Game population, development and community

After not really having played the game for a year or two, I recently log on more frequently again and I've noticed a rather signifcant increase in player population compared to let's say 2016. Is that correct? Will the admins ever publish official numbers? From what I've read on these forums and seen in game, especially a huge increase of the Chinese population has contributed massively to the overall growth of the PokeMMO community.

I am really happy to see PokeMMO doing unexpectingly well. I expected this game to slowly lose popularity and eventually stay in maintainance mode or even die. Awesome to see that the opposite is the case. Did only the Chinese population increase that much or is it an overall trend? I'm also curious about the effects of the increase of PokeMMO's popularity on future development. I assume more players also means more budget for developers, so can we expect new major updates more frequently? Are there now more people involved in game development? Was is neccessary to upgrade the game servers to handle higher player numbers?

Also, what effects did this have on the Community? Seems like shiny hunting is pretty popular among new players. What about PvP, are there now more high quality PvP players? Are there now more new players participating in automated matchmaking? Not that character names can reveal a player's nationality, but when I was browsing the tournament history I didn't really notice many "Chinese-looking" names.

Oh and are there any plans to upgrade community web pages at some point? Like adding subforums for languages other than English or using a less generic website style (this ultra clean blue/white layout with hardly any reference to Pokemon or the game [yeah I know they want to avoid copyright issues] is kinda boring in the long run, in my opinion)? And how about making certain in-game data accessible via the community website? On many MMORPG websites it's possible to see PvP ranks, inspect characters, etc. This could increase the community interaction outside the game...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing this game continuing to develop and seeing the community growing. Keep it up folks!

Edited by Guest
36 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

Will the admins ever publish official numbers

nop.

From what I've read on these forums and seen in game, especially a huge increase of the Chinese population has contributed massively to the overall growth of the PokeMMO community.

Contributed to growth? Nah, downfall of the economy, china nowadays is getting ip banned in a lot of mmos, in order to prevent the RMT situations, bots, currency selling websites etc, here, they welcome them. Due to them, economy is dead, shiny market is beyond bad, only thing that matters now is limited items.

39 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

Oh and are there any plans to upgrade community web pages at some point

There's a chinese unofficial forum, don't know URL.

38 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

I expected this game to slowly lose popularity

It lost a lot already, nowadays is a bunch of randoms, the good players, comp wise are deaded, a bunch of them just log for PSL games, or to play 1 or 2 tournaments.

Did only the Chinese population increase that much

they're probably 2/3 or even 3/4 of the current population, so yes.

40 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

Are there now more new players participating in automated matchmaking

well yes, although the chinese community doenst seem to be very interested in pvp.

26 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

After not really having played the game for a year or two, I recently log on more frequently again and I've noticed a rather signifcant increase in player population compared to let's say 2016. Is that correct?

Yes.

26 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

Will the admins ever publish official numbers? 

Doubt.jpg

27 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

Did only the Chinese population increase that much or is it an overall trend?

Overall increase has been there but of-course there is no way to know by how much since official numbers are not disclosed.

33 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

can we expect new major updates more frequently?

Sure. Go through the update logs and you can get an idea how often updates happen now.

34 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

Are there now more people involved in game development?

As far as the general public knows, no. Still the same number of developers on board.

Lower staff does keep changing though, but they are usually more involved with game management & not with game development.

Was is neccessary to upgrade the game servers to handle higher player numbers?

Probably yeah, cause the number of players were way too much. Was a necessary move to reduce lagging and other issues.

Also, what effects did this have on the Community?

Bunch of new events, new cosmetics, new economic trend, new staff, new people, new tier being added to PvP, and other bug fixes and upgrades in progress, etc etc

What about PvP, are there now more high quality PvP players?

Most official popular pvp tier events always go full so I guess you can say that.

Though while there is of-course an increase in quantity of players in PvP, cannot comment about the quality since that varies from every individual's perspective.

41 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

Are there now more new players participating in automated matchmaking?

Since comps are cheap asf to make and buy now... Yes, a lot of new players try it even if not properly skilled.

43 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

Not that character names can reveal a player's nationality, but when I was browsing the tournament history I didn't really notice many "Chinese-looking" names.

Official tournament brackets get full in an instant with pro players usually, and since CN community isn't fully versed with the competitive environment yet... Yeah you won't find much of them there... But can always find bunch of people with names such as 'adasab' 'assdg' etc etc playing matchmaking. Such named players are usually Chinese.

46 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

Oh and are there any plans to upgrade community web pages at some point?

Doubt it, no plans were ever announced about it, but maybe™

48 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

Like adding subforums for languages other than English or using a less generic website style (this ultra clean blue/white layout with hardly any reference to Pokemon or the game [yeah I know they want to avoid copyright issues] is kinda boring in the long run, in my opinion)?

Chinese already have their own forums for pokemmo managed by their own community.

We already have staff members who speak different languages from different countries to help out non english speaking players. So maybe in future special section would be added for other languages, but nothing can be said since no plans were made public to do such.

Also doubt the layout will be changed it has been this way since beginning. (And in my personal opinion, I find it neat and simple, which has it's own appeal)

52 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

And how about making certain in-game data accessible via the community website?

You can see in-game data relating to pokemmo official events on forums already. And other important game announcements and updates are made public here too. 

So most of the major data is accessible already.

Hope this helped, have fun, enjoy the game.

Give it a year or two and a vast majority of the tournament winners will be Chinese. They currently lack both the resources and the experience many of the people have who have been here since pre-2014, but once they have that covered the dominance will be evident. Also in a year or two every tournament will have to be 128 players minimum because unless they're hosted in Western times, they will get filled in a second. You can already see the demographics of this game by doing catch events: With Chinese hours you cannot even run your game because the lag is too high. During Western hours, none of the channels are lagging. The effort to become a casual compared the effort to become a top tier competitive player is so different that if this isn't the most clear cut proof about how grindy this game is, I don't think anything will be. Not exactly saying any of this is a bad thing in any way, just purely my observation.