[PSL] A Revisionist History Courtesy of the Hosts

fPaHkZS.png

What is this?

This is a thread dedicated to the PokeMMO Super League as a whole, with highlight reel matches and a discussion of what made the PSL good, bad, and downright ugly.

Why?

It's been 10 seasons and I felt we should really make this special event, well even more special.

Who?

All of the hosts, yes including the snake ThinkNice collaborated and made this a possibility.

What Now?

Enjoy the matches. Share your memories, and overall, enjoy =)

Included below are the answers to a few questions, as provided by our previous hosts:

@ThinkNice

Spoiler

It’s been years since the first three PSLs so my memory is a little foggy, I’ll do my best to answer the questions.

What's your favorite PSL memory?

There was so much work involved in setting up the groundwork for the PSL. Of course a lot of the work can be traced back to the Smogon Premier League. Still the rules had to be converted to match PokeMMO, since it’s not a simple simulation platform like Showdown. Then all the Google Spreadsheets needed to be made as well. The crazy part is, I had no guarantee that all this work was going to pay off. Literally 10k+ words written and it could all be wasted time. But it wasn’t, in fact it has been such a success that it is still going strong.

Sometimes I hear from PinkWings ‘oh and the PSL –insert number- has started’ it still brings a little smile to my face. I regret not having the time to get back into it. Having been part of the PSL (as organizer or competitor) has been my best online experience.  

Therefore my favorite memory of the PSL is that it is not a memory.

What made PSL great for you?

I remember the game felt a little stale during the period of the first PSL. I feel like the PSL put some fire back into the competitive scene, maybe even the game in general. It felt amazing to see 50+ people gathered in one spot for a single match. It got people talking again with lots of excitement. Theorycrafting, betting, talking match-ups or talking smack , it all came together during a PSL season.

In the later seasons the PSL also had a certain ‘prestige’ assigned to it. It became something for players to strive for, a measurement for players to note their progress. Like getting excited to see managers putting thousands of credits on your name. ‘Maybe I can play another tier next season?’ or ‘Next season I’m gonna break 10k credits.’

Though bringing back fierce competitiveness is great, the PSL is even better in getting the community together. Players from different teams working together, because they are in the same PSL team. Multiple people donating for the prize pool. People joining in on the banter. Community managers joining in on the fun, and also helping managers out with managing threads. In the end the PSL is a product of the community and it can’t exist without it.

What was the worst part about PSL?

Constantly updating spreadsheets was definitely not a fun task. I remember the first auction taking like 6 hours, because I was doing everything on my own. It takes a lot of time and consistency. The worst part however is dealing with toxic players. With a huge competition like the PSL it is bound to happen. As the organizer you have to be strict yet fair, I hope that I’ve managed to do that. It’s not easy, because sometimes you have to make decisions that could impact your friends negatively too. In the end, the responsibility lies with the organizer. As such you have to be as unbiased and cold as possible, at times.

Who was your favorite manager?

Most of the managers I knew have been amazing, it is hard to pick a favorite. I really liked Elcoolio, manager of Spheal Team Six. Luckily I was drafted by him as well in season 4! He always played the auction very well and ended up with a team that didn’t have star players, but certainly capable of winning any matchup.

DoubleJJ from Team Mountain sticks out to me as well. I remember the second season going catastrophically bad for his team, they ended the season without a single win. Yet JJ kept his team in line and showed much positivity and sportsmanship. I found this admirable and it was great to see that a team doing THIS BAD still had fun in the competition. His team has also been a running joke since then and I sincerely hope that’s still the case.

Who was your favorite player?

There are so many players I can mention. Skill wise you had people like Bowser or OldKeith, who where almost unbeatable in their preferred tiers. One of my favorite creative players was Forfiter, who always came up with unorthodox strategies to use. He is also a very sportsmanlike player, showing respect to his opponents and helping out his whole team. I feel like he has been a player that really embraced the spirit of the PSL.

Which season was your favorite?

Probably season 2. It is when the PSL really bloomed and when it really started to garner everyone’s attention. I also had more experience hosting and had a little more help, which smoothed out the experience. I think I’ve had over 100 sign ups, it was an insane number for an unofficial event to have at that time. This is also what started to give the PSL its prestigious image. Unlike most events you’re not guaranteed to get in, you have to proof that you are worthy of being drafted! 

Also Team Mountain Rubble

Which season was your least favorite?

