

The problem with the meta and teambuilding(same thing basicly) is that people pick something the like, and stick with attacks it learns when it levels up, hence getting stab moves but not type coverage. If you do not have time I could write the part for you or make a new article about it.

This post was so messy I just made. Jumped too much back and forth.

As a summary instead

This community is pretty bad when it comes to teambuilding, hence they do not necessarily know what you think is obvious

Link to a summary on leads

Question if I should write the stab article if you do not have time or if I should make an article similar to this as we probably do not have the same veiws on stuff - this is of course not to leech/steal readers, but I hope you could see that we both hope to help the community.

You can relearn moves from the move relearner at any time, so there's no real reason to run moves that aren't fully implemented. Once rapid spin and spikes are fully realized, then there would be reason to run them.

I don't think any of the pokemon you listed learn fire spin.

Most people are running 4 special attacks or 3 special attacks plus recover on Starmie.

What other attacks do you need on starmie except for surf and thunderbolt?(Normal starmie)

Thunderwave helps alot while icebeam(I know both thunderbolt and icebeam isn't implemented, but still, they have their replacements) can beat gyarados and dragonite, they have their own counters as dragonite for example, usually run thunder too.

No snorlax learns fire blast i think.

Yeah right. The move relearner was implemented like 4 days ago?

• 11 months later...

Hallo!

I just read through the thread and am finding it very helpful.  I havn't played any pokemon since gold/silver really (a bit of the gen after those, though not much) and have never played competitively.  I have to say that I find most of the specialized terms (clause, stab, etc.) to be greek.  Is there a thread which explains these 'basic' concepts?

I mean, having played through gen1 and gen2 games, I have an understanding of type counters and a little bit about optimization, but I never really got into building a team to fight other people, haha.  Anyway, thank you for the thread!

Hallo!

I have to say that I find most of the specialized terms (clause, stab, etc.) to be greek.  Is there a thread which explains these 'basic' concepts?

Hmm, you can find the clauses and what they mean here, https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/14407-list-of-clauses-and-what-they-mean/

As for stab, that stands for Same Type Attack Bonus. For example if a water type uses a water move, it gets an attack bonus.

• 7 months later...

Since there was a lot of discussion about a core in this post, it is also important to note that a player should know his/her main core. For example, a special core group, I recommend choosing 2 or 3 types from Fire, Water, Electric and Grass. Having a water and a fire is generally considered a minimum.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...