Remove Trade Filter from Global Chat UPVOTE

nblaze0

Question

19 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, razimove said:

This would make global more of a mess, than it already is, personally, no thanks.

how is it a mess and how would it? you cant even say sell or anything.

example:" there are alot of shiny basculin and shiny garbodor on the market. i wouldnt even be excited if i caught since it prolly wont sell." 

got blocked by that filter and thats just one time a message got blocked. its really annoying and global isnt a mess at all if u filter out other languages

I agree with this post. The trade filter is redundant tbh, it filters out things not even remotely related to trade while those who wanna sell on other chats easily get around it. If someone tries vending on channel or global chat, odds are, someone will tell them to type "/trade" and if they don't listen and keep spamming, report them. The community doesn't like spammers and will get rid of them, doing a better job than a filter that filters out everything but a trade. Pretty annoying if you ask me, especially when it's a long message and you have no idea what triggered the filter cause there's nothing there about trade or involving the letters S E and L in a row.

Also, it never stops people from spamming global/local [EN] with "VENDE/VENDA [Pokemon]" 20 times in a row before someone responds to the support request. I think the trade filter is redundant as heck

5 minutes ago, nblaze0 said:

how is it a mess and how would it? you cant even say sell or anything.

example:" there are alot of shiny basculin and shiny garbodor on the market. i wouldnt even be excited if i caught since it prolly wont sell." 

got blocked by that filter and thats just one time a message got blocked. its really annoying and global isnt a mess at all if u filter out other languages

Disabling would be bad, making a 'smart' filter would be the smart move. But disabling completely would be terrible.

There's good and bad without a trade filter. The good is the ease of saying whatever and not dealing with the little things trade filter stops like "roselia", "vendor" etc due to a few letters, but the bad is that nothing mildly stops people from spamming the chats with trade stuff. I'd propose an alternative where a message(something that can't be ignored like system stuff) is sent to the person if trade filter picks up something along the lines of "please go to trade chat for {message}"  but still allow the message to go through to other chats. Then noobs can't argue that because there isn't enforcement, it's allowed.

1 minute ago, PhoenixNoah said:

There's good and bad without a trade filter. The good is the ease of saying whatever and not dealing with the little things trade filter stops like "roselia", "vendor" etc due to a few letters, but the bad is that nothing mildly stops people from spamming the chats with trade stuff. I'd propose an alternative where a message(something that can't be ignored like system stuff) is sent to the person if trade filter picks up something along the lines of "please go to trade chat for {message}"  but still allow the message to go through to other chats. Then noobs can't argue that because there isn't enforcement, it's allowed.

Dig this idea, but tbh, I think community is a better tool than the filter. And a smart filter is a waste of programming time that could be used to develop other things in the game. Just file a support request when someone doesn't listen when they're told they're in the wrong chat for themselves. It's so difficult trying to fix a message that's completely irrelevant to trading when you have no idea which word to change...

19 minutes ago, Desu said:

Can someone make a list of false positives? I'll see about tweaking the rules to avoid them.

people's name can trigger it. Because of that a list wouldn't fully work because since it ignores space in between word anyone with a name ending in ven or se is at risk to get people to get falsely filtered has trade. 

But if you want a list i have at least 2 that annoy me fairly often 

1. Roselia

2. Even do

31 minutes ago, Desu said:

Can someone make a list of false positives? I'll see about tweaking the rules to avoid them.

The letters S, E and L in a row, even if it's a word starting with L after a word like "these". And there's LOTS of false positives no one's been able to identify. I for one vote for an option for "spamming wrong chat" under Player Reporting in Support Requests, for people who've been pointed in the right direction but won't listen. I have had a message recently fail the filter 15 times before I gave up. It had nothing to do with trade. :(

Edited by Dibbzzz
more info
30 minutes ago, Dibbzzz said:

Player Reporting in Support Requests, for people who've been pointed in the right direction but won't listen.

I believe this already happens, when a Staff member asks you directly to stop, and people keep going, they end up muted. Regarding the subject, I guess it's in your best interest to help Desu figure out, what words are getting filtered, so they can try and make a better/smarter filter.

The issue usually occurs for me on stuff that's very clearly not trade related, and I try to change my message a bunch of times then sit there for 10 minutes trying to guess which spanish word is slipped in there, between two of my words, causing the filter - aka it's the space causing the problem (and also causing us to not know what triggered the filter). I remember specifically one case. When I hatched a shiny totodile, I tried to post it to global about 20 times with a message saying "After 15 months of breeding totodiles and dittos it finally happened [Totodile]", or something very similar, and kept getting the trade response after changing it each time, removing or changing a word each time and hoping that word was causing the issue. Still to this day i have NO idea what is wrong with that post. "Even do" is another extremely common one that I see. Sorry, I know we need a list and this doesn't contribute to that, but I think this is the part people find most annoying.

I agree that I've spent a lot of time trying to go back and figure out why my message was filtered and on many occasions just gave up and opted not to answer someone's question or walked away from a discussion out of frustration.

However, as a person who remembers how it used to be.. meh. I'd be all for harsher punishment for purposeful offenders if the filter were removed.