I hate season 5 and beyond because I couldn’t be part of it! Wah! UGUU

@OrangeManiac

Spoiler
1. What's your favorite PSL memory? - Really hard to pick one. Probably being a manager in season 3. Had a really awesome group of people who were willing to work together, despite everyone being complete strangers to each other. Bunch of people I looked upon in terms of competitive game were suddenly on my team and felt really excited being able to lead that ship. 

2. What made PSL great for you? - Just the co-operation with players to improve themselves and their PSL teammates outside of the in-game teams. That has to be the biggest one. I kind of disliked how the teams limited people to become friends with people outside of their team, which I guess is normal, teams are kind of made to put groups of people together but having it extended with something like PSL was always something very cool. 

3. What was the worst part about PSL? - Drama. PSL had lots of it and lots of very unnecessary kind of drama. Sure, any competition gets emotions heated up, especially if there's some intervention from adminstrative side to affect the competition by disciplinary action, for example. Sometimes those actions were just needed. Often the drama just got way out of hand, and the lack of civil discussion was so often the problem. Drama just cause more drama and suddenly everyone were in each other's throats. Not easy to proceed to have a high-spirited competitive season. 

4. Who was your favorite manager? - Forfi. Was ready to breed me any ideas I had for Little Cup comps, can't really ask more from a manager. Never questioned even my wildest ideas and was ready to help me during my busy schedule.

5. Who was your favorite player? - Well, this is incredibly hard. Frags has to be up there. In my opinion, the best player to ever play this game but seems like such a humble guy, even though I haven't talked to him really all THAT much. Sometimes had lucky wins against him and he never made an issue about it, something that really shows great sportsmanship in this kind of a game. Obviously, I could list bunch of friends here but I guess if I had to namedrop someone I think were doing it really well as a player, I'd have to say Frags. 

6. Which season was your favorite? - Either the first one or this one. PSL as a new idea felt so awesome and it was so fresh and hype off the start. This season I had probably the best team spirit I've sensed from a PSL team, so both are good. 

7. Which season was your least favorite? - I can't even remember its number. I think it was 7th, I guess? The one with lots of drama and I ended up being part of it more than I probably should have, which just left a really bad taste to me.(edited)

@Gunthug

Spoiler

So many to choose from. I think the answer is clear though – the PSL season 2 auction. While I played an incredibly minor role in the first season, PSL 2 was kind of my coming out party – for pokeMMO in general. I applied for manager and got the nod, and the auction system was quite different than it is now. Basically, it was all held on the forums, and you could place bids on any player with a 100,000 credit limit via forum post. Once you posted, if no one outbid you for 24 hours, that player was yours for that price. This opened up a great deal of flexibility when it came to working together with other managers – sometimes for your own gain, and sometimes to the detriment of your rivals.

I believe it was my savvy performance during this auction – securing flavajabari for well under his value, nabbing previously unknown Raaidn for just 17k, pulling off a flurry of moves late that secured thefirelion for me while forcing others to overpay for thinknice and amanu – that helped carry me to the PSL2 championship. It was logistically difficult to do that auction style, but I sincerely hope we go back to it someday.

What has always made PSL great for me is the people. Since its inception, I’ve always been astonished at the sincerity and effort people put into this unofficial tournament, moreso than you would see go into basically any official tournament. Why? It’s hard to explain. Maybe because PSL was created by the players, for the players, it gave the competition a little more meaning. Maybe it was the combination of personal glory and team comradery that appealed so much to participants. Whatever it is, PSL has always been the absolute pinnacle of pokeMMO competitive play, and I hope it stays that way.

The cheating scandals, although they provided quite a bit of drama which was often juicy and entertaining. The problem was, that they eroded the integrity of the competition and made people lose their faith and trust that it would truly be an individual competition, a measuring stick for individual talent.

Definitely thefirelion. He managed several times, and basically had every kind of season imaginable – from back to back champion, to last place. No matter the result, though, he was always fiery (hah) and poured all of his passion into each and every week. He was always entertaining behind the scenes, even if frustrating at times for a host, and never backed down from a challenge or wavered in his support for his players. What a legend.

I think Sweet has been my favorite player to watch since he started playing. Not only has he continuously showed dominance in my favorite tier (DPP), he’s also proven that he can literally play ANY tier, and immediately be feared and competitive no matter the opponent. You just don’t see that kind of versatility very often. Plus, he always gets it done with entertaining and unique sets and team builds, which is always a good thing from an entertainment standpoint.

