[LC Discussion] Misdreavus

1bb7d676c12ea8a1202509bb20c59631.png 

The recent departure of Scraggy from Little Cup has meant the further emergence of Misdreavus in the tier. Relatively similar to Gengar in our old OU, Misdreavus is incredibly well rounded and can perform a variety of roles effectively within a team. Access to moves such as calm mind, will-o-wisp, thunder wave, pain split, taunt can make this pokemon difficult to face when it isn't blowing you away with its diverse attacking moves like shadow ball thunderbolt psychic and then the possibility of hidden power. Arguably what makes Misdreavous so dangerous is its speed. Hitting 19, with a timid nature ,lets you out speed borderline everything that isn't scarf and when you pair this speed with moves like will-o-wisp or calm mind getting in first can make a big difference. 

Porygon is fairly reliable but can struggle against sub cm, Munchlax can also work but can lose out to will-o-wisp sets. Pawniard, Houndour and Vullaby can work but are dependent on the Misdreavus set. Other hipster things im sure people like pachima will post about. Also other physical fire types like Ponyta and Larvesta with flame charge could be interesting but are more checks than counters and even then hp rock while probably non-existent on Misdreavus is a possibility.

The tier council would like to hear your thoughts on Misdreavus in the current Little Cup tier, whether you believe it is banworthy and should be sent to the shadow realm or let it stay in Little Cup and have us continue to struggle to spell its name correctly.

My list of shitty checks/counters:

Venonat

Spoiler

Venonat @ Eviolite  
Ability: Tinted Lens  
Level: 5  
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Leech Life  
- Morning Sun  
- Agility  
- Disable  

or

- Leech Life  
- Morning Sun  
- Screech (going through sub)

Bronzor

Spoiler

Bronzor @ Berry Juice  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 60 HP / 220 Atk / 228 SpD  
Brave Nature  
- Payback  
- Recycle  

Fire Types:

Spoiler

Ponyta @ Eviolite  
Ability: Flash Fire  
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Atk / 236 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Flame Charge  
- Morning Sun  
- Toxic  

Larvesta @ Eviolite  
Ability: Flame Body  
EVs: 156 HP / 236 SpD / 116 Spe  
Careful Nature  
- Flame Charge  
- Morning Sun  
- Toxic  

Growlithe @ Eviolite  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 76 HP / 116 Atk / 196 SpD / 116 Spe  
Careful Nature  
- Flame Charge  
- Toxic  
- Morning Sun  

Lileep

Spoiler

Lileep @ Eviolite  
Ability: Suction Cups  
EVs: 68 HP / 108 Atk / 220 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Recover  
- Bullet Seed  
- Sandstorm

Munchlax

Spoiler

Munchlax @ Berry Juice  
Ability: Thick Fat  
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Recycle  
- Amnesia  
- Pursuit / Seed Bomb

Porygon

Spoiler

Porygon @ Eviolite  
Ability: Trace  
EVs: 236 HP / 36 Def / 236 SpD  
Calm Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Foul Play  
- Recover  
- Thunder Wave

Some grass types with access to Synthesis might be able to stop Misdreavus as well. Maybe Foongus Foul Play/Pay Back or Bulbasaur Amnesia?

Edited by gbwead

I think gb's list of reliable MisD counters is pretty spot on and that is my biggest concern about it. Lots of the sets just seem very gimmicky in order to check Misdreavus. Not amazing thing if we want to have the tier open for further creativity and diversity. And worst thing about them is that although they do beat Misdreavus 1v1, it is very rarely a clean trade-off so the value you get out of Misdreavus even in the worst case scenario makes it quite Uberworthy to my taste.

Although Misdreavus for sure is technically more checkable than Scraggy and Murkrow was, for example.

Other hipster things im sure people like pachima will post about.

actually lol'd

I’m not overly familiar with LC so this is just speculation, but would Mienfoo not become an issue were it not for Misdreavus? It’s probably the wrong way to be looking at it but I seem to remember a similar “necessary evil” argument being used when Poliwrath was rife in old meta NU, as it kept stuff like Aggron and Sharpedo locked down

4 hours ago, Zymogen said:

I’m not overly familiar with LC so this is just speculation, but would Mienfoo not become an issue were it not for Misdreavus? It’s probably the wrong way to be looking at it but I seem to remember a similar “necessary evil” argument being used when Poliwrath was rife in old meta NU, as it kept stuff like Aggron and Sharpedo locked down

Mienfoo has many other checks/counters that banning misdreavus would not have an impact on it. Also a piece of tiering advice is that you shouldn't worry about what the future meta will look like, as you can always fix the future meta by banning something else.

Overall, I'm a bit split on misdreavus currently. I'm inclined to say it's not banworthy currently, but if it gains access to nasty plot via spiritomb, that would definitely push it over the edge as it means porygon/munchlax can no longer avoid being 2hko'ed by misdreavus.

