Johto Starters

BoltBlades12

Question

Ok, it's a bit ridiculous and unfair to have the johto starters be in the hoenn safari zone out of all places, because not only do they have high run rate, but you can also hardly catch them. I get why Chansey is in the safari zone, because not only is it one of the original safari mons, but it also holds a rare and useful item(lucky egg).

The Johto starters should be taken out of the hoenn safari zone and put somewhere else. Or better yet, reduce their run rate.

9 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, BoltBlades12 said:

Ok, it's a bit ridiculous and unfair to have the johto starters be in the hoenn safari zone out of all places, because not only do they have high run rate, but you can also hardly catch them. I get why Chansey is in the safari zone, because not only is it one of the original safari mons, but it also holds a rare and useful item(lucky egg).

The Johto starters should be taken out of the hoenn safari zone and put somewhere else. Or better yet, reduce their run rate.

Some people may get the thrill of catching certain exclusive pokemon from the Safari Zone. You gave Chansey as an example and there is a certain level of enjoyment you get from catching the Chansey in the Safari. Why not make the level of enjoyment that much better? Perhaps a few Johto starters in the Hoenn Safari can help to drive player enthusiasm up (and it did for a lot of people during the time it was first implemented).

As a person that has a complete OT Dex, it is fun for me to search and catch the pokemon in the Hoenn Safari Zone.

Yeah, they are fitting quite nicely in the Hoenn SZ at the moment, but I have always wondered-- could they be lined up for starter selection alongside the Kanto or Hoenn regions. I know it would be tricky considering how you choose the starters(3 Pokeballs), but perhaps the "Yes/No" prompt when choosing them could offer two pokemon of the same type in-place of the "Yes/No" prompt. I don't know if we'll get Johto anytime soon and being able to use those starters as they were intended would be a welcomed change for me. I do agree over-all that these starters could use an additional method that doesn't effect intended balances.

Edited by Michelle
10 hours ago, Bestfriends said:

Some people may get the thrill of catching certain exclusive pokemon from the Safari Zone. You gave Chansey as an example and there is a certain level of enjoyment you get from catching the Chansey in the Safari. Why not make the level of enjoyment that much better? Perhaps a few Johto starters in the Hoenn Safari can help to drive player enthusiasm up (and it did for a lot of people during the time it was first implemented).

As a person that has a complete OT Dex, it is fun for me to search and catch the pokemon in the Hoenn Safari Zone.

I also mentioned the idea of possibly nerfing their run rate since they're so rare and aren't as relevant of catches as chansey. The fact that not only they're super rare but super easy to run makes them not worth the time catching and buying them off gtl for ridiculous prices.

On 11/11/2018 at 3:19 PM, BoltBlades12 said:

I also mentioned the idea of possibly nerfing their run rate since they're so rare and aren't as relevant of catches as chansey. The fact that not only they're super rare but super easy to run makes them not worth the time catching and buying them off gtl for ridiculous prices.

You just balance your needs(species,iv,ot) with actions you will make to get them ($,time).

In your current situation you are willing to pay "$" and "OT" to save "time" and acquire "species" you want.  I honestly dont see the problem.

The point of putting them in the Hoenn Safari Zone in the first place was to make them available (since they were pretty much the only Johto species not-available) but keeping them at a rate that didn't detract too much from their eventual implementation in Johto itself.

"Well, you can get them here for now, but they'll be hard to obtain."

Some things are rare, and that is okay.

8 hours ago, Darkshade said:

The point of putting them in the Hoenn Safari Zone in the first place was to make them available (since they were pretty much the only Johto species not-available) but keeping them at a rate that didn't detract too much from their eventual implementation in Johto itself.

"Well, you can get them here for now, but they'll be hard to obtain."

Some things are rare, and that is okay.

I get your logic. It's just that I'm sure there could've been a better place to put them. Also, they could have been made to not run almost every time they break out of a ball. Rarity I understand. That's the case with most of the starters I know. But the fact that you can only get the johto starters through the safari game and topping them off with a run rate higher than chansey's makes it irritating/not worth the catch.

Johto starters are primarily in Hoenn because in the original hoenn games you received them as a reward for pokédex completion.

There is method to the madness, sure they weren't in the safari zone but to maintain their value and rarity it's a good place for them.

If they're not worth trying to catch then simply don't catch them and buy them off of the GTL, but if you want them enough to chase after them then they are worth the effort to catch. It's quite simple. If everything is common in the game its much more dull than if some things are rare.