Which season was your favorite? –

Heavy bias here, but season 2 will always hold a special place in my heart. Thug Life 4ever

Which season was your least favorite? –

I don’t really have a least favorite season. Each one has, at the time, been the only real thing tying me to this wonderful game.

@DoubleJ

Spoiler

1. What's your favorite PSL memory?

Honestly speaking, there are just too many to even choose from, so I’ll rehash some of my favorite memories season to season.

The inaugural PSL season was hosted by ThinkNice and was pretty damn exclusive. 6 teams with 6 managers and 6 players for a grand total of 42 players involved. It was neat though because ThinkNice was also gathering usage from every player and using it toward tiering. The best part of this season was Mauru (a known shiny trader) being picked for manager and then drafting me to essentially manage his team for him. He promised all his team members a Shiny Metapod (we were the “Maniacal Metapods” or some shit like that), but in the end only Ploegy and Pinkwings got their shiny. I was left in the dirt despite all the work I put in. And you wonder why I turned out the way I did.

PSL2 was a completely different story. JJ was a manager (thanks to Riga dropping out) and Team Mountain was born, which honestly was my favorite memory. We weren’t half bad but Archinix fucked us over when he decided to not play his Week 7 match which could have gotten us into the playoffs. RIP.

PSL3 can be summed in the following quote by the great Robofiend “No other team has the Mt. Everest of Suck that Team Mountain has set to climb”… our first week we got beat 8-0. We were arguably the worst team until the Season 4 Heroes of Light couldn’t even muster a tie. My favorite memory was all the HYPE when Kiliminati fought JSTUD in BW2 OU and I went balls to the wall with bets. We all knew Kili was going to bring a broken Espeon Baton Pass team just because of all the fake confidence he brought to the table and because he was bad. JSTUD made a perfect counter team which included Unaware Clefable, but sadly my brother practiced with ThinkNice right before the match started and got railed, which meant he changed his team and inevitably lost to Kili’s broken squad. Ironically it was EricTheGreat who bailed me out of debt at the price of my LYLE Helmet, I eventually paid him back and he returned my helm, but that was something very few people ever knew about.

PSL4 was the season of OrangeManiac and it was so sad to see how terribly he was treated as host. He truly did a good job but he got beat down by all the nasty shit that comes with hosting such a big event. My favorite memory was the fact that Eggplant’s Heroes of Light did shittier than Team Mountain the season prior. We weren’t the worst team afterall. Oh, this was also the season Linken dropped over 60,000 of his total 100,000 credits on Frags and I. We weren’t half bad, los Mariachis ftw?!

PSLV was hosted by Gunt and that “V” was coined by me. He stole it, but that’s ok. Anyhoos, Mr. Mickey Mouse hands got manhandled behind the scenes by a nasty group of managers he selected. That was the birth of the Iron Fists of JJ the following season which led to a strict set of rules. My favorite memory was that of Kanzo and the Road Ninjas which came out of nowhere to go undefeated, but sadly lose to FireLion’s eventual championship team in the finals.

PSL6 was my first that I hosted and was honestly great. We had a lot of good drama which included the infamous Earthquake that struck the hearts of Aura or when Doc tried to blackmail me by dropping out just to get a rule change (I held strong and he caved). We were donated an incredible 65M+ that season and I was able to do a lot of gimmicky shit with it. It was a blast!

PSL7 was a complete other story. Gbwead showed up as the nastiest man to ever walk the Earth and called me a select few things that I probably wouldn’t ever repeat. He was a solid manager but gosh was he nasty. This all culminated when Zeikooo was drafted by Gb and soon after Gb asked my small council and I if he could “release him after being bought” in midseason. This was a major red flag. I remember waking up that morning to a few paragraphs between Gunthug and Orange who wanted to take action. I eventually agreed and together we decided to not allow Gb to draft Zeikooo in midseason. Gb lost his shit and ironically, Eric who eventually picked up Zeikooo never even played him. It was a shit show, but I loved it.

PSL8 was hosted by Zebra and was pretty damn boring, but it featured the return of JJ as a manager and with that, some juicy drama. After the chaos of last season, I was able to buy Gb in the auction for a mere 8k. It was priceless and even more so when I had him playing Doubles, a tier he notoriously hated on publicly. We ended up working together very well and he even became the Doubles Player of the Season. I might still hate him, but I’d also consider him my friend.

