How do you raise a trainer's tier?

A lot of my Kanto rematches are pretty much maxing out at level 48, which to my understanding is a tier 2 trainer. I'm trying to bump it up to tier 3 (where they have level 56's), but there's no information on how to do that.

I've beat the Elite 4 twice on all but Unova. My party is in the 70's. I've rematched (for example) the group of gamblers east of Vermilion dozens of times. What more am I supposed to do to get them to rise?

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

Overworld NPC's, besides Gym leaders/E4, reach those levels max. They arent supposed to scale up even further, its intentional.

So it's just a predetermined class for the trainer? For example, those Gamblers will always be considered tier 2 and never go higher than tier 2 and max out at 48, while post Unova area trainers are considered tier 3 and will max out at 56?

Edited by Raichu4u
3 minutes ago, Raichu4u said:

So it's just a predetermined class for the trainer? For example, those Gamblers will always be considered tier 2 and never go higher than tier 2 and max out at 48, while post Unova area trainers are considered tier 3 and will max out at 56?

Yeah, not all NPC's have the same 'max' level.