Shiny Hunting Idea

BoltBlades12

Question

This is a suggestion that could be beneficial for those who have/are currently shiny hunting and are discouraged:

There should be a bad luck incentive rate increase for those who've been getting the cold shoulder by the RNG. Allow me to elaborate:

There should be a system like this. Since the shiny rate is 1/30k, the way it'd work is that every 30,000 encounters you don't find a shiny, the shiny rate goes up by 1/30k, making it 2/30k. Then after another 30k encounters, it goes up to 3/30k, and so on and so forth. (Donator Status would merely give you a head start)

And here's the catch, the encounter you find a shiny pokemon(catch or fail), the counter resets back to the initial 1/30k, so that way the rate remains low, fair, and no abuse of odds increasing.

Edited by BoltBlades12

15 answers to this question

3 hours ago, MHkaserz said:

Should hit a maximum though, else you'd be able to hatch the shiny you want if it gets too high.

Yeah, that's true. Maybe a 1/10k maximum, I don't know. Though keep in mind, ONE shiny, whether you hatch, catch, or it runs from you in safari, would cause the rate to reset back to the initial. Also keep in mind, you'd have to do 30k encounters 20,000 times for the rate to actually become that simple. You'd be more likely to find a shiny and reset the rate within that time.

2 hours ago, PhoenixRebirth said:

But would it ever get that high, this is thirty thousand pokemon for a 1 point increase. That's a lot of pokemon. 

That's what would make it fair for the hardcore shiny hunters while at the same time would give the rng bad luckys the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by BoltBlades12

While a 'one point increase' may seem trivial at first glance, such a change would transform the ease in obtaining shiny's. Especially considering that in response to a greater influx of players, the shiny market is already perhaps not what it used to be with traders moving onto other options such as limited vanity. To maintain the balance of the game, what you have suggested would make shiny Pokemon  much more easier to obtain after 30,000 encounters by doubling and then tripling the shiny rate with respect to its normal value.

Edited by Linfanz
1 hour ago, Linfanz said:

While a 'one point increase' may seem trivial at first glance, such a change would transform the ease in obtaining shiny's. Especially considering that in response to a greater influx of players, the shiny market is already perhaps not what it used to be with traders moving onto other options such as limited vanity. To maintain the balance of the game, what you have suggested would make shiny Pokemon  much more easier to obtain after 30,000 encounters by doubling and then tripling the shiny rate with respect to its normal value.

2/30k isn't THAT drastic of a shiny rate change from 1/30k. Besides, to get that rate increase, you would have to run into 30k pokemon without encountering a single shiny. If you even find ONE wild shiny, whether you catch it or not, the rate would reset back to default. And like I said, it's more for the bad luck peeps who go for 240k encounters without a single shiny. That way their efforts are slowly, but surely amounting to something.

2 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

2/30k isn't THAT drastic of a shiny rate change from 1/30k. Besides, to get that rate increase, you would have to run into 30k pokemon without encountering a single shiny. If you even find ONE wild shiny, whether you catch it or not, the rate would reset back to default. And like I said, it's more for the bad luck peeps who go for 240k encounters without a single shiny. That way their efforts are slowly, but surely amounting to something.

This response is me thinking as a player and is not an official staff response.

But 2/30k is a drastic rate change over 1/30k. It is quite literally double the odds.

2/30k = 1/15k

3/30k = 1/10k

4/30k = 1/7.5k

The problem I see with this, is that a player could just quickly hit the first threshold by doing horde encounters. And then just switch to egg hatching after that to get any shiny.

I would maybe be more inclined to agree with a slight rng boost per 30k encounters dry, but... I'd probably just be more in favor of keeping the rate mechanics as-is.

I don't think you need to think too much about the specifics and the math of this suggestion.

The suggestion is basically "shiny rate that increases until you find a shiny, then resets".

And that is the only notion that a dev would retain from this suggestion.

Kyu would do his own math.

So there is little point in arguing "2/30k is too much" or too little or whatever.

9 hours ago, Gilan said:

But 2/30k is a drastic rate change over 1/30k. It is quite literally double the odds.

2/30k = 1/15k

3/30k = 1/10k

4/30k = 1/7.5k

The problem I see with this, is that a player could just quickly hit the first threshold by doing horde encounters. And then just switch to egg hatching after that to get any shiny.

I would maybe be more inclined to agree with a slight rng boost per 30k encounters dry, but... I'd probably just be more in favor of keeping the rate mechanics as-is.

I was using those numbers merely as an example. But the point I'm trying to make is that there should be a shiny rate that raises until you finally find one, mainly for the unlucky folks who go 150k+ encounters without finding one.

On 11/25/2018 at 9:25 AM, Gilan said:

2/30k = 1/15k

3/30k = 1/10k

4/30k = 1/7.5k

Gottem. Yeh this was also the first thing I noticed.

18 hours ago, BoltBlades12 said:

I was using those numbers merely as an example. But the point I'm trying to make is that there should be a shiny rate that raises until you finally find one, mainly for the unlucky folks who go 150k+ encounters without finding one.

Well your example basically suggests that each time you encounter the rate and not find a shiny it's cut in halve. Anyways with your idea shinies will be worthless. More worthless than they are right now.

Numbers are tooooo hot in this thread.

While the idea aint bad, I dont like it.

Like Goku said

2 hours ago, Goku said:

Anyways with your idea shinies will be worthless. More worthless than they are right now.

Tho i woudnt mind a small increase every 30k that goes somewhat along these numbers: 1/30k -> 1.005/30k -> 1.01/30k -> 1.015/30k... etc, until you reach the max cap at 1.1/30k.

To reach the shiny rate cap you would have to reach 600k encounters without a shiny. #FeelsFairMan

8 hours ago, Goku said:

Well your example basically suggests that each time you encounter the rate and not find a shiny it's cut in halve. Anyways with your idea shinies will be worthless. More worthless than they are right now.

Not at all, I was suggesting that the rate only increases each time you go 30,000 encounters without finding a single shiny. This idea would encourage people to keep shiny hunting knowing that eventually they will get one due to the odds slowly but surely being raised. And I also said once they find that shiny, the rate would reset back to default. So it wouldn't devalue shinies a single bit.

Edited by BoltBlades12
6 hours ago, Znooz said:

To reach the shiny rate cap you would have to reach 600k encounters without a shiny. #FeelsFairMan

From the odds I was giving an example of, you'd have to reach 9 million encounters to get the odds to a bare 1%. Even then, once you find one shiny, catch, hatch, or flee alike, the odds would reset back to the original 1/30k.

1 hour ago, BoltBlades12 said:

From the odds I was giving an example of, you'd have to reach 9 million encounters to get the odds to a bare 1%. Even then, once you find one shiny, catch, hatch, or flee alike, the odds would reset back to the original 1/30k.

With my example the shiny rate would cap at 0.00366666...% after 600k encounters without a shiny, and reset back to normal rates whenever a ecounter is made. With your example the rate would be higher already after 30k encounters than my example...

Edited by Znooz