PSL9 was an incredible season tbh. It had a great turnout, some awesome HYPE with the new region, and a competitive cast of players and managers. Unfortunately, it got a little too competitive and a little too scummy. I fucked up and was busted cheating to help my squad in the playoffs. Then other players were caught cheating and well the season was a wash. I cancelled it. My favorite memory though was becoming friends with Pinklabel and personally asking Rache and Noad to consider him as a CM, because that was something he really wanted. Sadly he stabbed me in the back a couple weeks later.

PSLX was pretty boring, but it was good to see the PSL back up and running well enough. Lkrenz, Mkns, and Bluebreath all did a great job. As well as the ghost host.

2. What made PSL great for you?

The competitive spirit of it all. Players from every corner of the world and from every in-game team came together to join up and duel for one another no matter how much they hated or loved one another.

3. What was the worst part about PSL?

All of the uguuing. It really started in PSL3, but escalated from PSL4-7. Players who weren’t even participating were taking shots at the hosts, the rules, and difficult decisions. It made for a very toxic environment when at the end of the day the PSL was being put together for the fun of the game.

4. Who was your favorite manager?

Probably Parke. Of all the managers that I had the pleasure of playing for and also working with as a host, Parke put the most effort in. This guy was breeding comps, loaning cash, teambuilding with multiple players, scouting opponents, keeping our discord alive, sharing awesome sigs, and basically just doing it all. If it weren’t for our hyper-competitive personalities, we could have really had something special in Season 9.

5. Who was your favorite player?

A bit biased here, but KingBowser. He always prepared for the PSL to the best of his ability and really shined with his creative flair. This is a player that once went undefeated in a season having played every single tier. He always went for the big bucks and was a huge personality as well. Never forget Dual Pistolas.

6. Which season was your favorite?

If it weren’t for the ending, I might say Season 9, but because of that I’ll go with the season KaynineXL drafted me and yubell. It was an absolute blast behind the scenes.

7. Which season was your least favorite?

Definitely a tie between Season V and Season X, and for the same reason. In PSLV Lion drafted me and just abandoned us as a manager. We had a rocky start and his absence didn’t help anything. We eventually flunked out. PSLX featured our manager Lifestyle who was MIA nearly the entire time, only to come into our discord and make fun of anyone that lost. I had a lot of excitement coming into the season, but it quickly died. We had a chance to make the playoffs, but everyone lost interest at the most crucial time. It was a toxic team for anyone trying to do well.

@BurntZebra

Spoiler

1. It’s hard to pinpoint a favorite PSL memory since it’s been a part of my PokeMMO life since mid 2014. I have a lot of fond memories of season 1, partially because it’s the first time I experienced PSL. I remember seeing the thread ThinkNice posted and was like “wow this is pretty neat”. I saw the different tiers that I could play. I knew I wouldn’t have high odds of being picked if I just played OU because there were only 6 teams and 6 players on the lineup at a time, so I ended up learning ADV OU. I was grinding the ADV OU ladder hard every day after school, playing the same people over and over again. A guy named skarmoryy, a guy named Drake Seawood, some Aw players (pel/frags), and the occasional Linken-skywalker. I got to #2 on the ADV OU ladder and I felt like I had enough ADV OU prowess to get picked in PSL, and it turns out I did. I remember being so nervous for my first PSL match, for no reason really. It was an easy win because I’m amazing and Tyrone is bad. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3oubeta-107941369 if you want to relive history. Besides season 1, I will always remember some of the matches I played in season 7/8 vs some high caliber players like yubel/osuki/frags/raaidn/epicverde/mlhawk etc. 

2. I’ve been around since the birth of PSL, back when I was lucky to go for 2k in the auction in 2014. PSL felt really magical for me back then because it was so different from anything else I had experienced from PokeMMO. In 2014, all staff-run tournaments were hosted at Silph Co Ch 7 and there were always big turnouts for tournaments and there was always plenty of banter in normal chat during them. The forums at the time felt a bit underutilized at the time, only being used for the occasional unofficial tournament and to sign up for official tournaments. PSL was able to fill this gap on the forums and became a reason to visit the forums and also take advantage of the active competitive community. Everyone involved in PSL felt so involved and dedicated with PSL. PSL was also a unique competitive format compared to any tournament that had existed. Every tournament was just a one day event and one person would be crowned victorious at the end of the day. PSL went on for 2+ months and required different skills than normal tournament play, which also made it great.

