Follower Pokemon Instantly In Battle

Michelle

Question

I was thinking it seems odd to throw my following Pokemon out of the ball when entering a battle, as it's already out. Could this bit of the animation be skipped if the Pokemon is your current follower? This was a feature back in Pokemon Yellow, where Pikachu would slide(jump) into battle, and others would poof from their Pokeballs.

The only downside I could think of would be people who aren't using followers, and could miss out saving half a second(Not to mention the encounter speed increase of course). Thoughts?

Video Example

Edited by Michelle

5 answers to this question

17 hours ago, Michelle said:

I was thinking it seems odd to throw my following Pokemon out of the ball when entering a battle, as it's already out. Could this bit of the animation be skipped if the Pokemon is your current follower? This was a feature back in Pokemon Yellow, where Pikachu would slide(jump) into battle, and others would poof from their Pokeballs.

The only downside I could think of would be people who aren't using followers, and could miss out saving half a second(Not to mention the encounter speed increase of course). Thoughts?

Video Example

It seems strange that such a curious feature has disappeared as the generations progressed .. I think it is a curious and odd suggestion haha but it would not be the craziest idea that they have proposed, it would make sense but would not bring any improvement to the game itself. , and I do not even know if it's technically possible ..

6 minutes ago, TSLuluAylen said:

It seems strange that such a curious feature has disappeared as the generations progressed .. I think it is a curious and odd suggestion haha but it would not be the craziest idea that they have proposed, it would make sense but would not bring any improvement to the game itself. , and I do not even know if it's technically possible ..

I'm really not sure if it would be either, I could see the only technical snag being disabling throwing the animation, and implementing something that works smoothly, rather than the Pokemon just appearing(Which would still feel better than tossing your follower from the Pokeball again).

This actually isn't a removed feature as the games progressed, and in-fact takes place within HeartGold/SoulSilver as well. I found an example here.

My main issue with this feature is that in order to be most time-efficient, the player must sacrifice a large aspect of customization - being able to actually choose their follower. Although the suggestion sounds neat in theory, many would find it frustrating in practice. Gen 5 followers also cause some issues, since some players can see them via mods and others can't.

(This feature actually was removed/not implemented in later generations of the handhelds - it only exists in Yellow/Heart Gold/Soul Silver, since none of the others have followers.)

That's a fair point, it would be odd to see everyone with a Smeargle following them.. but in the same stride, the realism applications are quite nice. Situations where showing off a follower and hunting in a certain way are usually common practice, but it isn't the only opportunity to show off followers. Personally I would love solidifying the feeling that the Pokemon is adventuring about with me/hunting with me, ect. As the HeartGold/SouldSilver video I'd posted shows, perhaps we could eliminate the time saving bonus, and just remove the Pokeball from the character's entry animation. The aesthetics alone would be very pleasing.. n_n;

10 hours ago, Rache said:

My main issue with this feature is that in order to be most time-efficient, the player must sacrifice a large aspect of customization - being able to actually choose their follower.

This is only true if follower transition is shorter than the one getting out of pokeball.

10 hours ago, Rache said:

Gen 5 followers also cause some issues, since some players can see them via mods and others can't.

This could be solved by just playing follower transition when you are able to see a follower so 5gen works only with mod. If taking mod in account to decide which animation to play is something out of question, you could simply leave 5gen with pokeball animation.