Is this game so hard on purpose?

I've been playing trough Hoenn the last week and it seems like enemy pokemon almost always have enormous damage output while I Only do about 20% damage.

This even happens with just effective moves from them or even super effective moves from me. 

It even happened that a pokemon with a lower level 1shotted me with an x1 effective move.

I'm trying to enjoy the game but sooner or later this will make me ragequit.

Any thoughts? Is this only me?

Edited by Matthanol

The stats of the Pokemon you battle against are all perfectly legal, and they're not at the maximum for their species/level during the storyline either. If your own Pokemon is something extremely frail like an Alakazam and you're battling something with a high attack stat, even with a minor level difference, it's probably going to do a lot of damage to you, which is completely normal for this kind of matchup.

The gym leaders and other similarly important trainers have better builds than the original games (still with legal stats etc), but the regular trainers are very close to what they'd usually be in terms of raw strength. If you're struggling with a particular battle, leveling up a bit more, buying some healing items, or changing your tactics should be enough to get you past it.

5 hours ago, Matthanol said:

Any thoughts? Is this only me?

yea its hard on purpose and its not just you. only people who get on staff are the die hards who no life the game and its a bit of a echo chamber of people with thousands of hours and no idea what its like to be new or a casual. it's a whole market they are loosing without even realizing it.

41 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

yea its hard on purpose and its not just you. only people who get on staff are the die hards who no life the game and its a bit of a echo chamber of people with thousands of hours and no idea what its like to be new or a casual. it's a whole market they are loosing without even realizing it.

I am doing the storylines right now (Unova is done, I am at the beginning of Hoenn) and yes it is harder than the original games but it's far from impossible. I didn't used a single healing item in Unova and only got beated once or twice around Castelia City and i'm far from being a great Pokemon player. 

You only need a team with different types know which types are the most effectives against which. My Unova team was Krookodile, Darmanitan, Archeops, Cofagrigus, Galvantula & Mienshao. I decided to not use my starter anymore when I got to Castelia and replaced it with Darmanitan. All those pokemons have a neutral or at least not a bad nature like Modest on a Krookodile and IVs 15+ on needed stats, so nothing hard to get. You should also train until you reach the level cap before battling a gym leader.

Since you are in Hoenn, here is the team I chose. If you want help building one, feel free to contact me.

Swampert • Gardevoir • Hariyama • Manectric • Roserade • Flygon

Edited by Qwevyl
Added Hoenn Team

I would say that MMOs shouldn't be as easy as the original games but damn the difficulty just to get through the storyline sucked out the fun for me. Was hoping to run through the story real quick so I can start shiny hunting but can't really bother to build a good team and shit just to beat the storyline. I don't PvP or anything like that, I used to run through the storyline with my starter only lol but it does make sense to make this change. Some people love it but as for me I called it quits after beating kanto which took me about 2 weeks and with the help of gilans lucario lol

In the legal but salty category, I love/hate N having Zorua. It makes total sense from a story perspective and I wish he used it more in the main games, but man, it's a kick to the teeth every time I see it. Zoroark brought me back into pokemon after a 4-5 year hiatus, but it's highly unlikely I will have one here since BW made Zorua/Zoroark event only pokemon.

On 12/19/2018 at 10:15 PM, Qwevyl said:

ok you are talking about iv's, nature, types, and team building. a child or someone who has limited experience and no competitive experience might know a little about one of these things maybe? get what im saying? and the number of people who fall into this group is a hek of a lot. they are going to play for a bit and go "wadu hek" then nope nope nope out of here.

8 hours ago, WayTooTired said:

In the legal but salty category, I love/hate N having Zorua. It makes total sense from a story perspective and I wish he used it more in the main games, but man, it's a kick to the teeth every time I see it. Zoroark brought me back into pokemon after a 4-5 year hiatus, but it's highly unlikely I will have one here since BW made Zorua/Zoroark event only pokemon.

He'll be available in due time, you just need a little patience.

Personally, I like that the game is harder than the original games, but not every player is like that.

My girlfriend eventually stopped playing because she wasn't able to get past some of the later gym leaders. I offered to help her but she would only get stuck at the next hard NPC battle again, so she lost interest. She just wants to enjoy the story and catch them all.

Cant make everyone happy, I guess...

1 hour ago, Envinyata said:

Personally, I like that the game is harder than the original games, but not every player is like that.