3. The worst part about PSL is realizing that with each passing season, I get less excited for new seasons. In season 1, I was a young bright-eyed competitive player who hadn’t really made a name for myself, and I looked up to the bigger names that were apart of PSL, like Amanu/frags/bowser/senile. I was so excited to get picked for this event, even if it was a measly 2.5k. I finally had a chance to make a name for myself and felt included in the competitive community. After season 1, I started going for more credits and felt more pressure to win, and I felt worse about my losses, but I still had fun. At a certain point, I no longer looked up to the big names and the magic around PSL diminished. I still liked being a part of PSL because I liked keeping up to date on PokeMMO and liked playing it. This changed when unova rolled around and the update wasn’t really all that great. Sure there was a new region, but we were missing pokemon, moves, abilities, items, hidden abilities, team preview, and legendaries. This combined with my declining interest in the game due to increased life responsibilities just killed any drive left I had to play the game. As I reflect now on season 10, I’d say it has run decently smoothly, but it’s still probably my least favorite season. Maybe its nostalgia for the older seasons+older player+old generation, but there was something I didn’t like about this season. Maybe it was the slew of new players who thought they were top shit after getting 2nd place in a community combat. 

4. I don’t have the best memory about all of the managers in the past 10 seasons of PSL, but one I do remember is Kizhaz during season 6. About halfway through the season, Rigamorty’s team was failing so he decided to trade off his best players to give them a chance to win. People saw this as an unfair advantage because the trades were heavily in favor of the person receiving Riga’s players. Some teams came away with a big advantage after the trades happened. Kizhaz had the opportunity to do some trades, but he stuck to his guns and kept all of his players, and it worked out. He beat out the rest of the competition and won PSL S6, without doing a single trade.

If only this question was about the worst manager, then I could give a few good answers. Torinnnn gets a good mention when he was manager as he went to jail for a solid month without telling me (the captain). sfSkump gets a mention when he quit during week 2/3 of PSL and never came back. Lifestyle also gets a mention when he was never supportive of anyone on the team for the entire season and blamed everyone for their losses, when he contributed nothing to the team. 

5. My favorite player would have to be Frags. He’s been around since the beginning of PSL and has always been a big player. He hasn’t played in the past 2 seasons of PSL, but I imagine he still contributes here and there. There are a few things that a player needs to be good. They need to be an innovator, have common sense, and be intelligent. A lot of competitive players these days are neither of these characteristics. Frags popularized a lot of sets and became a trendsetter for multiple tiers. People thought “wow frags runs generic teams”, but in reality, they became generic because they were such good teams/sets that everyone else copied them. He had a few good seasons of success in PSL, although people were usually attempting to run cheap strategies vs him like drum Charizard/linoone etc, since they knew they couldn’t outplay Frags in a fair game.

6. As for overall favorite season, I would have to say season 1, mostly because of what I said in my answers to question 2/3. Season 8 gets an honorable mention because it had a really cool host and the guy who won best overall player was a pretty cool guy.

7. I suppose I already answered this in a previous question, but I can elaborate further here. Seasons 9 and 10 both were lackluster for me. The unova update required a lot of revamping of competitive pokemon, which I didn’t really have the time for, so I was out of touch with the PokeMMO metas. I just felt out of touch with the community as a whole, perhaps because the old generation of players were being phased out and the new generation were coming in. During these seasons, I felt more nostalgic about the old seasons where I knew every player in PSL and I knew every tier’s meta. PSL is a lot less hype when you don’t know who half of the players are.

@xXBlu3BreathXx

Spoiler

1. Gotta be flamethrower in heavy rain, Isaac a god.

2. Having high level competition outside of official events.

3. People breaking the integrity of PSL by coaching/ghosting, committing such acts defeats the purpose of PSL.

4. Pretty hard one for me, I will just go off by the ones that were managing me in the past to make it simpler. In this case it would have to be OldKeith. Might be showing some bias because he is a close friend of mine but he really helped out the team with builds and going out of his way to make mons for his players.

5. Me of course. In all seriousness I would have to hand this out to NikhilR. Always enjoy watching him play and is a great character.

6. Probably PSL 4, this was the time I think I improved the most as a player. And I'm pretty sure this was the season Isaac used flamethrower in heavy rain.

7. I think most people would say 9, but for the most part it was a pretty good season. I would have to personally pin my least favourite season as season 8, not because it was bad in general but just because I had a pretty poor season myself. I remember having a sweep after a long drawn match only to have it destroyed by an ice punch freeze. Pretty much tilted by RNG that season but what can you do about it?

@MknsZblex

Spoiler

What was your favorite PSL memory and why?

