Question about Thief

Ok, I know that a whole bunch of features in this game have been altered for the sake of the MMO and to not break the economy. Like having a shiny rate of 1/30k and making sweet scent cost 5pp per use outside battle. Here's the question, why in the heck do they make it so thief doesn't work if you faint the pokemon holding the item? It's pointless to make that addition and wouldn't negatively affect the economy in any way if they made it parallel to the main games. But that's just me. Why do you guys think this is so?

11 minutes ago, BoltBlades12 said:

why in the heck do they make it so thief doesn't work if you faint the pokemon holding the item?

Because the intention is to make sure that you use a party member that will take damage and not just be able to consistently spam thief on everything with no downside.

1 hour ago, Darkshade said:

Because the intention is to make sure that you use a party member that will take damage and not just be able to consistently spam thief on everything with no downside.

That still doesn't exactly answer my question. What is so wrong with being able to use thief like in the main games, especially since items on pokemon on rare to get anyways. What's the point in making it so party member HAS to take damage in order for thief to work?

To improve cost - benefit relation.

A lvl 100 one-shotting all wild encounters with thief while obtaining items does not cost anything, therefor it shouldn't be too beneficial.

By restricting the thief mechanic in order to force your party to take some damage, a cost is introduced, allowing the reward to be more worthwhile.

5 hours ago, Tyrone said:

A lvl 100 one-shotting all wild encounters with thief while obtaining items does not cost anything, therefor it shouldn't be too beneficial.

By restricting the thief mechanic in order to force your party to take some damage, a cost is introduced, allowing the reward to be more worthwhile.

mfw you just have to breed a bold 0 atk smeargle and you good to go. 

5 hours ago, Tyrone said:

that doesn't make any sense at all. If thief worked regardless of whether or not the pokemon fainted, it's not like the market would crash or anything since the rarity of held items wouldn't be affected.

15 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

that doesn't make any sense at all. If thief worked regardless of whether or not the pokemon fainted, it's not like the market would crash or anything since the rarity of held items wouldn't be affected.

The thing is you just don't see the sense in it because it does make sense when you actually think about it.

if thief works even if the pokemon faint then people could just use this move much more often and in term raise the number of item farmed. The rarity of a wild pokemon holding the item wouldn't be affected however the percetage of those successfully stolen would raise wich would be the part that cause problems.

51 minutes ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

The thing is you just don't see the sense in it because it does make sense when you actually think about it.

if thief works even if the pokemon faint then people could just use this move much more often and in term raise the number of item farmed. The rarity of a wild pokemon holding the item wouldn't be affected however the percetage of those successfully stolen would raise wich would be the part that cause problems.

there's nothing wrong with more success on stolen items. It wouldn't affect the prices on gtl.

13 minutes ago, BoltBlades12 said:

there's nothing wrong with more success on stolen items. It wouldn't affect the prices on gtl.

more success on stolen item X

more item X in the game

need for item X is quenched by its amount

less ppl are needing that item

less ppl are buying item X

more item X is laying on GTL

ppl lower price to sell item X

Item X is worth fraction of previous price (depends on size of extra amount introduced to the game)

You could observe this after 1st Halloween event. All items featured in spooky bags dropped to 1-2k per piece (for example: dark glasses)

1 hour ago, Toupi said:

more item X in the game

Item X is worth fraction of previous price (depends on size of extra amount introduced to the game)

You could observe this after 1st Halloween event. All items featured in spooky bags dropped to 1-2k per piece (for example: dark glasses)

Economics 101

2 hours ago, Toupi said:

more item X in the game

and explain to me how exactly making it so thief doesn't work on fainted pokemon fixes this? Exactly, there's no difference.

Also, keep in mind, the rarity of the items still stays the same, so gtl doesn't get affected at all.

Edited by BoltBlades12
4 minutes ago, BoltBlades12 said:

and explain to me how exactly making it so thief doesn't work on fainted pokemon fixes this?

Making the supply harder to obtain makes these said supply lower and lower supply make the price higher.

5 minutes ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Also, keep in mind, the rarity of the items still stays the same,

Yes the rarity will be the same but the obtainablelity would change. There isn't only one factor that say how much there is of one thing in the case of thief item.

sadly your issue is that you don't think far enough and seems to reject the idea of doing so. Has much has I would like to have a good argument with you, your closed mind doesn't allow for such thing to happen.

Look, mate.. umm you need to take a step back and think of it like this..

Why do YOU want thief to steal items even if it kills? 

That is right, it is because every time you tried to get leftovers (or whatever) you killed the Pokémon holding it.

(at least I’m assuming you’re not complaining about the mechanic in PvP but rather in PvE) 

So to not kill it, you need to work a bit harder, by using a weaker Pokémon, burning your Pokémon or whatever.

The matter of fact is, you have to work harder.

If it was just a matter of click thief until you get leftovers, you’d grab your level 100 and without a care spam thief.

Not just you, everyone would too. And like everyone told you, the more there is, the less it costs. 

Also just use a low level Pokémon with the “Amnesia brace” so it won’t level up or something, there are soooooo many ways to work around it, but the point is, it is not easy enough that everyone would take the extra step to do it. 

I hope you actually can understand me, since I used examples rather than general logic in hopes of getting the idea through.

Edited by MHkaserz
The part I stroke was a flawed idea
7 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Dude, thief also doesn't work if my thief mon is ALREADY holding an item.

