How much money do I need to get back into the game after being gone for a year?

How much money you need depends on your needs. I'll guess a new competitive team, held items for them, TM/tutor, bp moves/PP maxes etc.

I would advise you to try some matchmaking battles to get a slight idea about the current meta and what kind of team you want to make.

If you're aiming for perfect 5/6x31 natured then that will take a lot of money (600k-1M per Pokemon) but if you want something economical you can try 2/3x31 3x27+ natured. It takes far lesser money to breed Pokemon like that. If you plan your breeding correctly, you can avoid some extra spending on TM as TMs and levelup moves are passed when you breed a Pokemon.

Spending money on tutors and PP maxes can be avoided as the items requested by tutors are farmable and PP maxes can be crafted.

Fun is a relative term that can mean something else for you than it means for someone else.

But you can try Battle frontier, gym rematches, Elite 4 rematches if you like PvP. Now that most of the moves items and abilities have been implemented the sets NPC sets are way better now with a better updated NPC AI.

If not that then you can try Casual breeding, item farming and collection, Pokemon farming and collection, alt runs, official/ unofficial events, shiny hunting or just trying out new things. There is something new everyday for a casual player to do. Also, the game is constantly updating and adding new things for all kinds of players. Keep a look out for that.