Even though I started playing back in 2013, my PSL experience is relatively small compared to others. I believe the first time I heard of the event was during PSL 4; a mate ig told me about it, but at the time the concept didn’t strike me as interesting. It’s only when I came back to the game in 2016 after a break that I really wanted to compete against other players and PSL seemed the natural way to do so.
My favorite PSL memory is from season 8 (my second season); I ended up on a team with tons of good players and the atmosphere was just great. Oldkeith had done a good job. I can’t really pin point a specific moment that made the season great for me because I finished with a 1-2 ratio (faced Frags twice and lost one of these duels on hax). What matters the most in a team is the team spirit. I remember that Oldkeith proposed at some point to create an IG team and do a TT together.
Being used to block all chats except team chat, I got to know a ton of new players.

Which season was your favorite and why?

If some of the events went down differently, If last PSL season didn't end up on such a bad note, I would choose that season as my favorite. Why? Well, as a manager, when you succeed at creating a team of players coming from all around the world, not necessarily the best players of the game, and with that team you manage to create a great atmosphere as well as getting great results, you really can only be happy. Considering all the efforts provided by my players to get the PSL title for me, it doesn’t matter if the season in general was a complete disaster; for me, as a manager and for my team, it was a great success.

Who did you feel was the best manager/player ever and why?

That's a tough question.
When it comes to the best manager, you have to put yourself in the shoes of all players which is impossible because you can only have one team at a time. This season, the hosts were able to spectate and observe how managers and players interacted with each other on discord. This allowed us to see how each manager did which is a good thing imo. But overall, there is really no good answer to this question.
When it comes to the best player, we are talking about someone that prepares himself beforehand, someone that can adapt quickly to their opponent, someone who can listen to others, because a good player is not necessarily someone that plays, the ones that scout for others, teambuild or train are also great PSL players. A good PSL player is a player that not only wants to win, but also wants to see his mates win. Well, you also need skills and a decent connexion in order to be good.

What did you like least about the PSL and why?

I might be one of the few players that has experienced in a short amount of time all the PSL roles:
PSL 7  Bench Player, PSL 8  Player, PSL 9  Manager and PSL X  Host.

So, here is what I disliked the most about each role.

-Any bought player in PSL should play because, if they don’t, they should not even be there. If your manager doesn’t trust you, you need to prove yourself to him. A player that doesn’t have a spot in a team, but doesn’t even attempt to get a spot should not even be part of the team.Well, sometimes it does happen that a manager picks an awful player, but that’s really the manager’s fault

-When a player complains that the cash prize is small, there is nothing wrong, but if that player didn’t even donate, he/she can suck my uguu because it’s important to remember that PSL would be impossible without the generous donations. If each player gives something like 500k, 200k or even 100k, the cash prize would be much larger.

What made the PSL special to you?

As I stated before, what makes PSL great for me is that it forces everyone to separate from their ig team and create another team for a short period.
Before the merge of TN and RNG to create SIÂ, I stayed 5 years in TN. During PSL, players can form new bonds, and everything becomes smoother.
From the player’s perspective, everyone wants to win, the challenge is what brought us here and PSL is the best platform to display your skills and with some luck you can beat basically anyone.

@LKrenz

Spoiler

1. What's your favorite PSL memory? My favorite psl memory takes place in season 6, week 7 of the regular season. I was playing dubs and had a 5-1 record, my rival was Rendiz who had a 6-0 record in dubs, so we we're playing for the MVP. I remember he brought scizor and I ran an hp fire metagross that no one expected. I won and I obtained my first MVP in psl. I also enjoyed a lot winning psl as manager, but being a player it's definitely more enjoyable

2. What made PSL great for you? It's amazing how psl creates new friendships and rivalries. I love the ambient, a lot of players working together to achieve a goal and suffering in each game as if I were playing, encouraging and helping teammates as much as possible and the most important thing: trashtalk.

3. What was the worst part about PSL? The worst part was trying to manage(and then cancelling) season 9 after the whole drama, it just felt so bad, details aren't needed. But overall, the worst part is always when your team gets knocked out and all your effort during the season is thrown away.

4. Who was your favorite manager? Zebra and pbc were two excellent managers. Both helped the team a lot, had discussions, scouted for us, etc. Both contributed with their respective teams as most as they could and that's the most respectable thing anyone can do. Obviously everyone can make mistakes or do things that shouldn't but it is understandable, it is difficult to see your own team is being eliminated.

5. Who was your favorite player? Walpayer. The guy has the best record in psl history and carried his team to the championship. He was in his best moment and was one of the best players I've ever seen. He played he played every game in an excellent way and was one of the hardest players to beat.

