Weather Team Counter

I personally have felt bother at the amount of Sand Teams so ive created a set to counter them

For anyone that is in need of finding a pokemon to end weather teams

here's a good set and pokemon to counter Rain/Sun [Mainly Sandstorm]

Golduck  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & White     ALL IDEAS AND STATS HAVE BEEN DAMAGE CALCED AS WELL AS TESTED IN BATTLE

GOLDUCK

Ability: Cloud Nine  (Cancels All Weather Effects While Pokemon Is Out)

Moveset: Surf, Psychic, Ice Beam, Petal Dance / HP Electric (Last move optional to change)

Item: Choice Scarf

EVS: 6 HP

252 SPATK 

252 SPEED

Nature: Modest

Set Allows for:

immediate defeat of Excadrill due to modest nature, it is a 100% OHKO from surf.

1-2 Hit KO of Pelipper (commonly used Pelipper moves can not defeat Golduck in 1 hit) Scald, U-Turn, Hurricane  [HURRICANE CAN CAUSE CONFUSION]

2 hit KO of Tyranitar (commonly used Tyranitar moves can not defeat Golduck in 1 hit) Earthquake, Stone Edge, Crunch 

2 hit KO of Hippodown (commonly used Hippodown moves can not defeat Golduck in 1 hit) Earthquake, Stone Edge, Ice Fang

2 Hit KO of Volcarona  (commonly used Volcarona moves can not defeat Golduck in 1 hit) Giga Drain, Bug Buzz, Fiery Dance      [GIGA DRAIN WILL KILL AT PLUS 1]

2 Hit KO of Hydregion  (commonly used Hydregion moves can not defeat Golduck in 1 hit) Surf, Earth Power, Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse    [HYDREGION OUTSPEEDS IF CHOICED]

2-3 Hit KO of Gyarados (commonly used Gyarados moves can not defeat Golduck in 1 hit) Waterfall, Ice Fang, Crunch, Earthquake,Bounce [IF PUT INTO SPDEF/HP POSSIBLE 2 HIT FROM BOUNCE]

Due to Choice Scarf Golduck's Speed will be 206. Obviously meaning it out speeds all pokemon with base 130 speed naturally without scarfs on them.

threats include:

Jolteon [BEATS GOLDUCK]

Crobat [GOLDUCK BEATS]

Aerodactyl [GOLDUCK BEATS]

etc.

If you have any questions about this set, let me know! but other than that i hope to see alot more Golducks in the future~

Edited by Gimmyreaper
Just now, pachima said:

You might want hp electric so you can take care of peliper too. (And gyarados). This way, it beats all weather setters.

true that could help, i didnt calc for gyara and pelp, so so for the fourth move it could work, and it would help against mantines as well [probably not kill but still could help]

Golduck is really quite terrible against sand, and the set you have put makes it that much worse. Not resisting ground or rock moves, your typically sand team attacks, and no recovery give you one, if your lucky, switch in before Golduck becomes borderline useless. 

I suppose it would work as a Sun counter, but no one runs sun teams so theres that. 

As for rain, your typical rain sweepers are going to be running a second STAB which again golduck wont resist, rock grass dragon. And then on top of that there is your typical rain team wall of ferrothorn which will love you running golduck.

tldr; no. good sand counters are skarm/hippo/bronzong. if only someone had suggested these :thonk:

30 minutes ago, DaftCoolio said:

Golduck is really quite terrible against sand, and the set you have put makes it that much worse. Not resisting ground or rock moves, your typically sand team attacks, and no recovery give you one, if your lucky, switch in before Golduck becomes borderline useless. 

I suppose it would work as a Sun counter, but no one runs sun teams so theres that. 

As for rain, your typical rain sweepers are going to be running a second STAB which again golduck wont resist, rock grass dragon. And then on top of that there is your typical rain team wall of ferrothorn which will love you running golduck.

tldr; no. good sand counters are skarm/hippo/bronzong. if only someone had suggested these :thonk:

Well from your response, it seems you dont really play comp too often or nearly at all, or youre just saying this out spite or anger, or just to say whatever you please, and thats fine, you can have your opinion. but everything you stated really has absolutely no basis or claims on how this would actually effect Sand/Rain teams. i understand probably didnt read anything i stated above as well as didnt do any calcs, so its understandable for you to be completely wrong. But the fact is Cloud Nine with Scarf completely walls alot of sand sand team mons. In case you dont know, in Comp you will not rely on 1 pokemon vs 6, in a battle you will use a team made up to counter others. this idea to add golduck is to help teams that already made to have better coverage and help against multiple types of teams. Yes, Skarm, Hippo/Bronzong are good counters to certain mons, but if you didnt know, Hippodown also has Sand Stream causing for Sand Teams to still have an advantage. i appreciate you trying to uh help or whatever that was, sadly you dont have anything to back yourself up with soooo thank you but Golduck has proven useful from battles ive used it in so far. i suggest learning the basics of comp/weather teams before tying to make critical judgement. especially if you have nothing to work with~ :)

P.s. not all pokemon will be bulky and need recovery. some pokemon actually are just straight attackers, isn't that cool!