As it stands currently, misdreavus seems to be running shadow ball+hp fighting almost always, with either sub+calm mind, pain split+will o wisp, or sub+thunderbolt as the last 2 moves. Eviolite roost vullaby is able to stop all of these sets and the only one it would struggle against would be a misdreavus that has calm mind and thunderbolt, which means that misdreavus will no longer have a protection against status and won't be able to scout enemy switches with substitute. 

Another important thing to note is that misdreavus is mostly bulky from its eviolite, so if you knock it off with mienfoo, ferroseed, timburr, etc, then it becomes much easier to stop. I think in the current LC meta, there is enough offensive pressure for misdreavus to rarely get a good chance to set up, and the viability of scarf users is high enough that a set up misdreavus can still be revenge killed fairly easily. It also helps that vullaby+porygon, two of the better answers to misdreavus, are also very viable A/S rank mons in the LC meta, so you're not really being forced to run weird gimmicks to deal with misdreavus, unlike what gbwead is trying to claim. 

Honestly ban it, so I can spam my scarfed dynamic punch machop and gg every team. --'

E: wouldn't a complex ban fix misdreavus issue? Will o wisp is the main problem imo.

Careful munchlax and hippo crunch can easily beat misdreavus 1v1.

Also munchlax can stockpile, so if it's not burned, misdreavus loses against it.

And as stated above, if misdreavus is gone, Fighting pokemons will dominate the tier tbh. 

Edited by Lazaaro
21 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

@laz whether it would or wouldnt solve the isuse complex bans are a last resort. 

Like i said, once misdreavus is banned, gl stopping dynamich punch machop.

Gengar and drifloon can be easily trapped by pursuit munchlax, scarfed dynamic punch has 50% to win against vullaby, and cb dynamic punch is a guaranteed 2hko so. Also jolly eviolite rock slide always hits, so vullaby probably wont be an answer to machop.

So yeah, the consequences of banning misdreavus are terrible imo.

2 minutes ago, Lazaaro said:

Gengar and drifloon can be easily trapped by pursuit munchlax, scarfed dynamic punch has 50% to win against vullaby, and cb dynamic punch is a guaranteed 2hko so. Also jolly eviolite rock slide always hits, so vullaby probably wont be an answer to machop.

use slowpoke

5 minutes ago, Lazaaro said:

argument of "if you ban this broken thing, this other thing will be broken" is wrong. ban all the broken things and you have a balanced tier. if something is actually broken and only kept in check by this other broken thing, it is broken and needs to go.

12 hours ago, DaftCoolio said:

Other hipster things im sure people like pachima will post about.

5 minutes ago, pachima said:

use slowpoke

1 minute ago, fredrichnietze said:

argument of "if you ban this broken thing, this other thing will be broken" is wrong. ban all the broken things and you have a balanced tier. if something is actually broken and only kept in check by this other broken thing, it is broken and needs to go.

Welp if wow is banned on misdreavus ( the same way draco meteor is banned on hydreigon ), problem solved.

But yeah not everyone can agree 

I wouldn't be scared of scarf dynamicpunch machop after Misd's departure. Metagame will always evolve and find it's way to handle the issue- no matter how obscure the counter is. Imo LC would have a big bunch of pokes capable of either stopping or even countering Machop. Golett, Foongus, Larvesta (flame body ftw), Solosis, Drifloon, Gastly... And these are coming to my mind just now, without actually playing the tier (I'm slowly getting into it ;) ).

People will adapt, don't worry. The fact that something that isn't used at all currently will rise in usage due to disappearance of a broken mon like MisD shouldn't be an argument. We should never keep a broken mon in a tier to keep another broken mon in check.

4 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

I wouldn't be scared of scarf dynamicpunch machop after Misd's departure. Metagame will always evolve and find it's way to handle the issue- no matter how obscure the counter is. Imo LC would have a big bunch of pokes capable of either stopping or even countering Machop. Golett, Foongus, Larvesta (flame body ftw), Solosis, Drifloon, Gastly... And these are coming to my mind just now, without actually playing the tier (I'm slowly getting into it ;) ).

People will adapt, don't worry. The fact that something that isn't used at all currently will rise in usage due to disappearance of a broken mon like MisD shouldn't be an argument. We should never keep a broken mon in a tier to keep another broken mon in check.

Why was hydreigon complex banned instead of just being banned is what tilts me. Why can't we do the same in lc since it can clearly fix the problem.

Just now, Lazaaro said:

Why was hydreigon complex banned instead of just being banned is what tilts me. Why can't we do the same in lc since it can clearly fix the problem.

I totally agree with you here, I'm also trifled and really not fond of Hydrei not having access to Draco Meteor as I totally fail to see how it would suddenly become OP, especially without even giving us a chance to use it. It already has a 4mss... actually let's move this discussion here cuz I'm making a post about it as we speak :p

• Munya pinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.