6. Which season was your favorite? Probably season 7, it was my first season as captain, I played for Eric's team. I put a lot of effort on that team every week a and for every match. I liked a lot everything I did and we performed well. We lost in playoffs vs gb's team(Fuck you encanto). Individually, I had a good record and the season had a good ambient in every aspect.

7. Which season was your least favorite? Does it need to be said?

The Highlight Reel

The Hosts vs The Best (And Some Scrubs Too)

PokeMMO OU: BlueBreath vs Schuchty

PokeMMO UU: Mkns vs ZDFire

PokeMMO NU: DoubleJ vs AurumPegasus

PokeMMO Dubs: Lkrenz vs iJulianFNT

PokeMMO LC: Burntzebra vs YettoDie

Showdown DPP: Gunthug vs NikhilR

Showdown ADV: ThinkNice vs Frags

Showdown VGC19: OrangeManiac vs gbwead

We as former hosts wanted to do something special, and thus these matches were born. 

Unfortunately SweeTforU was unable to play DPP, so NikhilR was substituted in his place. He's ok I guess.

We selected Frags to play ThinkNice in ADV, because well HYPE. It's a pleasure just to get both players back for this event.

I asked Forf to fill in to play VGC cuz well... obvious reasons... but he was a beta male and so Gbwead stepped up to the plate.

These matches can be done at any time, but I would love to have them recorded and saved here until time immemorial.

The winner of each match will receive 250k from the PSLX prizepool.

Any further donations will be greatly appreciated.

Bets are highly encouraged.

HYPE?!

Deadline: Any Time.

Attention:

Edited by DoubleJ
Spoiler

Team Revolution and the first 8-0 in the history of PSL in which I took part. I remember that match almost like it was yesterday, I 6-0d JonazDK who joined Lyle not long before the match took place. The team had amazing potential if only our leader wouldn't follow Harambe's steps :(

The people who actually make it what it is. I met a a huge amount of people, tightened the bonds with my old friends like Orange or Nik and I learned a lot from them while also sharing my own ideas and perspectives. I've always joined PSL for people, though I'd like to finally win something (maybe one day rng will allow this to happen?)

For me it was terrible host decisions, which somehow always seemed to struck either me or my team or were straight up unfair. The earthquake bullshit pulled by jj was probably the pinnacle of idiotism if I ever saw it, same when it came for several bans- I remember how a punishment was not handed to Des for not showing up to his fight, while I'm like 200% sure I would get punished for something like that.

If jj would be hosting this season, then I surely wouldn't join it.

Other memories which I'm very not fond of include jj's whining about Aura not donating to PSL (which our team has been doing for the first 5 or 6 seasons), almost as if he demanded for us to pay. A lot of us in teamchat decided back then not to throw a single penny to that cause due to such childish behavior.

And finally the last, most unpleasant memory which ended up destroying entire season. No thanks jj.

I got 2 types for that, despite playing all 10 seasons. In my last season, Toast was an amazing manager who was with us literally 24/7, teambuilding, sparring, lending comps and much more. But I think that the best manager I've ever had was Doc- and I think a lot of people who were on his team would agree with this. Doc was just straight up an amazing manager in every aspect.

Either Walpayer, who was an absolute beast 2 seasons in a row, singlehandely leading Lions to victory OR Nik- due to his amazing personality, versatility, team spirit and character. Walpayer went MIA though, so in this situation I'm saying Nik, this is a guy every manager or player would want to have on his/ her team.

Which season was your favorite?

The one hosted by Orange. I've been repeating it multiple times, this was the best season I played this far with far less bullshit to deal with, at least compared to few last seasons. Orange was an understanding person with the right competitive spirit and position among community to host it. The season hosted by Gunt falls very short behind Orange's.

First one lol when Senile decided that playing Eric instead of me is a jolly good idea #ripqwilfish

Somehow my worst memories in PSL are tied to a certain person... :thonking:

Spoiler

19d155a3800e3713244272b7ad84fc4b.png

Maybe if you would've asked a different person to approach me with this, I'd agree lol

Edited by RysPicz
I embarris.

