PokeMMO Community Days

BoltBlades12

Question

Ok, so I"m sure a few of you play(or have played) Pokemon Go, hate or like. And I'm sure some of those players are familiar with Community Days, where on a certain day in the month, for a 3-hour window, a certain pokemon species(Cyndaquil, Dratini, Pikachu, etc.) has higher spawn rates and a slightly increased shiny rate.

Here's where the idea comes in:

I think we should have a similar type of monthly event on PokeMMO. Where on one day of every month(weekend would be recommended, but it's ultimately the devs' decision for when), for a 3-hour window, a certain Pokemon species(first stage pokemon most likely) will get some spotlight. And during that 3-hour time, that Pokemon and that Pokemon ONLY will have an increased shiny rate, since without abilities there isn't exactly a way to increase spawn rates of a certain mon, especially throughout all the regions like it can in PoGo. It'd be a great way to motivate people to not only focus on comp, but also go for some of the more underrated pokemon that may not be so meta-viable.

And before you say that doing this would "break the market" with a shiny rate increase, here's where I tell you why that wouldn't be the case. Since it's a community day for a specific pokemon, that means that Pokemon and ONLY that pokemon gets the increased shiny rate during the 3-hour window, meaning every other pokemon retains their 1/30k chance of being shiny.

11 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Ok, so I"m sure a few of you play(or have played) Pokemon Go, hate or like. And I'm sure some of those players are familiar with Community Days, where on a certain day in the month, for a 3-hour window, a certain pokemon species(Cyndaquil, Dratini, Pikachu, etc.) has higher spawn rates and a slightly increased shiny rate.

Here's where the idea comes in:

I think we should have a similar type of monthly event on PokeMMO. Where on one day of every month(weekend would be recommended, but it's ultimately the devs' decision for when), for a 3-hour window, a certain Pokemon species(first stage pokemon most likely) will get some spotlight. And during that 3-hour time, that Pokemon and that Pokemon ONLY will have an increased shiny rate, since without abilities there isn't exactly a way to increase spawn rates of a certain mon, especially throughout all the regions like it can in PoGo. It'd be a great way to motivate people to not only focus on comp, but also go for some of the more underrated pokemon that may not be so meta-viable.

And before you say that doing this would "break the market" with a shiny rate increase, here's where I tell you why that wouldn't be the case. Since it's a community day for a specific pokemon, that means that Pokemon and ONLY that pokemon gets the increased shiny rate during the 3-hour window, meaning every other pokemon retains their 1/30k chance of being shiny.

Hello Bolt, even with this suggestion, this will still break the market. If shiny rates increase by a few points on a certain hour on a certain day, then it will still have negative consequences. Also, If you lower down the shiny rates for an hour or two, it will still have repercussions.

If you don't let the shiny Pikachu market break, but yet we break the Dratini market, this will still not make this right. I would like for you to take home this point, this is not a single player game. Shiny rates should not be increased because this will cause more shinies to be in the market place. Owners of shiny Dratini will be angry that their pokemon is not as valuable as before due to this mechanic. There may be a ton of complaints like "why Devs did you make my shiny easier to obtain? I am losing a lot of money!" and the responsibility will lay on you if this feature does take place. Full Disclosure, I do not have any ownership in shiny Dratini market, but I own some shinies

In conclusion, I have a question to ask, why are you making a lot of shiny suggestions? I assume that the reason is a personal one. If I am right, then buy Donor Status from the Gift Shop and start using it while you search for the shiny you want. We should not break the shiny market because of you wanting a shiny yourself at the expense of others.

43 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

Hello Bolt, even with this suggestion, this will still break the market. If shiny rates increase by a few points on a certain hour on a certain day, then it will still have negative consequences. Also, If you lower down the shiny rates for an hour or two, it will still have repercussions.

If you don't let the shiny Pikachu market break, but yet we break the Dratini market, this will still not make this right. I would like for you to take home this point, this is not a single player game. Shiny rates should not be increased because this will cause more shinies to be in the market place. Owners of shiny Dratini will be angry that their pokemon is not as valuable as before due to this mechanic. There may be a ton of complaints like "why Devs did you make my shiny easier to obtain? I am losing a lot of money!" and the responsibility will lay on you if this feature does take place. Full Disclosure, I do not have any ownership in shiny Dratini market, but I own some shinies

In conclusion, I have a question to ask, why are you making a lot of shiny suggestions? I assume that the reason is a personal one. If I am right, then buy Donor Status from the Gift Shop and start using it while you search for the shiny you want. We should not break the shiny market because of you wanting a shiny yourself at the expense of others.

Firstly, I've already gotten Donator Status and found it to be a waste of reward points since it contributed nothing towards my shiny hunting. The whole time I had donator status, 0 shinies. And I'm currently on my 4th attempt at a shiny caterpie and so far am stuck on 4,200 encounters(previous 3 I gave up at 6k each time respectively).

Secondly, the market impact would be like the premier ball situation. Those things were rather low in price during the halloween event since everyone could get them via goody bags. But now since it's been a while since the halloween event's conclusion, they're back up at a rather high price(60k at least). Same case would go for the specific shiny pokemon. Yes, it would lose some value, but it would go back up over time.

Thirdly, I mentioned that this could be an opportunity to give some spotlight to some underrated pokemon. Such as Sunkern, Caterpie, Zigzagoon, etc. Doesn't mean that the devs HAVE to make dratini or another valuable pokemon one of those mons.