Edited by Gimmyreaper

Look man if this is what you want.

45 minutes ago, Gimmyreaper said:

but everything you stated really has absolutely no basis or claims on how this would actually effect Sand/Rain teams.

Golduck doesnt resist ground or rock type thats a fact. sand teams commonly use ground and rock type moves, another fact. you probably want your walls to have some recovery or resists, not a fact but fairly logical. Your common rain sweepers kingdra/kabutops/ludicolo all have a second stab to hit golduck.

48 minutes ago, Gimmyreaper said:

But the fact is Cloud Nine with Scarf completely walls alot of sand sand team mons.

252+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Golduck: 226-267 (75 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Golduck: 145-172 (48.1 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Golduck: 269-317 (89.3 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

52 minutes ago, Gimmyreaper said:

i appreciate you trying to uh help or whatever that was

the reply wasn't for you as you as so clearly beyond help, the reply was for others who stumble upon this thread when looking for team building tips.

tldr:   CornyCreepyAustrianpinscher-small.gif 

1 hour ago, Gimmyreaper said:

Well from your response, it seems you dont really play comp too often or nearly at all, or youre just saying this out spite or anger, or just to say whatever you please, and thats fine, you can have your opinion. but everything you stated really has absolutely no basis or claims on how this would actually effect Sand/Rain teams. i understand probably didnt read anything i stated above as well as didnt do any calcs, so its understandable for you to be completely wrong. But the fact is Cloud Nine with Scarf completely walls alot of sand sand team mons. In case you dont know, in Comp you will not rely on 1 pokemon vs 6, in a battle you will use a team made up to counter others. this idea to add golduck is to help teams that already made to have better coverage and help against multiple types of teams. Yes, Skarm, Hippo/Bronzong are good counters to certain mons, but if you didnt know, Hippodown also has Sand Stream causing for Sand Teams to still have an advantage. i appreciate you trying to uh help or whatever that was, sadly you dont have anything to back yourself up with soooo thank you but Golduck has proven useful from battles ive used it in so far. i suggest learning the basics of comp/weather teams before tying to make critical judgement. especially if you have nothing to work with~ :)

P.s. not all pokemon will be bulky and need recovery. some pokemon actually are just straight attackers, isn't that cool!

This thread gets funnier and funnier

2 hours ago, Gimmyreaper said:

as the #1 on ou leaderboard i can assure that u are right my friend and everything u say makes sense. i also agree that the "DaftCoolio" guy is probably a newbie and just got into the competitive scene because his answers clearly shows he doesnt understand anything about comp or teambuilding.

3 hours ago, DaftCoolio said:

Look man if this is what you want.

Golduck doesnt resist ground or rock type thats a fact. sand teams commonly use ground and rock type moves, another fact. you probably want your walls to have some recovery or resists, not a fact but fairly logical. Your common rain sweepers kingdra/kabutops/ludicolo all have a second stab to hit golduck.

252+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Golduck: 226-267 (75 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Golduck: 145-172 (48.1 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Golduck: 269-317 (89.3 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

the reply wasn't for you as you as so clearly beyond help, the reply was for others who stumble upon this thread when looking for team building tips.

tldr:   CornyCreepyAustrianpinscher-small.gif 

Yikes, there ya go again. i dont really wanna be that guy to constantly be rude but youre not taking anything into consideration again haha.

as ive mentioned before, Golduck gets Cloud Nine. The moment Cloud Nine starts till the pokmeon has fainted or switched out, will stop weather. if Tyranitar

gets the 88 percent high roll there will be no sand stream damage because of Cloud Nine. Same goes for Hippodown. 

Also id like to stat, again, Cloud Nine, stops sand,, Excadrill wont have Sand Rush now, and gets OHKO'ed by Surf.

so really what you just said justified my set even more lmao.

Btw, Luccidolo, Kindgra, and kabutops also lose their swift swim abilities. but youre right on Kingdra, itll live with 20ish percent if using golduck, however kabutops gets 1 shot from petal dance and 2 shot HP electric. Also Golduck with Single Beam has a 98% chance to defeat if Ludicolo is full sp atking with life orb.

i mean if you really wanna keep arguing over nothing go ahead, its childish but its a game, if a set works and is good why try to say something negative about it when you cant even do it properly? i really dont mind that you just dont like golduck but the facts are that its not bad lmao 

What the OP said totally made sense. 

