PokeMMO NU League - Discussion thread

So i had the idea to have a single player league system going in pokemmo with psl gone and since its the tier i enjoy most and lacks traffic i wanna go with NU. This thread is basically just to collect ideas and figure out how the whole thing can happen. First of all tho; i wanna play in something like this if it happens, so we would need a host.

Format wise i thought of a simple league system, depending on how many people wanna take part in this there might need to be several devisions. X amount of people making playoffs to play for the big prize - nothing fancy here. Problem is that bottom bracket people might lose interest if they cant make it anymore, so i thought of weekly prizes for the winners of their respective matches and maybe some kind of bounties put in place after x weeks are played, so beating first place as last is still something worth putting effort into.

I also want to make sure that the matches are recorded (!), so we need a monetary pool for people who record matches and upload them on youtube i guess. Maybe we could find people from different time zones, who agree to do the recordings/uploads beforehand to avoid confusion when things are actually happening.

Another question is how to select people, who get spots in this. Having certain criteria to be met sure would make more quality matches, but since its a community event i also feel like there should be no limitations. It would also help to promote the tier if anybody can join, which every NU enthusiast would benefit from and in the end there will surely be high quality hype matches since playoffs format. Not sure tho, so opinions needed.

Thats all i can think of now. Theres probably more stuff to think about before this can happen, but as i said earlier, this is just a thread to collect some initial ideas, so feel free to voice out opinions and ideas. Also, if you would be down to commit as a host, player, donator or recorder/uploader let the community know.

Cheers

17 minutes ago, razimove said:

About criteria to make quality matches, I believe if you implement some sort of elo system and everyone starting at the same elo, there will be those who will stand out, and eventually balance things out

thatd mean some sort of qualifier and elo determines entries. or did i get something wrong?

I was thinking about making a UU/NU Ranked Challenge, the PvP Matchmaking doesnt works because no one try to join in the Queue or there are a very few players.
With a little insentive($$$) people may be try to play rankeds so my idea was offer a price to the first one that reaches X quantity of Elo

And of course notify here as a reminder when the ranked of X tier are open

51 minutes ago, Haazuu said:

I was thinking about making a UU/NU Ranked Challenge, the PvP Matchmaking doesnt works because no one try to join in the Queue or there are a very few players.
With a little insentive($$$) people may be try to play rankeds so my idea was offer a price to the first one that reaches X quantity of Elo

And of course notify here as a reminder when the ranked of X tier are open

i thought about that as well, but i had doubts of that rly helping UU/NU out. i think the biggest issue with that concept is that its abusable for those people who can play the game all day and if theres a group of 4 (or 6?) people they can just boost each other or one of them and share. a league with one match each week on the other hand is manageable for everybody. if we find people who record and share with the community we should even have some spicy techs (fuck speedy golbat) while grinding ranked for x elo can be done with an abc NU team.

its still a good idea, but for the given reason and because i wanted something "bigger" and some hefty hype i went with the league idea. once the traffic exists ladder tours, which are directly bound to to match making could be a thing tho. i want something huge and some hype, so ill put all my efforts into the league thing for now. id still support your idea as good as i can, should you decide to make it happen.

the fact that people think about how to make tiers work is amazing though. means we finally overcame the complaining and/or waiting for others to fix it, which is really cool.

Edited by DrButler
3 hours ago, DrButler said:

thatd mean some sort of qualifier and elo determines entries. or did i get something wrong?

an excel sheet could easily get this done I guess, but for manual input, we could use some formula with variables like match time, pokemons dead etc, if you're not in a rush, I can spend sometime with you on the weekend with this. Qualifiers could also work indeed, and would most likely be a better system, that a static elo start for everyone.

Edited by razimove
1 hour ago, razimove said:

an excel sheet could easily get this done I guess, but for manual input, we could use some formula with variables like match time, pokemons dead etc, if you're not in a rush, I can spend sometime with you on the weekend with this. Qualifiers could also work indeed, and would most likely be a better system, that a static elo start for everyone.

im a little confused. so lets say we form a league, maybe with several devisions - everybody plays each other in the bracket. where does elo kick in in that?

4 minutes ago, DrButler said:

im a little confused. so lets say we form a league, maybe with several devisions - everybody plays each other in the bracket. where does elo kick in in that?

I mean, lets say you create a system, with the following variables(this are most likely really bad examples of variables, but just to give an idea), match time, fainted pokemons, hazards placed etc, each in a system of points, which we'd then calc for lets say 10 'placement' games using the spreadsheet, that could be published and edited by you, to keep ranking updated? Idea might be rubbish I dunno.

1 minute ago, razimove said:

I mean, lets say you create a system, with the following variables(this are most likely really bad examples of variables, but just to give an idea), match time, fainted pokemons, hazards placed etc, each in a system of points, which we'd then calc for lets say 10 'placement' games using the spreadsheet, that could be published and edited by you, to keep ranking updated? Idea might be rubbish I dunno.

ahead of creating brackets for devisions? i mean lets say we create a "weak" devision and a "strong" one. thatd result in playoffs being completely fucked up and good ppl playing each other before the real fun starts, then crushing the weak devision in playoffs. unless im missing what you mean that seems like a suboptimal idea.

34 minutes ago, DrButler said:

ahead of creating brackets for devisions? i mean lets say we create a "weak" devision and a "strong" one. thatd result in playoffs being completely fucked up and good ppl playing each other before the real fun starts, then crushing the weak devision in playoffs. unless im missing what you mean that seems like a suboptimal idea.

That’s effectively the principle of seedings though to be fair

Let’s see if my mind has anything to offer...

Thought process: YuGiOh GX rankings.. divide players into three main tiers. Their gameplay will be judged by the high three organizers.

Players get sorted in their houses (we can use the Pokémon Go team names here) ..Moltres being the lowest and Articuno being the highest. (Following YuGi GX colors)

Each host is mainly responsible for one house.

Hosts matches:

Two games vs each host, one blind and one with revealed teams.

Hosts are obviously highly ranked and greatly respected among the community.

Each host can have his own way of judging as long as it translates into numbers on the same scale with other hosts so they can take the average and decide the final mmr (matchmaking rank) of a certain player.

Each house can have a max number of players given that the highest has 1/2 of the 2nd and 1/4 of the 3rd.

Naturally when the seats are filled the person at the very bottom of the lowest tier is always endangered by new comers that can result in him being kicked and repeating the process of joining.

You are placed in a house: 

Instead of elo, we will follow the battle tower arc from HunterxHunter logic.

Matches need to be scheduled and monitored.

If you get certain amounts of defeats you’re demoted. (Or kicked if you’re in the bottom tier)

If you get a certain amount of wins you get a chance to get promoted.

(By facing the lowest ranked player in the higher tier in a best 2 out of 3 match, which can demote him)

Privilages of having a certain rank can be discussed.

Sechdulaing no matches for a certain amount of time causes you disqualification from the whole league until you repeat the process.

I know there are many holes here and there in what I’m saying but with enough commitment this is very doable 

Edited by MHkaserz