Fourthly, if they do end up adding this in, we still wouldn't know what the increase would look like. It could be a raise to 1/15k or 1/8k, but we wouldn't know because that would be up to the devs.

Edited by BoltBlades12
18 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Firstly, I've already gotten Donator Status and found it to be a waste of reward points since it contributed nothing towards my shiny hunting. The whole time I had donator status, 0 shinies. And I'm currently on my 4th attempt at a shiny caterpie and so far am stuck on 4,200 encounters(previous 3 I gave up at 6k each time respectively).

Secondly, the market impact would be like the premier ball situation. Those things were rather low in price during the halloween event since everyone could get them via goody bags. But now since it's been a while since the halloween event's conclusion, they're back up at a rather high price(60k at least). Same case would go for the specific shiny pokemon. It would be a little less value, but would go back up over time.

Thirdly, I mentioned that this could be an opportunity to give some spotlight to some underrated pokemon. Such as Sunkern, Caterpie, Zigzagoon, etc. Doesn't mean that the devs HAVE to make dratini or another valuable pokemon one of those mons.

Fourthly, if they do end up adding this in, we still wouldn't know what the increase would look like. It could be a raise to 1/15k or 1/8k, but we wouldn't know because that would be up to the devs.

I had a gut feeling that I was right on my question. Donor Status does increase your chances of bumping into a shiny compared to the conventional way. If I may, I would like to address your concerns:

1. Addressed this in the second sentence of this post.

2. A pokemon is different from an item. Items can be used over time like the premier ball you mentioned, but pokemon can't be used up, thus they remain. The problem is that there is no check on the increase in the shiny quantity other than rates so I would rather have a high rate than the old Calvin Coolidge saying "a chicken in every pot." You may feel that this is the extreme case, but it looks like you want this.

3. People randomly encounter shinies and put their own spotlight on the shiny. I like Kingdra and use it as my mascot on my Roy Rogers News channel because it is a fancy seahorse pokemon, so it fits my brand. Shiny Rapidash reminds me of a horse that gallops even in the hard times, so I use it as my mascot for the Mayor Bestfriends YouTube channel. Everyone has their favourite shiny, so this feature is not needed. To keep this conversation honest, I have to disclose that I own shiny Linoone which evolves from Zigzagoon. I have no stake in the other shinies you mentioned. PokeMMO is a big place, so there is a good chance that there is someone out there that has a stake in Caterpie and Sunkern (or their evolutions).

4. PokeMMO is a popular pokemon MMO, so this could cause a lot of turmoil in valuations if we increase the shiny rate. We are not the only two people playing PokeMMO, there are thousands of people who log into PokeMMO.

I am sorry, but I cannot standby and let you suggest something that could be financially detrimental to the citizens of PokeMMO. Before you post a response, please keep in mind that this is not a single player game.

Edited by Bestfriends
clarification
4 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

ck on 4,200 encounters(previous 3 I gave up at 6k each time respectively).

considering the rate is 1/30k, you're far from it, so you can't really expect anything, and if in 4 months you did 10k encounters, you barely hunted. I did 600k+ at paras, and I probably have 50k+ breeds, never bothered counting the breeds, and I got nothing. I did 160k of piloswines for my first piloswine, and my second piloswine came within maybe 1k encounters of the other. 

That's odds, it's not a guaranteed thing. 

And shinnies in Pokemon GO have no value at all. Every kinda-active player (like me) have few of them and are happy to trade with random ppl just for a chance of good IV reroll. PokeMMO and Pokemon GO have only "Pokemon" in common, two entirely different games based around different mechanics, rewards and audience. 

11 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

[...] for a 3-hour window [...] for a 3-hour window [...] And during that 3-hour time [...] that means that Pokemon and ONLY that pokemon gets the increased shiny rate during the 3-hour window...

Think of country time difference, l'ami.

I'm afraid that suggestion cannot satisfy everyone with that procedure.

4 minutes ago, SneakyTeddi said:

I'm with Edniss on this xD there's no way we could do that in a way to satisfy everyone.

I don't fully understand why people want so bad to increase shiny rate. Shinies are supposed to be really hard to find. :/

Probably because they're purely cosmetic for the most part. Rarity is cool when obtention is feasible.

2 minutes ago, Barrage said:

Probably because they're purely cosmetic for the most part. Rarity is cool when obtention is feasible.

I get that, it's purely cosmetic but it's supposed to be something rare. It's just the concept of it xD I would understand if it wasn't so hard in the series, but it is. In 20 years playing pokemon I just found a shiny mareep, here on PokeMMO I found a shiny Meowth TuT hahaha

What I mean is..there's a few shinies I really want to have but if they were easier to find I wouldn't be so happy if I find them, you know? xD

18 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Secondly, the market impact would be like the premier ball situation. Those things were rather low in price during the halloween event since everyone could get them via goody bags. But now since it's been a while since the halloween event's conclusion, they're back up at a rather high price(60k at least). Same case would go for the specific shiny pokemon. Yes, it would lose some value, but it would go back up over time.

Premier balls were at 500k before halloween, and about 50k before we lost access to getting more. Your example is a poor example of supply/demand/consumable, since premier balls are a low(until halloween) supply, moderately decent demand and demand is constant since it's consumable. With shinies its low supply low demand and not consumable unless shiny breeding, so its a one and done thing which leads to prices dropping a lot due to high supply(relative) and low demand without any sustainable demand.

Edited by PhoenixNoah