Oh right,  sorry didn’t think that one through xD 

Hbout all of the other things.. give them a shot and good luck

You can also use Knock off with a Pokémon that has “Pick Up” ..Knock off has 40 power base while enemy is holding an item, so might be weak enough. 

Edited by MHkaserz

I just use Trick on my Smeargle, and if the Pokemon holds an item I just catch it. :P It's amazing for farming and sometimes catching some breeders to use or sell. lol
It is harder than just spamming Thief? Yes. But I think everyone here made it clear why it has to be like that:

The easier/faster it is to farm, the more items we will have. Taking the example of Leftovers, I could just keep spamming Thief and farming them a lot easier, then I would try to seel them on GTL and see there's a lot of Leftovers being sold because not only everyone is trying to sell it, people are also buying it less because it's easier to farm. So there you go, you have a change on the economy, the price of it would drop.

Just to complete my thought:
Yes, the rarity on obtaining items wouldn't change. But let's put things like this:

Because of that price you pay, you take more time to farm. So like in 1 hour you get 10 items with how it is now. With no price to pay, you would farm 15. And it's not just you doing that. So yes, there would be more items being sold.

Also, if you could sell your 10 items in 30 minutes, you would sell the same 10 items in 1 hour, because more people are farming it to sell or/and to use it, therefore you basically is taking out or the market a good amount of possible buyers too.

There would be a lot of offers and less people looking for it. That's one of the causes of price dropping.

2 hours ago, SneakyTeddi said:

I just use Trick on my Smeargle, and if the Pokemon holds an item I just catch it. :P It's amazing for farming and sometimes catching some breeders to use or sell. lol
It is harder than just spamming Thief? Yes. But I think everyone here made it clear why it has to be like that:

The easier/faster it is to farm, the more items we will have. Taking the example of Leftovers, I could just keep spamming Thief and farming them a lot easier, then I would try to seel them on GTL and see there's a lot of Leftovers being sold because not only everyone is trying to sell it, people are also buying it less because it's easier to farm. So there you go, you have a change on the economy, the price of it would drop.

Just to complete my thought:
Yes, the rarity on obtaining items wouldn't change. But let's put things like this:

Because of that price you pay, you take more time to farm. So like in 1 hour you get 10 items with how it is now. With no price to pay, you would farm 15. And it's not just you doing that. So yes, there would be more items being sold.

Also, if you could sell your 10 items in 30 minutes, you would sell the same 10 items in 1 hour, because more people are farming it to sell or/and to use it, therefore you basically is taking out or the market a good amount of possible buyers too.

There would be a lot of offers and less people looking for it. That's one of the causes of price dropping.

That still doesn't exactly answer my question. How does thief failing if it faints the pokemon make that big of a difference? It really doesn't.

3 minutes ago, BoltBlades12 said:

That still doesn't exactly answer my question. How does thief failing if it faints the pokemon make that big of a difference? It really doesn't.

If it doesn't make that much of a difference why do you care so much about it ?

Clearly it makes a big difference, it makes farming them hard and more time consuming. This affects the economy.

If you really want the game developers to change the current mechanics, this is not the place, make a thread in Suggestion Box.

5 minutes ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Are you even reading those responses?

16 hours ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

Making the supply harder to obtain makes these said supply lower and lower supply make the price higher.

16 hours ago, MHkaserz said:

Why do YOU want thief to steal items even if it kills? 

That is right, it is because every time you tried to get leftovers you killed the Pokémon holding it.

So to not kill it, you need to work a bit harder, by using a weaker Pokémon, burning your Pokémon or whatever.

The matter of fact is, you have to work harder.

If it was just a matter of click thief until you get leftovers, you’d grab your level 100 and without a care spam thief.

Not just you, everyone would too. And like everyone told you, the more there is, the less it costs. 

there are soooooo many ways to work around it, but the point is, it is not easy enough that everyone would take the extra step to do it. 

2 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Darkshade tried to explain it but maybe it wasn't clear. It's not just about the market and economy. Having the mechanics this way makes the player think about ways of using it rather than just mindlessly spamming thief.

Also, you can try using a frisk lead and catching all the Pokemon that have an item.

• 2 weeks later...

ok both sides made their points and i m completly fine with current mechanic beacuse i dont even "thief" :P but i just dont get that "hows that helping economy if prices are always kept high but not lowered for so called economic reasons." Think about it for newcomers not for people like us who played this game for years and already have X amount of leftovers/choice's etc but some1 just finished storyline and want X item for his comps. If items price is so high that dosent help new ones at all, they have to find ways to find money just to play competitive for example. But im sure im gonna come out wrong with ^ this idea beacuse of economic and grindymmo reasons.. yea i know :)

2 hours ago, Winterclaw said:

ok both sides made their points and i m completly fine with current mechanic beacuse i dont even "thief" :P but i just dont get that "hows that helping economy if prices are always kept high but not lowered for so called economic reasons." Think about it for newcomers not for people like us who played this game for years and already have X amount of leftovers/choice's etc but some1 just finished storyline and want X item for his comps. If items price is so high that dosent help new ones at all, they have to find ways to find money just to play competitive for example. But im sure im gonna come out wrong with ^ this idea beacuse of economic and grindymmo reasons.. yea i know :)

There isn't that many good item for pvp that can be theft that have high price tag honestly the only two i can think about is leftover and life orb and they're price is mainly due to the high demand and fact that only a rare pokemon can hold that item so the mechanic has nearly no influence on them