[Forums] Non-English Speakers

Yibuzy

Question

I don't think I am the only one who is tired of topics where the OP don't use english and doesn't translate his post.

Quite often, it's the same person who does it and there is no sanction like a mute or anything to prevent it from happening again.

Can something be done to resolve this please?

There's a few exemple just from the last hour: 

Edited by Yibuzy
More accurate title.

11 answers to this question

43 minutes ago, razimove said:

They're new users, a sanction doens't prevent new users from doing this. 

Only way to prevent something like this, would be with some sort of language filter.

But it could prevent them from doing it again. And some older users respond to them without any translation too.

But I agree with you on the need of a language filter.

1 hour ago, SodaNaranja said:

They get a warning explaining what they did wrong and what should they do in the future and that's enough, may the behaviour continue they get a proper punishment. 

Unfortunately, it was maybe enough when the game had less players. But in the last week, I saw so many of those kinds of topics and even though they get a warning, it won't stop anything because many others will do the same a few hours after.

The idea of Razimove about a language filter should get considered imo. 

We moderate forum, game, and discord at this moment. As you might have noticed, spam post you've described were reported to us via forum report feature and been taken care of.
I'm sorry if you feel ignored- currently, we have around 1000 ban appeals, and I only can make you sure we are looking at every case carefully, to assure no one will be in a situation, when, let me quote "they did nothing and got banned". 

This is not a place for discussion like this, however. If you think any behavior of staff is unacceptable, you can always send PM to me, Kizhaz or Rache explaining what was done. 

As for your suggestion- I might agree that filter might work, but it doesn't resolve the issue completely. As being said, we take actions towards users posting non-English only posts, and it's very rare for them to repeat this after our intervention. In my opinion, they are very often people who can't really understand the English language- and while it might be obnoxious to see posts in other languages from time to time, priority is to pass them the information needed, as well as inform them to use English, or at least some form of translation. 

18 hours ago, Yibuzy said:

I don't think I am the only one who is tired of topics where the OP don't use english and doesn't translate his post.

Quite often, it's the same person who does it and there is no sanction like a mute or anything to prevent it from happening again.

Can something be done to resolve this please?

There's a few exemple just from the last hour: 

That's completely narcissistic on your part, PokéMMO is for users of all languages, the fact that you do not like Spanish-speaking players is your problem, and that's not why they should be banned or punished.

Spoiler

Estúpido yankie con complejos de Donald Trump.

2 minutes ago, Gav2 said:

the fact that you do not like Spanish-speaking players is your problem, and that's not why they should be banned or punished.

This is wrong though, as the rules state that all posts on the forums must be in English or include an English translation. That's what the issue here is, the amount of threads that don't follow this rule, thus wanting them to be punished in some way. 

7 minutes ago, ImFunk said:

This is wrong though, as the rules state that all posts on the forums must be in English or include an English translation. That's what the issue here is, the amount of threads that don't follow this rule, thus wanting them to be punished in some way. 

keep in mind that most players who post in Spanish or Portuguese are new players looking for a solution or help from a member of the staff, and by not getting that help in the game, they look for it in the forum, and not all they know the rules of this, so punishing them does not seem like a good idea, the ideal would be to explain how things work when posting in the forum.

1 minute ago, Gav2 said:

the ideal would be to explain how things work when posting in the forum.

I agree with this. I was simply pointing out that this suggestion was not made because they dislike Spanish speaking players, rather because they continually break this rule. Your original post made it sound like they want people punished simply for speaking Spanish, which is not the case. You can speak Spanish as much as you want, as long as you follow the rule of providing an English translation. 

28 minutes ago, Gav2 said:

keep in mind that most players who post in Spanish or Portuguese are new players looking for a solution or help from a member of the staff, and by not getting that help in the game, they look for it in the forum, and not all they know the rules of this, so punishing them does not seem like a good idea, the ideal would be to explain how things work when posting in the forum.

This is exactly what happens. We let them know, using verbal messages on the forum- We let them know that it's a rule here to use English translations, also asking to pm us instead if that's impossible for various reasons.

Whenever it means pointing at correct forum section, or guide, we try to help those players, while still enforcing "post English translation" rule. Keep in mind, that "verbal notice" is not a punishment at all- it doesn't make any negative consequences for a player, it's just literally pat in back telling them what's wrong, and what to do next. 

just throwing this out here since this could potentially be a solution to the issue

basically noob would be able to pm directly with someone that could help them in their language insted of making a thread in the general discussion. they could also potentially add text in different language to help people (just like they did for chinese in the ban appeal section).

this obviously isn't fool proof but hey every little bit help.