It's disrespectful for Excadrill to switch out against lord Golduck, and no Rain and Sand team really runs Ferrothorn and the likes to cover water and and electric moves anymore. 

If I don't see Golduck moving up to OU next month after OP's wonderful discovery then there's clearly something wrong with the council here.

27 minutes ago, Gimmyreaper said:

Golduck gets Cloud Nine.

only thing he has in his favor really, and why he might, have a really really tiny niche for some doubles teams, and that's about it. Well, I mean it's not only that but the fact that he also learns psych up, which is a meme move for doubles in general.

Excadrill wont have Sand Rush now

You will not be able to counter excadrill, nor go in on excadrill safely, therefor not a counter, at best it's a pseudo water check, that near every other water type can also be.

tw, Luccidolo, Kindgra, and kabutops also lose their swift swim abilities.

Yeah ludicolo still eats you alive, but he's barely even used in OU due to the fact that well, we got ferrothorn, kingdra still shits on golduck, kabutops aswell. 

if a set works and is good

then you go ahead and try to make it work, I really want to see this happening :)

Edited by razimove
3 minutes ago, razimove said:

only thing he has in his favor really, and why he might, have a really really tiny niche for some doubles teams, and that's about it. Well, I mean it's not only that but the fact that he also learns psych up, which is a meme move for doubles in general.

You will not be able to counter excadrill, nor go in on excadrill safely, therefor not a counter, at best it's a pseudo water check, that near every other water type can also be.

Yeah ludicolo still eats you alive, but he's barely even used in OU due to the fact that well, we got ferrothorn, kingdra still shits on golduck, kabutops aswell. 

then you go ahead and try to make it work, I really want to see this happening :)

i mean it does work its been tested multiple times, and excadrill cant do anything to golduck. i think you and the other guy are forgetting that golduck is scarfed, it completely walls kabutops and excadrill if you want to try to make that claim.  exca can only have 154 speed at lv.50, [with sand rush its 308] sand rush is completely stopped and scarfed golduck has 206 speed and outspeeds it, allowing for a 1 shot from surf if modest nature.

1 minute ago, razimove said:

I give up.

Im not trying to mean or just to be petty on a forum. i just want to helps others and obviously that was a bad idea for trying to share something that can work in most situations -\(._.)/-

if you think its bad, im not telling you youre wrong, its your opinion and your sets, man i run a rain dance assult rest special def kartana in USUM. my sets get weird and sometimes are almost laughable. so i dont blame anyone that thinks its bad, but at least give it a shot or something before saying it wont work, ya know?

5 hours ago, Gimmyreaper said:

Well from your response, it seems you dont really play comp too often or nearly at all, or youre just saying this out spite or anger, or just to say whatever you please, and thats fine, you can have your opinion.

Tier Council. Does not play Comps. Ouch <.<

4 hours ago, SweeTforU said:

as the #1 on ou leaderboard i can assure that u are right my friend and everything u say makes sense. i also agree that the "DaftCoolio" guy is probably a newbie and just got into the competitive scene because his answers clearly shows he doesnt understand anything about comp or teambuilding.

ueB9r0w.png

As the player with the second highest winrate in the top 20 I agree with @SweeTforU and @Gimmyreaper. Who is this guy coolio and what is he talking about lol? 

Im sure @pachima would agree too, I saw him using golduck on the ladder paired with a 0 speed lead excadrill

35 minutes ago, Funkykong said:

Tier Council. Does not play Comps. Ouch <.<

I meaaan... Some of the tier counsil members actually don't.. (zeb, arte) and tbh I dont even know who half of the tc members are

Edited by FNTCZ
2 minutes ago, FNTCZ said:

ueB9r0w.png

As the player with the second highest winrate in the top 20 I agree with @SweeTforU and @Gimmyreaper. Who is this guy coolio and what is he talking about lol? 

I meaaan... Some of the tier counsil members actually don't.. (zeb, arte)

Thank you, im just trying to make more counters to popular things right now, and yes it may be from NU, but it doesnt stop the fact that it helps. thank you for understanding that.

6 hours ago, Gimmyreaper said:

if you think its bad, im not telling you youre wrong, its your opinion and your sets, man i run a rain dance assult rest special def kartana in USUM. my sets get weird and sometimes are almost laughable. so i dont blame anyone that thinks its bad, but at least give it a shot or something before saying it wont work, ya know?

I can't get enough of this.

It's time for you guys to broaden your horizon. People who run HP fire ferrothorn to counter kartana must have all fallen victim to this tanky rain dance AV set.

18 minutes ago, Gimmyreaper said:

Thank you, im just trying to make more counters to popular things right now, and yes it may be from NU, but it doesnt stop the fact that it helps. thank you for understanding that.

Looking forward to your creations and responses in the future ;)

Edited by SinPoke