My girlfriend eventually stopped playing because she wasn't able to get past some of the later gym leaders. I offered to help her but she would only get stuck at the next hard NPC battle again, so she lost interest. She just wants to enjoy the story and catch them all.

Cant make everyone happy, I guess...

There could be a way actually to make all the players happy but it would probably be the devs that wouldn't be. If you make the home region with the old lvl cap then the noobs would be able to play at least one region and get some fund to help them for the next one wich would be harder. But the I think they don't like that this idea would "promote" making alt to be able to beat every region. And for those who like it hard from the start an option to put it on hard mode at the start would fix that.

I've been playing through Hoenn with a new account for alt runs and I've noticed that the problem is that Boss fights (Gyms, Evil team admins, Rivals) tend to be a massive spike in difficulty over the average trainer. You go from fighting your average Magma Grunt with a Numel and a shitty Zubat around level 28 to fighting Maxie who has around level 38 Alakazam Camerupt Crobat Mightyena and some other mon. You simply do not gain enough EXP naturally to avoid grinding nor you can funnel all your EXP into two mons because of the cap.

The average trainer in Route 127:
Triathlette Donny: Wingull 26 / Staryu 34

Seafloor cavern Aqua grunts:

Grunt 1: Poochyena 36

Grunt 2: Carvanha 36

Grunt 3: Mightyena 35

Admin Shelly: Mightyena 40 / Sharpedo 40/Crawdaunt 41

Archie : Crobat 41 (With Giga Drain and Minmaxed EVs while most story mons have to chug down all the trainer encounters and some wilds) /  Lanturn 43 (Ice Beam) / Tentacruel 43 (Giga Drain too! Fuck you Swampert! Your Earthquake-less ass isn't beating this!)  / Mightyena 41  / Sharpedo 43  (These last two I forgot to write down their levels so I could be off)

At the time of this last fight your cap will be 47, my mons were around 44 and it was still a pretty damn close fight not to mention I technically had an advantage by using strong mons that would normally be unavailable to me at this point sent from my main account as to not have to level .

So yeah I suggest either toning down these boss fights a bit or making every trainer stronger so they yield more exp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I started playing 2 weeks ago, and I progressed through the game slowly, and finally got to the E4! But the game is always making me struggle to progress, I lost count of how many times I was obligated to grind in the wilds or buy stronger Pokemons so I can have just a chance to defeat my rival, and when I got to the Victory Road, I made sure I have battle every trainer possible through the game, got in Indigo Plateau with lvl 55/50 mons just to get my a** kicked. The E4 mons do extremely overpowered demage on Pokemon of the same level and above, I later spend almost 6 hours grinding hordes in the Victory rode to get all my mons to 62, and it still absurd the amount of damage and how "luck" the E4 trainers are to avoid or inflict status to my mons, I can't even buy Full Restores because someone thought it was a good idea removing them from the Indigo Plateau store, com'on, it's the end game, and even if it was Full Restores the money you earn isn't enough if you have to spend it buying exp share/mons on the "trade" store.

For me, they buffed too much the trainers moves and stats to make it harder so the player is obligated to grind, get tired and resolve to buy the donator status (or some other things to get more exp), but in my opinion they should nerf the trainers a little, there's nothing wrong with being more difficult due the fact that you have more tools in hand, like trades, mons, moves that you usually won't have, but giving such overpowered stats and sometimes moves (like thunderbold to Giovanni Nidoking, that I at least can't remember him having in the FR/LF games) is unnecessary. And I'm still trying to defeat my rival at the final battle of the league... 

Edited by XehanortI
Some gramatical errors (my first language isn't English)
4 hours ago, XehanortI said:

And I'm still trying to defeat my rival at the final battle of the league... 

man I know how you feel, with luck I managed to get to my Rival, lost every time, then I sold all 3 of my EXP. shares to buy 80+ restores! and then and only then I managed to defeat my rival! and even then it was close! cause his Gyarados missed me, and I got the final blow!

1 hour ago, CrisanComis said:

man I know how you feel, with luck I managed to get to my Rival, lost every time, then I sold all 3 of my EXP. shares to buy 80+ restores! and then and only then I managed to defeat my rival! and even then it was close! cause his Gyarados missed me, and I got the final blow!

if you stop trying to faceroll things, you'll understand how easy the game is. Just be more strategic, it's pokemon afterall.