Jump to content
  • 29
JIceJDragon

Abilities in the pokedex

Question

I always wondered this... just put all possible abilities in the pokedex so I dont have to go looking it up online

We don't have secret abilities yet so its pretty much one more section, just put it under Egg Group 

Share this post


Link to post

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

MHkaserz   

Or at the very least show the abilities you’ve come across.

 

Say you caught an Arcnine with Flash Fire but never caught one with Intimidate. 

Abilities: Flash Fire, ???

 

Pretty sure the initial suggestion is easier to implement, but if this is a concern, it can be handled this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Dibbzzz   
On 11/30/2018 at 9:10 PM, MHkaserz said:

Or at the very least show the abilities you’ve come across.

 

Say you caught an Arcnine with Flash Fire but never caught one with Intimidate. 

Abilities: Flash Fire, ???

 

Pretty sure the initial suggestion is easier to implement, but if this is a concern, it can be handled this way.

Shouldn't be a concern. Literally every single thing about a Pokemon (moveset, EV yield, egg group) are available upon catching, why not abilities? All it takes to switch abilities is an ability pill anyway so I don't see why it should be an issue 

Share this post


Link to post
MHkaserz   
1 hour ago, Dibbzzz said:

Shouldn't be a concern. Literally every single thing about a Pokemon (moveset, EV yield, egg group) are available upon catching, why not abilities? All it takes to switch abilities is an ability pill anyway so I don't see why it should be an issue 

I agree with the initial idea wholeheartedly and it is easier to implement as I said.

I'm simply addressing the possible concern of giving away everything.

Abilities are not really on par with what you mentioned, they are more like the evolution tree, you should only figure it out when you actually get it.

Just like you can only know where a pokemon can be caught only when you've already encountered it somewhere,
and you are not given all possible catch locations at once.

You gotta perceive the matter from all possible perspectives, because, even to a slightly knowledgeable player, these matters are trivial. From a game designer prespective though, it is part of the experience to know things only through tackling (or obtaining) them, and that what I was addressing.

Edited by MHkaserz

Share this post


Link to post
Dibbzzz   
On 12/5/2018 at 3:42 AM, MHkaserz said:

I agree with the initial idea wholeheartedly and it is easier to implement as I said.

I'm simply addressing the possible concern of giving away everything.

Abilities are not really on par with what you mentioned, they are more like the evolution tree, you should only figure it out when you actually get it.

Just like you can only know where a pokemon can be caught only when you've already encountered it somewhere,
and you are not given all possible catch locations at once.

You gotta perceive the matter from all possible perspectives, because, even to a slightly knowledgeable player, these matters are trivial. From a game designer prespective though, it is part of the experience to know things only through tackling (or obtaining) them, and that what I was addressing.

I see where you're coming from, but I still think catching a Pokemon should let you look at all available abilities since that's easily Google-able, and easily changeable in-game.

 

I mean, once HAs are implemented you could keep them actually hidden until you encounter/catch the Pokemon with its hidden ability, but tbh I'd just be happy with the dex implementing abilities however devs decide to if they do.

 

I'd say it's like all locations becoming available when one is encountered or all moves becoming visible once caught. That's just my opinion though 

Share this post


Link to post
Munya   

I also believe it should show all abilities just catching one, maybe hidden being the exception but even then, probably better to just show it.  You get access to all of its other information when you catch it and I don't see a reason for abilities to be any different. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.