Well you got me here so I’ll share some memories starting with the og season. I still remember being one of the first matches, maybe even the first I honestly can’t remember, but nevertheless we had like 30 people in a ts channel and it was the hypest shit tbh. I totally had to leave the channel cuz it was too loud but that was the first of several matches that season I would sweep with a pikachu in uu

PSL 2 when I somehow went for 25k yet was god awful all season lmao. Never forget that 75k was spent on 3 players on that team. Good job TJ

PSL 3 where I was put in adv as a joke and was god awful but it was pretty damn funny. Never forget that blind metagross friends. It haunts me to this day

and of course PSL 6 when I made my brief comeback and proved myself as an adv player. The dooms were a fun team to be on and it’s still sad that we ended with two best overall players in their respective tiers and didn’t make the playoffs but hey I’ll take being the last best adv ou player PSL has had

Not sure if you wanted these here but I saw share memories so take them

Edited by Ploegy
3 hours ago, Lazaaro said:

how about depending on donations and letting pslx winners get the full prizepool 

I gotta agree with this, people did donate to actual PSL season with intentions of giving it more hype and value. I'm all for some spin-off showmatches like these but I have to agree taking 2 mil from the main prizepool for this might be unfair for the PSL finalists.

Would be 4/10 if Jj would upload my answers 

actually here I'll just do it

So many to choose from. I think the answer is clear though – the PSL season 2 auction. While I played an incredibly minor role in the first season, PSL 2 was kind of my coming out party – for pokeMMO in general. I applied for manager and got the nod, and the auction system was quite different than it is now. Basically, it was all held on the forums, and you could place bids on any player with a 100,000 credit limit via forum post. Once you posted, if no one outbid you for 24 hours, that player was yours for that price. This opened up a great deal of flexibility when it came to working together with other managers – sometimes for your own gain, and sometimes to the detriment of your rivals.

I believe it was my savvy performance during this auction – securing flavajabari for well under his value, nabbing previously unknown Raaidn for just 17k, pulling off a flurry of moves late that secured thefirelion for me while forcing others to overpay for thinknice and amanu – that helped carry me to the PSL2 championship. It was logistically difficult to do that auction style, but I sincerely hope we go back to it someday.

What has always made PSL great for me is the people. Since its inception, I’ve always been astonished at the sincerity and effort people put into this unofficial tournament, moreso than you would see go into basically any official tournament. Why? It’s hard to explain. Maybe because PSL was created by the players, for the players, it gave the competition a little more meaning. Maybe it was the combination of personal glory and team comradery that appealed so much to participants. Whatever it is, PSL has always been the absolute pinnacle of pokeMMO competitive play, and I hope it stays that way.

The cheating scandals, although they provided quite a bit of drama which was often juicy and entertaining. The problem was, that they eroded the integrity of the competition and made people lose their faith and trust that it would truly be an individual competition, a measuring stick for individual talent.

Definitely thefirelion. He managed several times, and basically had every kind of season imaginable – from back to back champion, to last place. No matter the result, though, he was always fiery (hah) and poured all of his passion into each and every week. He was always entertaining behind the scenes, even if frustrating at times for a host, and never backed down from a challenge or wavered in his support for his players. What a legend.

I think Sweet has been my favorite player to watch since he started playing. Not only has he continuously showed dominance in my favorite tier (DPP), he’s also proven that he can literally play ANY tier, and immediately be feared and competitive no matter the opponent. You just don’t see that kind of versatility very often. Plus, he always gets it done with entertaining and unique sets and team builds, which is always a good thing from an entertainment standpoint.

Which season was your favorite? –

Heavy bias here, but season 2 will always hold a special place in my heart. Thug Life 4ever

Which season was your least favorite? –

I don’t really have a least favorite season. Each one has, at the time, been the only real thing tying me to this wonderful game.

Edited by Gunthug
On 11/27/2018 at 12:18 PM, RysPicz said:
  Hide contents

First one lol when Senile decided that playing Eric instead of me is a jolly good idea #ripqwilfish

Amanu getting fucking dunked on was a blast #ripqwilfish

playing for qwilfish was my probably my favourite though because it was the last time I ever actually played the game

managing was great too though, loved the people i met through my team and im glad i took chances on people like @Imabetheverybest1

15 hours ago, Vorred said:

Amanu getting fucking dunked on was a blast #ripqwilfish

playing for qwilfish was my probably my favourite though because it was the last time I ever actually played the game

managing was great too though, loved the people i met through my team and im glad i took chances on people like @Imabetheverybest1

Can't believe staff allowed shit name to exist but not cuboned ur mum 

On 11/28/2018 at 5:59 AM, Gunthug said:

Would be 4/10 if Jj would upload my answers 

actually here I'll just do it

Hide contents

<3